Author Topic: need ideas on a scar of mine (pics of it included)  (Read 2843 times)

angelsmama

need ideas on a scar of mine (pics of it included)
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:44:40 pm »
i had surgery feb 15th of 2005 on my shoulder,  and i've used vitamin e & cocoa butter on it. it's still not improving :-\ anyone have any ideas on what i could put on it?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: need ideas on a scar of mine (pics of it included)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:28:27 pm »
Wow. That's a big scar. I's keep up with the vitamin E for sure. That's what is always recommended for tattoos to heal and get rid of scarring, it will probably take a good long time. Just keep it up. :)
I hope it heals up realy good for ya. :-*

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:33:10 pm »
What about that " Mederma" or however it's spelled ,  for scars ? My little boy split his forehead open a year ago and I used the childrens kind on him and though his scar was much smaller you can hardly see it now . Hope that helps ?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:57:48 am »
I know they sell this silicone strip that goes over the scar.You apply it nightly and its supposed to help.It says it even helps old scars.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:35 am »
I have scarred myself up REEEAL GOOD during the 32 years I have been alive so far, mostly on my face and head.  Fell out of trees, Mountain Bike bails, walked into door corners, bent over into counter edges, you name it. Although, none of them are as big as yours, I have had a lot of luck reducing the scars with vitamin E and also Salicylic Acid seemed to help too.  I had a friend who was in a mountaineering accident and basically smashed and ripped her face up.  She had massive scarring and used an ointment that she shared with me.  Sorry, I can't remember what it was called! :P  I will say though, unless you get plastic surgury, you will always have a mark there.  Ask your doctor about what your options are and here are a couple of links worth checking out.  Hope this helps.  On a side note, I have had people tell me that scars are sexy and tell a story about the person who wears them. You can look at it that way, I think there's validity in that point of view.

http://www.in-touchconsultants.com/scar-tissue-reduction-chiropractic-treatment.htm

http://www.abateit.com/scar-treatment/removingscartissue/

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product/facelift/scarhealing/index.vm;jsessionid=2F0966B48A0DED73B0B1DE07368DF65B?procid=7&catid=78
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:26:45 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:37:36 am »
What about that " Mederma" or however it's spelled ,  for scars ? My little boy split his forehead open a year ago and I used the childrens kind on him and though his scar was much smaller you can hardly see it now . Hope that helps ?

That stuff works great. My dad was attacked by my Uncle's Rotti a couple years ago and would up with 70-something stitches in his face. He put that stuff on every day and you can barely see it now. If you didn't know it had happened, you'd never notice.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 07:02:16 pm »
I would use either vitamin e or mederma. Other than that, time is really the only thing that's going to make a big difference. When I was in high school I had an accident that left such a bad scar that the scar was acually bright purple for a few years  - that was like 8 years ago but now you can't really see it unless you are looking for it.
RIP former BPO

angelsmama

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:04:54 pm »
last summer when i was in the pool a while my scar would get purple looking... i just dont like it being there sooooo big.. it's wider at one point than the rest cause she had to go over further than she thought  to take a piece of bone to put into my shoulder where a spot was dug out :-\ i got copies of the records upstairs from what they did..

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:34:13 am »
i have no tips for scar treatment, but that last post made me say "Eeewww!!!" sorry...

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007