Author Topic: 3 AM, front door wide open, dogs going nuts...thank god for dogs  (Read 5479 times)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
so BPO, my lil mini wangus and codina might have just scared off someone. 

its 3:45, the dogs start going crazy downstairs...a nd to clarify, angus has gotten MUCH better now to the point he rarely will bark at ANYONE.  so i get pissed, start to walk downstairs, and my FRONT DOOR IS WIDE OPEN.  YEP...THATS RIGHT...WIDE OPEN, AND THE DOGS ARE STANDING AT THE KITCHEN GATE BARKING LIKE CRAZY.  so if you've ever had a mini heart attack, you know the feeling that came over me.  i took off to the porch, no-one.  i looked in the living room and dining room...no one.  i tell the boys how FRIGGIN GREAT they are, then we go out for a pee, and kinda peace of mind, and no-one.  angus pees for 2 minutes lol, we come back in...and it seems to all be over. 

so..i dont know what exactly happened....bu t if it was someone trying to get into the house, they sure got a rude awakening lol.  i can't really fall asleep now, but i sure do feel safe knowing i have two big, and vocal, dogs.  thank god for dogs right?

nic
NICKI

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: 3 AM, front door wide open, dogs going nuts...thank god for dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 04:22:27 am »
Yay for Angus and Codina! I bet your would be 'visitor' needs clean underwear.

I'm paranoid myself and everything has got at least one lock on it. I check everything before I got to bed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 05:45:41 am by Senghe »

Offline jjcj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 05:06:31 am »
OMG  I would have flipped.  My hubby works nights and sometimes I imagine the weirdest things.  I have a english mastiff x and a hienz 57 we have no idea what puppy.  She is 5 months and 32 lbs. I try to blame all noices on them of course.  Duke ( mastiff ) is the strong silent type and never barks so when he does you get scared.

Glad you had your doggies there with you and if I were you Call the police anyways.  Could be a rash of breakins going on in your area.  Might give them some info on the guy.  ( like scared of dogs LOL).  Or they might find some **itty undies somewhere to get some evidence from He he he

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 05:18:08 am »
oh my goodnesS!!  i don't know how you're soo calm!  everytime i hear the smallest noise i wake up and try to listen!  sooo proud of angus and cody!! yah for their brave acts of courage!  :P i'm not too sure what fumble would do, he thinks everyone is his best friend, but i have a feeling.. if e knew that my sister and i were in danger.. sh*t would hit the fan!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:06:02 am »
Way to go! They should get a special treat today!

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 06:43:45 am »
Wow!  What good boys they are!  And I also can't believe that you are calm enough to type coherently!!!! 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 06:58:51 am »
Great job angus and cody! 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 07:05:08 am »
Way to go Cody & Wangus!...I know that having dogs I trust to protect us allows me to sleep better at night! :)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 08:20:43 am »
lol, when i typed that, it had just happened...and i was so proud of them i had to type it.  BUT.as soon as i was done, i got back into bed, and it took me about 3 hours to fall asleep.  lol..i'm tired.  and...i too always check the locks.  i locked the door yesterday evening....so i really don't know what went on....but thank god for womans best friends, they sure earned their food and treats for ever. 
NICKI

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 08:37:07 am »
Yay for Cody and Angus!!!  What good boys! :)  How scary to find the door open though. :-\

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 08:58:10 am »
Oh goodness!

I remember that feeling long ago. We lived in a pretty hard part of the city with two small children, and two very voicey beagles (the small 10" kind). Christmas eve and I was feeling sick with my third pregancy (almost full term) and my husband had to sing in the Cior at church (the only male voice..lol)

I fell asleep some time between 10 or 11, when I hear this voice ... "Teresa? Teresa are you okay?!"..it was the neighbor next door. No dogs barking at all!

Seems my front door was kicked in  and how I slept through that, God ONLY knows. The beagles chased off the guy trying to get inside! Two little bitty dogs scared the poop out of a guy willing to kick down a door.

Dogs at ANY size are a great burgler alarm!

side note: Yes the guy was easily busted. When the cops found this guy  running down an alley with two baying beagles hot on his heels, it wasn't hard to figure out.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:07:18 am »
OMG dude! I can't believe that!  :o Thank goodness for the Wangus and Codina because if they gave that person the same greeting they gave me the first time I met them, that person would of had a heart attack too.  ;) And how wierd is that after I just told your mom last night that I am so glad that you are with her again just for extra safety? Wierd...maybe the planets have Saturn in orbit (or something like that) and so those of us will black dogs get protected while those with non-black dogs feel it's ill effects. Hmm.....conspi racy...I think so!  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 10:01:18 am »
Thank God for Angus and Cody!
Although I live in a decent suburb of Chicago, I will never be without at least one dog. They are the greatest security anyone can have. My 18 month old doberman broke out of his crate and chased off at least one person who broke into our house. They threw chairs at him and he must have kept on coming because there was furniture everywhere and the front door was wide open, only the screen was closed. Later it was determined that there was a gang of "Gypsy Burglers" working the area. They would target an area, rob a number of houses during the day when no one was home and then move on to another area and start over.I guess my house was not a good choice.
Stella

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:58 am »
Dogs are the best. I'm glad you're safe. Give then extra treats for bravery.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 10:18:07 am »
Three cheers for Angus and Cody!! I would have been too freaked out to go back to sleep, too! I'm glad you are all okay.

Sadie's a good guard dog, especially when it comes to guys she doesn't know. Riley rarely barks at people outside, so when he does, it worries me. I figure it's got to be pretty scary for him to get his big ol' bottom off the couch and up to the window to make a stink at someone. LOL