Author Topic: Foster homes needed in Dallas!  (Read 2596 times)

Offline fatfutures

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Foster homes needed in Dallas!
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:24:37 am »
Meet Lilo: 

Lilo is staying with us until the great folks at the Great Dane Rescue can find her a forever home.

What made me decide to foster? I've already got 2 male Danes. My house is only 1250 sq ft and we're happy but snug with 3 adults (well, 1 is a teenager, 2 Great danes, 1 cat and about 15 fish. Why would I want to bring another set of jumbo paws and a killer tail into this house? Do I really NEED more drool? YES!!!!

When I was looking for my boy, I found the GDRNT. I ended up adopting througha rescue in Austin. It was just a timing issue. But, I've kept going to the GDRNT website. Lots of local Dane owners on the discussion board there.

I found myself in tears one day, while readin posts on the GDRNT discussion board. They are full. Overloaded. Maxed out! They simply have no more room anywhere for shelter Danes. They have to turn away the magnificent beasts!

This is too awful! Both of my boys were shelter dogs before they were turned over to a rescue organization. If there had been no room for them... (shudder) I can't think about it! It's too terrible!

http://www.danerescue.net/   is the website. Maybe someone can help. I know they've had several more fosters come aboard in the past week or so. But, it's not enough. They cannot accept anymore shelter dogs, there still isn't enough room. Maybe you can help or, someone you know. If nothing else, think happy thoughts!

I thank you for listening. So do my boys and their foster sister, Lilo.

Michelle

Here they are, about ten minutes after I brought Lilo home:

Kiahpyr

Re: Foster homes needed in Dallas!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:26:46 am »
They look great! I'm so happy you can foster her. She's beautiful!

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:32:53 am »
I too am familar with their website, in fact they found Strider for me over a year ago thru an Il animal county control. Unfortunetly they require their foster homes to be local, and I am too far away in IL. to be of assistance.
I will keep fingers crossed that those that can help find the time to do so.
Stella

Offline fatfutures

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:28:45 am »
They are so full that they are looking into fosters out of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They haven't decided to do so, YET. But, it is something they are considering apparently.

I just feel so bad! I wish I coudl squeeze one more in. I suppose we could, if Craig and I gave up the use of the living room! The 3 we've got pretty much take up all of it!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 11:05:46 am »
ARGH, Dallas is SO far from Chicago!!!
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline fatfutures

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:35:51 am »
YEAH!!!! Lilo went to her forever home today! Really sweet couple that have a male Weim to be Lilo's new bother!

I will be picking up my new foster Monday. I'll have to get her from the vet's office. She got a wicked case of "happy tail" which irritated her so much that she started chewing it off. She's has to have it docked.

I can't begin to describe how good this feels! New pics will be posted soon!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 10:47:53 am »
Wow, Lilo got adopted so fast!!! That's awesome! I have been fostering Samson for 3 months now!!! :o
I think I live in an area where there are way too many dogs and not nearly enough good homes. The rescue group I foster for has started sending Danes up to Maine, where apparently they get adopted within a week. Amazing. I think Samson is going to end up going up there too... we will miss him! The longer they stay... the more attached we get! If they were short-term like yours was, it would be a lot easier!!!

It is surely a wonderful feeling to send a dog off to a fantastic forever home!  :D
Congratulation s to Lilo!!!
Can't wait to see the next foster!