Author Topic: Advice on introduction of a toy dog as second dog to resident BIG dog  (Read 1614 times)

Offline wisconsheepgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Good evening

This is my first post here and if I'm posting in the incorrect forum, I apologize.

I am needing advice. But first, being that I'm a girl I must share details  :D

I adopted a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver (which is not one of the dog breeds represented... ..) from a shelter a few months ago. Her name is Ginger, she is 8 years old, spayed. Sparing you all the horrid details, suffice it to say that she was abused and terribly neglected. She was in an outside kennel her entire life, with little human contact; and if anyone may be familiar with CBR that's a big no no. She is very skittish, afraid of her shadow, and having difficulty with my husband due to her associating a bad noise with him so therefore he's a bad man....*sigh*. Per the obedience trainer and behaviorist both have suggested a companion dog to help her a) with her self esteem issues b) have a bud to play with c)and this will get her mind off of any noise (all noises freak her out)so she's not so stressed out. This is a difficult row to hoe but we understood the issues that Ginger had prior to adopting her so we're committed to her 110%

In search of a second dog, I found one that I loved, that has seperate issues from Ginger but way more workable, easier than Gingers'. The problem if that is the correct term; is that "Snookums" is a Yorkshire Terrier, all 9 lbs of her. Now Ginger is about 74#.

Alot of the websites that I have looked up have talked of introductions of second dogs as if the 'small' one was a puppy. Both are girl dogs, both adults "Snookums' is 4 and in a rescue program. By the way, the tiny dog LOVES big dogs and HATES small dogs and cats. Ginger has been around small dogs but only in a obedience training setting and not as a 'bud' or in our home.

My question to all of you out there is it a feasible thing, introducing a tiny dog to a large dog? Would this work, is it workable? What suggestions do you have? If you have had similiar experience please share.

Thank you
Michelle

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on introduction of a toy dog as second dog to resident BIG dog
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:17:39 pm »
I think it can be done, but with an older dog like Ginger, take it in baby steps.

I have a mid sized dog Keiko (60 lbs) and a giant breed dog Gunther (120 currently and still growing).  We will be picking up two rat terriers (currenly around 10 lbs) next month.  We did a test run in Feb/March to see how it would work. 

I knew Keiko would be fine as she gets along with everyone.  I figured once Gunther got used to them he would be fine too b/c I know he loves little dogs.  It took him all of 1 wk before he got used to them and started playing wtih them.

Each dog will be different.  Since you don't really know how Ginger would react, I would suggest doing a trial run with Snookums.  Introduce them on neutral ground and see how they respond.  If they smell each other and walk away, that is a good sign.

Since Ginger is the older of the two, be sure to give her an area where she can get away from Snookums if it becomes too much for her (this is if Snookums is a bit too playful or in her face too much)

Don't force them together and let them take it at their own pace.  Just remember that it can take anywhere from 2 wks to a few months for dogs to feel comfortable with one another.  but it can be done.  Good luck and welcome to BPO!

Blair

Re: Advice on introduction of a toy dog as second dog to resident BIG dog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 12:26:30 pm »
First off welcome to BPO

I have a Rottie, Great Dane, and a Chihuahua puppy. Now my Rottie and Dane grew up with a Chihuahua [sadly he passed away in Feb]. When I first got the new Chi puppy I kept him away from the big dogs for the first few weeks. Each day I would hold the puppy so the big dogs could smell and get use to the puppy. Then I slowly started letting the chi on the floor with them for a few minutes and each day a few minutes longer. And before I knew it,  this is what I got  :)