Author Topic: Do your furbabies know when you're sick?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Do your furbabies know when you're sick?
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:59:14 am »
I was feeling a bit under the weather this weekend, still am actually. Nothing major, just a cold and it didn't prevent Sadie and I from enjoying the beautiful weather and taking a stroll. She seemed to behave much better than normal. She's still not really herself either -still seems very sore and slow - but she just seemed to stay by my feet all weekend. Last night, all 3 of my babies cuddled with me on the couch which is a RARE occasion. They usually fight over who gets my lap and one of them (usually a cat) stalks off totally PO'ed. Gus and Maggie have always seemed to know when I didn't feel good and my old dog Kerry had a sixth sense about it. He wouldn't leave my side if I had so much as a sniffle. But this is the first time I've seen it from Sadie. Just curious if others had noticed different behavior when you're feeling under the weather? I thought it was so cute.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Icerotti

Re: Do your furbabies know when you're sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:04:08 am »
Farley will cuddle with me all day if I don't feel well. Puck will come over and put his head in my lap...like he is saying its ok momma ;) 

When my mom had cancer my first female rotti Shaste would lay on her feet and not leave her side. She was always friendly with my mom but when she was sick she stuck right by her. I think my mom enjoyed her company plus she had a foot warmer for the whole day ;)

I believe they can sense when things aren't the same.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:32:40 am »
A few years ago I had some stomach surgery as soon as I got home from the hospital (it was outpatient surgery) I got in my bed and Stoli (my springer spaniel) lied down next to me and put her head very lightly right where the surgery had been - she stayed with me for the next few days until I was up and around - Oh I miss her!!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:12:49 pm »
I came home from work early one day with a back-ache.  Einstein (who NEVER gets on the bed or any furniture) came and laid down on the floor next to my side of the bed (which isn't very much room).  He's not the type to seek out attention, he's subtle.  He just laid there for a while until I fell asleep, I guess.  I knew he understood I didn't feel good and wanted to be nearby in case I needed "protection" from something.

I love this dog.
Sarah

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:24:56 pm »
My Mom always tells a story about my old miniature schnauzer , Pepper Joe . I had pneumonia when I was a kid and was very sick for months . She said she knew every time I was starting to vomit because Pepper Joe ( who was ALWAYS with me ) would come running out of my room , find my Mom and start whining until she came to my room . He was always very sensitive like that ! I miss him so  :'(
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 12:34:55 pm »
My Mom always tells a story about my old miniature schnauzer , Pepper Joe . I had pneumonia when I was a kid and was very sick for months . She said she knew every time I was starting to vomit because Pepper Joe ( who was ALWAYS with me ) would come running out of my room , find my Mom and start whining until she came to my room . He was always very sensitive like that ! I miss him so  :'(

I would have loved to have had a dog like that when my kids were little!  Would have saved a lot of clean-up time!

Pepper Joe sounds like an awesome dog.
Sarah

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 12:36:34 pm »
I believe dogs a sixth sense. Kiah knows I'm pregnant and now has become my great almighty protector. She's more leary of strangers now. Of course I'm not sure if it's that or if she's just maturing. I like to think it's due to the baby. :)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 12:38:51 pm »

I would have loved to have had a dog like that when my kids were little!  Would have saved a lot of clean-up time!

Pepper Joe sounds like an awesome dog.

He was the best  ;) I got another mini schnauzer two weeks ago and she's turning out to be the same way , I'm so happy !  ;D
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 01:05:32 pm »

My Kerry was that way. When I had a bad car accident years ago, my parents had to move his food in with me. He would run out and do his business and come straight back in and lay down. Kerry used to break up fights too. When my mom and I would have it out during my teenage years, he'd jump in the middle and jump up and down barking his head off. I miss him SO much. And maybe I imagined it, but I thought I saw the same concerned look in Sadie this weekend.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:06:49 pm »

My Kerry was that way. When I had a bad car accident years ago, my parents had to move his food in with me. He would run out and do his business and come straight back in and lay down. Kerry used to break up fights too. When my mom and I would have it out during my teenage years, he'd jump in the middle and jump up and down barking his head off. I miss him SO much. And maybe I imagined it, but I thought I saw the same concerned look in Sadie this weekend.

Awwww ... Makes you feel so special ,doesn't it ? :)
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 10:23:50 pm »
They sure do. My Baar would spend hours laying on my wifs feet or snuggled next to her warming and comforting her. Hewould hang his hear over my lap and lay on me when i was sick.
YEAH, they know.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 11:09:09 pm »
Yes, they do.  Since having Ladybug (our Miniature Schnauzer) I have had 6 surgeries, my daughter, and my husband both had dental surgery.  She took care of each one of us every time.  Just sticking to us like glue.  Being very gentle and quiet. 

We still have Ladybug, of course, and since adding Dazy to the family... I have MS.  Now they both stick to me and lay right beside me or Ladybug in my lap when I am having an onset.   They are also my stress-o-meters.  When I am overly stressed, they will come and just lay on or by my feet or lap trying to calm me as they know that stress is one of my biggest MS triggers.