Author Topic: Please sign to help protect our gentle giants!!! Cross posted from Newf - L  (Read 27260 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Here is Kahn's (a Newfoundland) sad story:

Kahn was the beloved companion of the Bradford family of Wetumpka, Alabama. On Feb. 20th, 2004, Kahn was abducted from the Bradford home by criminals who intended to use him as a "training" dog for fighting pit bulls. Kahn was placed in a pen and attacked, tortured and mutilated by multiple pit bulls trained to attack and kill on command by their human owners. After a long, heroic struggle to survive against overwhelming odds, Kahn was shot to death and left on the side of the road, his usefulness to these criminals at an end. Only the perpertrators of these heinous acts know to what extent Kahn suffered before they cruelly murdered him. The Bradford family found their beloved gentle giant and family companion laying dead in the gutter, by the side of the road. Kahn was tossed aside like garbage by these sociopathic criminals who mutilated, tortured and murdered him.

Can you imagine the incredible horror and overwhelming grief you would experience if you found somone you loved gone, as a result of a situation such as this? How would you feel? What would you feel? What would you feel like doing? Rage? Anger? Incredible sadness? Incomprehensio n? What would you tell your son or daughter had happened to their friend and companion? Do you think those feelings would diminish when the criminals who did this received only a $400 dollar fine? Well, sadly, that's what happened. Adding incredible insult to heinous injury for the Bradford family. The current laws of the State of Alabama classify this type of activity as a Class 'B' Misdeameanor. Any sane, law-biding citizen of our Great Nation can recognize that the criminals who carried out these heinous actions did so in a pre-meditated, cruel and wanton manner with complete disregard for anything other than fulfilling their own perverted, sociopathic desires. In order to conduct this activity, these criminals had to:

#1.) Find a suitable dog in a pre-meditated search.

#2.) Plan to abduct and obtain the identified dog

#3.) Trespass on Private Property to abduct the animal.

#4.) Break and Enter into a secure area where the animal was restrained.

#5.) Commit theft and larceny to remove the property of the Bradfords from their private property.

#6.) Posses Pit Bull dogs previously trained to attack and kill.

#7.) Posses a previously prepared "pen" or area to place Kahn to allow the planned and pre-mediatated attack, torture, mutilation and murder of Kahn to take place.

#8.) Utilize a deadly weapon and discharge said weapon in such a manner as to cause the death of Kahn.

#9.) Dispose of Kahn's remains in a pre-meditated manner so as to effectuate a hinderance to Legal Authorities in determining the perpatrators identity and location.

All of these pre-meditated criminal activities cleary add up to what can only be charecterized as a pre-meditated criminal conspiracy and enterprise to conduct these unlawful activities. What Prosecuter, Judge and Law Enforcement Authorities would be willing co-conspirators in prosecuting this matter in a way that would culminate in a $400.00 fine? Many people in a rural community would be pre-disposed to dismissing any seriousness in prosecution with a statement such as "It's only a dog". However, I direct your attention to the link in the sidebar titled "From Animal Cruelty to Serial Murder: Applying the Graduation Hypothesis". Criminals who engage in these types of activities are very often predisposed to the gradual escalation in the violent tendencies and behaiviors these activities reinforce. Our Legal systems responsibility to our society demands significant punishments for these behaiviors. Lack of punishment will only reinforce in these criminals minds the tacit acc!
eptance by society at large of these sociopathic and cruel behaviors.

Mr. Bradford served his country proudly for over 20 years as a member of the elite United States Navy SEALS. Is this justice in the country which he served proudly for the majority of his adult life? Are these the ideals for which Mr. Bradford and countless others have risked and sacrificed their lives for since the birth of our nation? The antiquated laws of Alabama currently reflect a turn of the century, agricultural mindset and jurisprudence. Times have changed. Companion animals are not livestock like cattle, pigs, chicken and sheep. The incredible trauma inflicted on a family is not adequately served or protected by these antiquated laws.

This website is our first step in working to achieve JUSTICE FOR KAHN! and all our companion animals. Together, compassionate, caring people can work together and take ACTION to petition elected officials to make CHANGES TO THESE LAWS NOW! We look forward to working to achieve that goal and look forward to YOU, our compassionate friends in helping us achieve that goal.

PLEASE sign Kahn's petition, maybe his death will help the next animal from suffering his cruel fate
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/464850126?ltl=1143736319

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Been doing a little digging, since this supposedly happened in the city I am from.

I think this is him: what a piece of work: http://www.dps.state.al.us/public/abi/system/so/details.asp?id=3709
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
I signed my name...justice is really needed here.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
I could really learn to hate....HATE!!  people like this!!  What poor, filthy excuse for a waste of human flesh!!! AGGHH!  I've copied and sent this to all my dog buds all over our area!  Poor Newf....Poor Pits!  That's just why all this D*mn legislation is going in to effect...just because of jerks like him!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Oh, I wish the pits could chew on him for awhile. >:(

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
http://justiceforkahn.bravehost.com/ Click Photos at the top...

Ok, Now I'm Mad! I recognize some of the places in the pictures, looks like a nice family and a cute pup.  I can not find the court docket online though. Anyone ??
He died in 2004, and this says the jerks that did this recieved punishment as a class b misdememeanor, max 6/mos in jail and $400 fine. In 2001 a new law after a puppy burning went in effect in Alabama that made it possible for dog/cat cruelty to be punishable as a class c felony.. Max 10 years in jail / $5000 in fines.  Not nearly enough, but the jerk should have served time behind bars.  I can't understand why this was not treated as commited in first degree.

I'm going to find out what the heck happened with this.

Section 13A-11-241
Cruelty in first and second degrees.
(a) A person commits the crime of cruelty to a dog or cat in the first degree if he or she intentionally tortures ( Serious physical injury or Death)  any dog or cat or skins a domestic dog or cat or offers for sale or exchange or offers to buy or exchange the fur, hide, or pelt of a domestic dog or cat. Cruelty to a dog or cat in the first degree is a Class C felony. A conviction for a felony pursuant to this section shall not be considered a felony for purposes of the Habitual Felony Offender Act, Section 13A-5-9 to 13A-5-10.1, inclusive.

(b) A person commits the crime of cruelty to a dog or cat in the second degree if he or she, in a cruel manner, overloads, overdrives, deprives of necessary sustenance or shelter, unnecessarily or cruelly beats, injuries, mutilates, or causes the same to be done. Cruelty to a dog or cat in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 08:00:54 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
That was heartbreaking. I am tears.  :'( :'( :'(

You definately got my signature.

Stacie

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Well i have to say there is never enough attention such as media etc because people think oh it's just an animal why is everyone making a big deal about it? It's also changes from state to state. Cruelty to Animals should never be pushed under the rug or kept quite criminals should be punished to the full extent.If not that only allows others to do the same crime and get away with it.Everyone needs to sign this petition in order change the laws it needs to be much stonger for these crimes. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GR8DAME

Too bad we are all nice law abiding citizens. Bad things can happen to people that do things like that and manage to circumvent true justice, legally or not.
Stella

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
I, and my sweet Onyx, are signature 2703, and I truly hope that they succeed in incresing the sentacing structure for this henious crime.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
I will definitely sign this petition, that story saddens and sickens me.  No offense to my Southern BPO brothers and sisters, but this IS Alabama we're talking about.  There are quite a few messed up laws there that need to be Updated to current standards and attitudes towards animals.  Same goes for many California laws.  Right now the California Legislature is considering a petition to allow the State to start killing Sea Lions.  Why?  Well, hold onto your hat folks, apparently the Sea Lions are eating lots of..... SALMON!!!  Yep the Salmon population has been reduced due to damming, overfishing and drought conditions, which are all entirely caused by humans.  But the Sea Lions are doing what comes naturally to them and now they are going to be killed for that?  What a messed up world we live in....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:55:26 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
What a messed up world we live in....

I have to agree!!  Where ever did we get the arrogance that all other species are to bow down before us?  They are all here for our own personal use?  We owe them nothing??  I'd rather see the sea lions running Sacramento that the idiots (one and all!!!) that are there now... >:(

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
No offense to my Southern BPO brothers and sisters, but this IS Alabama we're talking about. 

That's the thing though, Alabama has some of the toughest Animal cruelty laws in the nation.  Enacted in 2001, Cruelty can be treated as a class C felony with up to 10 years in prison. But for some reason this case didn't make that.. I have to wonder what happened in the trial.

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/13A-11-241.htm

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
I don't know if anybody has seen this yet, but this is Kahn.  It's good to put a face to victims, it makes them real and not just an object for pity. What a beautiful Newf he was, his family obviously loved him very much....  :'(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:19:13 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.