Author Topic: not again!!!  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
not again!!!
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:47:43 pm »
fumble's got another yeast/ear infection!  good heavens!!!  so i've gotta call the vet and hopefully get in this afternoon, with him.  i feel so bad for him! i can't imagine how frustrating it is for his ears to be so sensitive! 

and then on top of it! i found another hygroma on his other elbow! so now i'm pretty sure i have to buy the adjustable dogleggs.  i had bought some dri-dek for his crate (kennel flooring) but it doens't seem to be helping!! argh!

oh and i was going to ask? does anyone have any good ideas for pet steps?  maybe a a DIY thing?? i'm a gal on a budget here, as seen from above!   ;)  thanks!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: not again!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:52:09 am »
Do you mean petsteps for your car?  Tim could probably help you and would probably make it for you cause he loves Fumble.  Don't worry too much about the hygromas they don't hurt at all, They just look like they do.  Poor Fumbs his ears are always bugging him...maybe you should start holding them up with a scrunchie so they can air out more.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:56:52 am »
Have you tried: 1/3 organic apple cider vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 water, mix together, swab out the ear with a cotton pad and pour some down the canal.  Massage the ear as long as he'll let you then let him shake it out.  Do this daily until the infection clears up and then weekly for maintenance.

This has always successfuly cleared up yeast infections in my dane's ears.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:50:32 am »
Sorry Fumble.. I've been wondering about this myself, as Bava has an ear that has a funny smell to it.   Anyways, I was wondering if thinning out the hair under the ear would help , allow it to breath better and dry out.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:26:09 am »
Hi,

What is Fumble eating? Food alergies can be part of the ear problem maybe try boiling a whole buch of rice and add some boiled chicken (make the chicken first then boil the rice in the stock) see if he goes a while with out ear problems, then slowly add an ingrdient or 2, or try his kibble agian and see if the ear problems come back. Newfies have sensitive tummy's so the ears may be where he manifests his symptoms.

I have a ramp from www.dogramp.co m very sturdy and very reasonably priced. Poor fumble I hope you get the ear thing fixed itchy ears are no fun!!

Rich
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 02:27:33 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:29:28 am »
well.. the vet was full today, so my appt is tomorrow.  but i'm definately going to try the vinegar mixture, my breeder suggested the same thing.  and i apparently fumble's mom had a string of ear infections when she was a puppy too, so maybe thats it. 
the last time he had an infection i did the rice/hamburger thing, but i'll ask the vet tomorrow.. thanks everyone!  i guess i just had to vent this morning..
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 02:08:43 pm »
Are you looking to get stairs for the bed or something? Dan and I were going to make some DIY ones for Zoey before her hips started getting worse. If that's the kind you want let me know and I will let you know what we had planned on doing
RIP former BPO

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:53:06 pm »
Badger had ear infections at least once a month (yeast) his WHOLE LIFE.  He was on medicine all the time and it was costing us a FORTURNE. 
A few weeks ago we started him on raw food and he had an ear infection when we started the new diet....it went away.  He hasn't had another infection.  The vet was stunned because he also had a skin allergy around his neck and that went away as well. 
I wonder if poor Fumble has an allergy.  We are feeding Badger raw food only now and while it is spendy, it's cheaper than all those vet visits and meds. 
I hope this helps...
Ronda

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:10:06 am »
well... update!  i talked to my breeders this weekend, and they agreed, it's probably from the food.  i guess his mother has had them all her life as well, and they just switched her to a sensitive stomach formula, which is what we did this weekend! and apparently, this is interesting to know.. someone who had a newfie for 11 years (we can all be so luckY) said that she found out it was the chicken in the food products.. she cut all the chicken, so that is what we plan on doing.  his new food is salmon based, and we got rid of the puppy treats that are chicken based (idiot i am! just bought the giant box! and now down the drain).. but got all lamb and rice and fish based ones!  hopefully this helps fumble! and maybe some of you too!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:40:51 am »
Hi,

Well I was ok on the allergy part but the CHICKEN and rice ooops!! Gald you are getting somewhere on the ear thing.

Ok enough of that, when are we getting the New Englanders together again!!! It is time for New England 2.

Sadie and Winslow have been out a few times but we need the rest of the group. I will post my Sadie and Winslow shots once I get the camera and the computer together.
I fear if my boss see's me downloading photos at work he might not appreciate it ;-)

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad