Author Topic: What do you do if you're attacked by a dog?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
What do you do if you're attacked by a dog?
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:12 pm »
I know what to do with a bear, but that's pretty unlikely-what about a dog attack?  I am worried because, as I mentioned in another post, we are moving and I have been warned that a neighbor has a really bad Pit Bull/ Dalmation cross.  The dog is built like a Pit and with the size of a Dal and has attacked several people and dogs.  Supposedly, Animal Control has told the family to keep the dog inside but it has escaped several times.  I know you're not supposed to run, but what is the alternative? People have told me to carry a stick but I don't know if I could hit a dog even if it was biting me?  Does anyone know what you're supposed to do?  Thanks.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do if you're attacked by a dog?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:13:53 pm »
We carry police issue pepper spray.  I would think that any pepper spray will do the trick though.  That way the pooch couldn't even get close enough to bite.  You can spray him a few feet before he gets to you.  Just make sure you are upwind or you will get it too!  :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 02:16:38 pm by Softhug »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:00:20 pm »
I have heard to stand still and hope for the best. I have also heard yelling no will sometimes work. Personally I do not believe that a dog who is locked on a attack will stop with either method, this is why I also carry pepper spray. I spray first ask questions later if I feel that myself, my children, or my dogs are in any danger.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:52:39 pm »
Well...Can you get a concealed carry permit?

I'm about half joking, but only half. The situation you're describing just makes me furious--pits and pit mixes can just be snuggly boo-bears if they're raised properly.  When some jerk like your soon to be neighbor ruins a pit's temperment, it's exactly like having a loaded gun sitting out in the middle of the street where anyone can just pick it up.

Personally, I've only known one pit that was dangerous--but he literally had to be killed and his jaws broken to get him off the horse he attacked without anyone else getting killed, so don't underestimate how dangerous an attack mode pit bull is.  Carry the pepper spray and a stout billy club BOTH, if you don't go for the gun...

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:56:40 pm »
Found this on the internet:

How to Avoid a Dog Attack

Ways to avoid getting bitten while walking or jogging.

Difficulty Level: Easy      Time Required: 1 minute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's How:

Keep a safe distance between yourself and dogs being walked on leash.
Ask owner's permission before approaching a dog, on leash or in yard.
Never approach a barking, snarling, sleeping, eating, or nursing dog.
Do not stare the dog in the eyes.
Turn sideways and slowly withdraw.
Put an object such as a tree, post, or bench between you and the dog.
Speak softly and gently to calm the dog, "Good dog, it's OK, go home."
Stand still or maintain a constant slow pace out of the dog's territory.
If local law allows, use pepper spray when charged by the dog.
If charged, get something between you and the dog's mouth - umbrella, pack, jacket, stick
If attacked, curl up in a ball and protect your face, neck, and head.
Report unleashed aggressive dogs to the local police.

Tips:

You can't outrun the dog, not even an Olympic sprinter could.
Be aware of dogs a block or more ahead, change your route or turn around to avoid unleashed dogs.
Know the weapons laws in the community you are walking in and obey them.
Sarah

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 04:04:33 pm »
Probably a hard, well placed kick or two would work in some cases as well.  I hate hurting animals but if a mean dog is locked in on you, all bets are off.  I was walking Drake yesterday in Napa and there was a huge German Shepard in the bed of a truck that was just dying to kill both of us.  Absolutely freaking out and foaming at the mouth.  It was tied up with a rope and you could just see the disaster waiting to happen.  It's owner, who was inside a bar across the street drinking beer (there's a SHOCKER!), stuck his head out the window and yelled "SHUT UP!".  That did nothing but by that time I was far enough away.  But I kept thinking about what I would of had to do had that rope around the dog's neck broke.  ???
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:46:29 pm »
Well...Can you get a concealed carry permit?

I wasn't going to mention this but since you brought it up ;)....my husband has a CCW and I must say I feel much safer walking by certain houses in my neighborhood now.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:42:01 pm »

My dad was attacked by my Uncle's dog a few years ago and it was really bad. The dog lunged and latched onto his face and wouldn't let go. My brother had to kick her to get her to let go. I don't know if that's the right thing to do but in the panic of the situation that's what happened and she did let go. You never want to hurt a dog or anything, but when you're panicked like that and it's them or you, you do whatever works, you know?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:57:45 pm »
When my oldest son was 1 years old he was attacked by my brother in law's rottie , hubby and I were standing right there when it happened . My husband kicked the shi* out of that dog before he got off my little boy , but it worked . I love dogs to death , but you gotta keep your priorities straight , ya know ? :-\
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:17 pm »
I'd do whatever I needed to to protect any of my family furry or skin, myself included...Tha t's what I call a dog eat dog world! ;)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 11:51:33 pm »
i don't carry any pepper spray, but i have MANY agressive dogs in my neighborhood (NONE pits or pit mixes  :)) i just say "GO HOME!" or "get AWAY!" and i pick up a rock and pretend to throw it (i dont have the heart to actually do it) if that doesn't work and they are coming strait at me like they are going to attack what you must do is SCREAM at the top of your lungs, and fall to the ground and cover your head. it sounds stupid, but most of the time, the scream catches the dog off gaurd and gets the attention of the neighbors. then you can REALLY freak out the dog by falling (like you fainted) and you can protect your self by covering your head.
hope it helps! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 05:52:52 am »
I think confidence and very slow movements are the most important thing even if you're scared to death.

Umbrellas are good - not to hit the dog with but if you point it at the dog and open it quickly, it scares the bejesus out of most dogs. It works on the same principle as a frilled lizard or a cat puffing itself up - you suddenly look an awful lot bigger and scarier. Also if it doesn't make the dog back off, at least it's going to bite the umbrella rather than your legs.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 07:45:43 am »
I like the umbrella idea especially the ones that are small and you just push a button.  However, I am going to get pepper spray there is a dog in my neighborhood that has attacked a neighbors dog (badly) and charged at Harley and I last week he has invisible fencing but he comes at us so fast thru the yard I have no confidence that he won't go thru the fencing.  the family has told me the dog hates other dogs and if we see them out walking don't look over just keep walking.  We live in a neighborhood that is a big circle and about a mile around so I prefer not to change my path plus one of Harleys good doggie friends lives across the street from the mean dog and harley likes to play with Spike.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 08:38:02 am »
Hi,

Here is a recipie for a home made cayenne pepper spray. It is easy and cheap to make and you can control the strength of the liquid. Take Cayenne pepper as much as you want at least two tablespoons full and soak that in alcohol (rubbing is best, but any alcohol is fine) overnight at least 1 cup. Strain that liquid into a spray bottle, (make sure it is a good stream sprayer , not just a mist)the straight liquid is the strongest, you can add water to dilute the concentration.

Oh and if you add a lot of water this is a great spray for your garden to deter pests from you vegtables and flowers and will not harm us Humans like pesticides can.

Aim for the dogs face, eyes or mouth, they WILL STOP, and it does no lasting damage except the initial uncomfortable burn. Nothing is more important then protecting you and yours!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 09:01:02 am »
Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I am going to try the Cayenne Pepper recipe in the squirt bottle and will suggest this to the woman who was attacked too.  I can't beleive that people keep dogs like this!  I can just see myself out for a walk, armed with a spray bottle, an umbrella, and a billy club, scaring the h*** out of dogs and small children alike! :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat