Author Topic: I hope this isn't too personal...  (Read 5570 times)

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I hope this isn't too personal...
« on: April 09, 2006, 07:57:54 am »
...but how much did you pay for your Newf.

We are going through a reputable breeder and we were expecting to pay $800-$1,200 dollars for a companion dog, but when I finally asked the price they said $1,800. I know testing and everything costs a lot of money, but I thought it was kinda steep for a companion dog. Just wanted to get an idea of what everyone else paid.

Of course we went to visit and I am already attached to the little booger, but my husband is freaking about the price.

I will attach his 4 week photos.

Thanks,
Stacie

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:59:24 am by swells »

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this isn't too personal...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:00:06 am »
Here is his other picture.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 08:06:52 am »
I don't mind you asking and I believe we paid $1200 for Kali from a not so reputable breeder(she was supposeldy the pick of the litter whom she chose not to keep but she has such conformation issues in her front end it's ridiculous).  If the breeder is good tell your hubby it's better to pay a little more now than thousands down the road for the dysplasias and other genetic problems. I don't think you'll find anything less than 1200 maybe even 1500 that would be a good breeder.  Good luck and if you get him post lots of pics.

Also if you are going to pay that much insist on seeing the papers of the parents so you can check the certifications and ask for references so you can talk with people who have her pups and see if they've had any issues.  Just be very sure it is a good breeder....als o have you checked them out with a newfy club?  They may be able to tell you how good she is.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:40:43 am »
What Chaos Said! Exactly! I can tell you from our experience, 600 is nothing compared to the costs of even one surgery to correct ortho problems later on. You'll fall so in love with this puppy, you want it to be as healthy as possible.  We won't make the same mistake twice.

Also, don't believe everything you hear, sorry, but we had one breeder tell us they were members of the national breed club, their dogs were champions, and that they were ofa certified. 
A little research revealed that none of that was true.

Offa maintains a database of Hip/Elbow clearances you can check online: http://www.offa.org/

http://www.sweetbay.com/bookofa.htm

NCA Breeders List: http://www.newfdogclub.org/BreederList/2005-6Breeders.htm

And according to most of what I have heard, that is about right for a Newf puppy when the parents have their clearances, etc.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:44:14 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 09:02:34 am »
Oh my he is just adorable! I love his white feet. ;D

We are looking for a Newf pup also and most of the registered breeders I've contacted are about $1200-$1500.. some a bit more, although that's Canadian funds too.

My hubby freaked out a little also. But as was already mentioned I'd rather pay even $2000 and get a quality bred pup that's less likely to develop problems than buy a poorly bred pup for less and end up spending thousands in surgeries later.

I also always check the parents pedigree's and see all the health clearance papers. If I can't find the OFA's online and they won't produce the papers, yet they say they are certified I'm outta there. LOL

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:56:36 am »
Someone posted this yesterday on a newf mailing list I am on, so I had it handy:

Recognized Newfoundland colors are black, brown, gray, and white and black.

Solid Colors - Blacks, Browns, and Grays may appear as solid colors or solid
colors with white at any, some, or all, of the following locations:  chin,
chest, toes and tip of tail.  Any amount of white found at these locations is
typical and is not penalized.  Also typical are a tinge of bronze on a black or
gray coat and lighter furnishing on a brown or gray coat.

Landseer - White base coat with black markings.  Typically, the head is solid
black, or black with site on the muzzle, with or without a blaze.  There is a
separate black saddle and black on the rump extending onto a white tail.

Markings, on either Solid Colors or Landseers, might deviate considerably
from those described and should be penalized only to the extent of the deviation.
Clear white or white with minimal ticking is preferred.

Beauty of markings should be considered only when comparing dogs of otherwise
comparable quality and never at the expense of type, structure and soundness.

Disqualificati ons - Any colors or combinations of colors not specifically
described are disqualified.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 10:18:52 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I checked out the websites and the hips, heart, elbows and cystinuria are all good or excellent as the breeder has said on both the mom and the dad.

He does have a very small white patch on his back/top of shoulder. What do you guys think of how he looks. I, of course, think he is absolutely adorable, but would like the input of more informed people of this breed.

Thanks again.

Stacie

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:56:48 am »
I'm not an expert, but I think he's adorable!  What a cute little guy.  I really think his markings are cute. 

You might check with others on this, but Bella and Sasha each have a white mark on the chest and on their feet.  As Sasha grew, the white became much less noticeable...l ike the white fur didn't grow but the black did.

He's so cute! :)

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 02:50:48 pm »
I am sooooo excited.  :D :D :D
My hubby called the breeder and he agreed to take the price down to $1,500 and he is also is letting us make it in 3 payments so we don't have to come up with it all at once.  :D :D :D
So, it look like we get to pick up our new puppy next weekend.

Stacie

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 05:56:59 pm »
That is so awesome!  Congratulation s on your beautiful new baby!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 06:35:15 pm »
Congrats!!! I expect pics as soon as you get him.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 09:06:57 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I checked out the websites and the hips, heart, elbows and cystinuria are all good or excellent as the breeder has said on both the mom and the dad.

He does have a very small white patch on his back/top of shoulder. What do you guys think of how he looks. I, of course, think he is absolutely adorable, but would like the input of more informed people of this breed.

Thanks again.

Stacie

He looks like an Irish Spotted Newf which is what my Sadie is supposed to be but she doesn't have typical markings for an Irish Spotted. She has the white feet and chest/belly but she doesn't have the white tip in the tail. At one point, I think I remember someone telling me that Irish Spotted Newfs were considered flawed, but I don't believe that's the case anymore.

My father got Sadie for me for Christmas. He paid $1550 for her but her some of her siblings were more. The breeder knocked the price down because she doesn't have typical markings and we had agreed to spay her. We fell in love with her from the second we saw her, she's so different, but truthfully a few months later it makes me wonder because she offered to take the price down, we didn't ask and my father didn't flinch at the original price which was $1650.  :-\ When we were looking for puppies, we didn't find anything under $1500 in this area so that sounds about right to me.

Congrats on your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures of him.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 01:20:36 am »
 He is awesome! For pet quality you have the cream of the crop! You are so lucky! I wanted a Lanseer, well Copa has a white patch on his chest and at the tip of his tail. Congrats!!!!
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline charlieinnj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 05:21:48 am »
How old will he be next weekend when you pick him up?

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 05:52:30 am »
He turns 8 weeks this Wednesday.

Stacie