Author Topic: Life Vests for Dogs?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Life Vests for Dogs?
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:01:19 pm »
Ok we're considering getting a life vest for Kali.  But we're not sure on what brands are good or not....so any recommendation s would be appreciated.  She's about 105 lbs now and I think she's going to stay around that size.  I just want her to stay safe until she gets experience swimming plus she may get to go out on a boat on occasion.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Life Vests for Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:19:13 pm »
I don't really have any advice about what kind of lifevest to buy, but I just wanted to share a quick story. 

Our first Newfie Molly was afraid of the water. :-\ We used to take her camping at the lake in the summer and she would get upset when we were in the water cooling off.  So, we made her a lifejacket hoping that she would be more relaxed.  It didn't work, but she was very cute in it...

mjjensen

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:26:50 pm »
  I work in a boatyard on an island here in Maine and I see dogs in life vests quite often. Ruffwear and Petfloat are the most ruggedly made ones I've seen and they both have handles on the back which can be a big help if Kali ever does go overboard.

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:57:46 am »
Yup. I second that. Mine all have Ruffwear K9 Floatcoats. We use them here when we teach puppies to swim, when we are working on water training so as not to overly exhaust anyone, anytime they are out on boats, ect... The handles come in VERY handy, and there is a loop on top to attach a long lead line for training exercises.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 05:10:14 pm »
I have one, too, for Cowboy.  His first seizure was in the water and he almost drowned.  Not fun to have to deal with seizures AND water in the lungs.  He's pretty careful now, not to swim out very far, but he's in his life vest just the same! ;)