Author Topic: A milestone  (Read 4367 times)

GR8DAME

A milestone
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:36:25 pm »
  :-\But not one I was looking forward to. I have been expecting it since Merlin bumbled his way into our hearts. The dreaded "happy tail".
We came home from Casey's hockey game to find an inch long split in the very bottom of Mer's tail, as he cheerfully flung blood all over the kitchen and hall's white walls.
Two of us held collar and tail while Dale cleaned it, applied ointment, and dressed it.
The only good thing is that Mer apparently couldn't care less that there is a bandage on the very end of his appendage. Hopefully Raven and Strider will ignore it as well.
Wish us luck, I understand that this is a B#$%h to heal.
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: A milestone
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:45:29 pm »
Good luck.   :-\

I am dreading the day that happens to Gunther.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already as our hallways are so narrow.

A friend of mine's dane has to have her tail wrapped almost all the time.  Her tail looks like a big club.  Unfortunately, once broke open, it's just that much easier to reinjure again.  Their other dane had to have his tail amputated due to it not healing and getting an infection.

Hope I didn't scare you, that was not my intention.  :-[  Good luck with the tail healing, Merlin.   :-\

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:56:10 pm »
Yikes  ::)

Get well soon Merlin
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:12:29 pm »
I heard that happens...Ouch!...That is the only reason I am undecided on tail docking :-\...Good luck getting him all healed up! :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:00:42 am »
Poor Merlin! Hope you feel better soon.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:05:16 am »
Poor Mer! 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 05:06:34 am »
Owie!!! :(
I hope he heals up real good. :-*
Apparently Leeloo has been through it, long ago... she has a huge scar near the end of her tail that is a few inches long. I bet it was a big pain to deal with, her tail is a mighty whirlwind of force! :D

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 06:25:32 am »
Poor boy! I don't really know what 'happy tail' is but it doesn't sound like any fun  :-\ Feel better Merlin!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:24 am »
Star came to us with happy tail. For a few weeks we followed her around wiping blood from the white walls/doorjambs/etc. It did heal up (it looks like a callus now). Still, everytime I hear that tail knocking against things, I look expecting to see blood! So far, it's stayed healed!

Here's hoping Merlin heals quickly!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 01:36:19 am »
Thanks everyone, for the support. I am sorry that I haven't posted to you all before now, however we are butt deep in the renovation (gutting) of two rooms and a hallway at the house, and the main puter is down at home.
Update for you, the tail is healing, slowly. He hasn't broken it open again and is apparently unaffected by the bandage, he hasn't touched it. Strider made one attenpt to touch it, and Mer reacted so quickly- and violently- that Strider hid in his cage sulking for an hour and hasn't tried again. Wish I could get the same reaction, LOL.
Tracey, I know exactly what you mean about the reaction to the thumping sound of a tail on the wall.It is almost Pavlovian to grab the offending tail and check it!
Will check back when I can. :-* :-* :-*
Stella

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 01:54:40 am »
Oh poor baby - that really stinks that you can get an injury just from being happy and excited. :-[

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 01:22:59 am »
Glad to hear that it is healing well , I really hope it stays healed.