Author Topic: Webster stays in trouble  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
Webster stays in trouble
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:53:43 am »
Webster my 8 month old newf just seems to stay in trouble.  But he is so funny.  All the months we've had him, he never bothered our fish pond other than a quick drink.  My dh spent a few hours doing some spring cleaning in there, cleaning filters, reviving plants etc, now Web thinks it is just fine to stand in the pond and pull out the grasses and chase the fish etc.  EVERYTIME we let him out, he is in the pond..... what a mess.  He is also just now starting to chew up things.... ie: a pair of prescription sunglasses, a tube of animax, coasters, candles and that is just today.  We are careful not to leave things on the floor, cause then if he eats them, we figure it was our fault.  But he is picking things off of table tops!  We made it thru potty training with little problems... THIS chewing/getting into everything is a bit frustrating.  I keep telling dh he will grow out of it...but I am beginning to wonder.  Oh, and have I mentioned the barking.  He barks at every noise, real or imagined.  He "talks" back when told no.  He barks inside to go out and outside to come in.  I think he just likes to hear himself.  All this.. and we still love him dearly, how can you not love a newf??
Karen

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Re: Webster stays in trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:13:50 am »
Karen-  Oh honey...bless your heart.  I know its frustrating (And my newf is only 13 weeks!  :D  ) but
I think your consistency and diligence will pay off.  Although I have never had a Newf before, I have had several other breeds and they all seem to go through this frustrating toddler/teen/nightmare type stage!

Right now I am battling the barking back too.  Not like when she does the innocent “woo wooo wooo” or growls to herself (Which is hilarious) but the “I am in trouble and am talking back” naughty no no stuff. Also the getting up on the table and counters.  We have really been working hard on that and I know I must feel strong that a break through will eventually happen.   ;)

any thouths from other long-time Newf owners?
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:43:01 am »
Puppy proofing also means removing things from tabletops!!  A puppy will teach you in a hurry what they can get into- amazing  Things around here go on top of the 6 foot bookshelf and out of sight

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:58:57 am »
Webster sounds just like Angus! Angus is now 11 months old and is quite the character. He is a barker, but only barks when he wants to play or get someone to chase him (which is always). He has chewed off the front handle on my BBQ, has started on the rail on my backs steps, took a picket off my fence and escaped to the outside world just yesterday and he enjoys transfering all the water in the toilet to the bathroom floor!! I have 3 kids so there is always something he is finding to eat / chew on that is laying around. I seeam to be taking gum from Angus all the time, from his mouth and his coat! This is just a small sampling of the Angus chronicles  :D . It is an adventure, and I would not trade it for anything. He makes me laugh everyday and life in our house is so much more complete with him.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:14:41 am »
Welcome to the teenage years!!! Kali's finally growing out of the destructive phase around 15 months but if it's in reach and interesting enough she'll go for it.  So just make sure everything of interest is up really high.  Also try restricting him to a few rooms unless he's supervised then newf proof those rooms to the extreme, that's what we did with Kali.  I feel bad for those fish I bet they never expected a bear invasion. :D
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:30:12 am »
BTW- Misery must love company because it just helps knowing you are not the only one going through it!  :)

This is like therapy!
 :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:50:54 am »
Haven't been through this with my Newf yet, but it sounds vaguely reminiscent of the adolescent phases my parents boys went through. Extra exercise helped a LOT for us during that time. If they are tired out, they can't eat your house right?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 03:58:59 pm »
Thanks everyone.... for some perverted reason, it does make me feel better to know that others go thru this also.   I don't remember it with my first newf... but I had him for 14 years and the last 12 of those were the "maybe a bit of mischief, but no real trouble" kind of years. And Hightower NEVER barked.  Webster LOVES to bark!!  But just like at Angus' house, we laugh a lot.  Webster is just full of spunk and personality and can look sooooooo innocent... and sometimes soooooo guilty. 
Karen