Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Does anyone know anything about
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:09:30 am »
the Borzoi breed other than what's on this site?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/borzoi.htm

It seems everywhere I go it's all the same info which isn't nearly enough to decide for or against a breed.  Hubby doesn't really want another Dobie so I'm trying to find something else to fit our family.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Does anyone know anything about
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:17:34 am »
I knew someone that had one a loong time back.. I just remember they have a high prey drive, hard to keep in a fence, and aloof acting (cat-like)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:55 am »
Oh, this is one of my dream-breeds!!!

They are just lovely companions. Yes, they do have a high prey drive. They get along just fine with other dogs though. They bond very closely with their "pack"/family. Very intelligent, very quiet. Somewhat aloof with strangers.

I'd say size-wise.....about Irish Wolfhound-size. (Ok, so not an exact measurement there.) All the one's I've met are just gorgeous. Not too terribly tough to groom.

edited to add: Here's the link you can check out. Might be helpful. www *dot* borzoiclubofam erica *dot* org (it won't let me attach the link here...how odd)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 09:08:05 am by Leah-n-boy-os »
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:02:00 am »
I love the looks of them too as well as they are supposedly very easy as far as grooming for a long haired dog.  I want something as far from the clingy, annoying, hyperactive doberman as we can get.

Oh yeah, and it has to get along and play with our Holly.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 09:04:59 am by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:06:18 am »
Borzoi are such a beautiful breed. I met a couple last summer at a dog function.   Unfortunately, the owners didn't really want to stop and chat about them.  How odd.   ::)

I also suggest looking at their breed club(s) to see what you can find out.  I do know that a borzoi holds the record for how high a dog can jump. Don't remember what it was, but it was somewhere around 7-8 ft. high.