Author Topic: It is official ADD  (Read 2308 times)

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
It is official ADD
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:54:44 am »
I swear Shamus has ADD. We went out to poddy and he brought in a stick laid down then wanted back out. He went this time but only after trying to figure out what he was smelling in the wind. Terroizing the cats, playing with CUjo and then trying to lead his own leash. He would act like he was ready to go then jump up and find some other trouble to get into.

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: It is official ADD
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:16:16 am »
Could be ADD.  I have a friend whos golden was just dignosed with obsesive compulsive disorder and put on prozac.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 07:24:37 am »
I swear Shamus has ADD. We went out to poddy and he brought in a stick laid down then wanted back out. He went this time but only after trying to figure out what he was smelling in the wind. Terroizing the cats, playing with CUjo and then trying to lead his own leash. He would act like he was ready to go then jump up and find some other trouble to get into.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Setters...don't worry they start to settle around when they're nine  ;).  Remember he's still a puppy he's like a 2 yr old human kid and will get into everything and have the shortest attention span.  The good thing is Setters are really smart so start doing obedience to occupy him also if you want something that'll keep him occupied stuff a kong with peanut butter and some treats then freeze it and give it to him.  The bad thing is they are smart and figure out ways to be bad that no other dog would think of.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:25:06 am »
Sounds like normal puppy behavoir to me. Kiah did it all the time when she was a baby. She still does it to some extent now. Normally she won't go potty until we call her in the house. Then she's like oops I forgot to pee!

I don't know much about ADD in dogs. Is there an actual test for it?

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 07:26:04 am »
Bell was horrible with this but the only thing was is she would go out and do nothing and then come back in and pee on the rug.  so i started taking her out on a leash, you stand out there for about 10 minutes this keeps them from getting ocupied with something else.  If they dont go bring them back in and put them in their crate or in their room and do whatever it is you need to do then take them back out on a leash.  they start to think ok i really need to hurry up and go or she is going to put me up agian. it really worked with bell
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 07:33:27 am »
The ADD was a joke.
I take him out on a leash because of his keen sense of smell I am afraid he will try to find what he smells. I am no dummy I know he can run faster than I can.
He is pretty smart though he can shake, sit, and stay for a few seconds. We have had him two and a half weeks. He is already poddy trained he just spaces he has to go. If he really has to go he will head back out to the edge of the yard while we are trying to get him to come in. THis is after playing with the kids

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:18:42 am »
All joking aside...I really believe ADD is real in dogs and has nothing to do with puppyhood.  I swear Bella needs ritalin.  She's not a puppy anymore but you wouldn't know it by meeting her.  You can ask Dixie...and Melissakins.  They've both met her.  And she's just plain spastic!  She'll run laps on the ceiling!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:00:57 pm »
Bella looks good on the ceiling. She was a great girl this weekend at the craft show!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 02:04:44 pm »
She does add that special something to the light fixtures...    ;D