Author Topic: 2nd Dog  (Read 4452 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
2nd Dog
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:23:49 am »
Okay, Einstein and I have been happy together since the end of January.  We've gone from his ear infection/almost apathetic stage, to the jumping for joy/almost out of control stage.  I know he sleeps the majority of the day (because that's what he does on the weekends).  BUT, he seems like he's getting bored.  Since he's a guard/herding dog I wonder if he'd be happy if he had a dog to "guard".

We go for walks of 30-45 minutes EVERY day or sometimes, if my bones are aching too much, we go to the dog park for an hour.  But that's such a small part of his day, you know?

Since I can't move to the country and provide the acreage he'd love to have, I'd like to provide a situation in my home with more "work" for him -- some kind of job.  Other than carrying backpacks when we go for a walk (which I haven't tried) I'm thinking maybe he'd be happier if he had a friend.

Babs, I'm especially interested to hear your thoughts. 
Sarah

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Dog
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:32:55 am »
I think having two is easier than having one.  They entertain each other and wear each other out.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 07:40:20 am »
I definitely think having more than one dog is a great thing. They are pack animals and they thrive on companionship. ;D
It's great to watch them play, too!
 :)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:49:30 am »
I definitely think having more than one dog is a great thing. They are pack animals and they thrive on companionship. ;D
It's great to watch them play, too!
 :)

Says the mother of 6!  :P  You're such a bad influence on us one dog owners!  lol

I've been working on hubby to get a second dog and from the phone convo last night I think he's finally starting to "get it".  Holly has boredom/lonliness issues and I think a second dog or a cat would be great for her.  Hubby doesn't want a cat so that leaves the dog.  lol  I hope you find a good friend for your guy and a great family member when your ready.   :)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 07:57:33 am »
I think that that at least two is the way to go, as I work on getting number three.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:07:44 am »
I guess it was foolish of me to post this question on BPO.   ;D  I should have KNOWN the response would be a resounding YES GET ANOTHER ONE!!!!

Thanks ya'll.  Now I just hope my landlord will go for it.  He has two dogs, too, though.  So it's probably just a matter of find the right match.

Female for sure.  Medium to large (to withstand the mighty Einstein) and 2 years old or older.

Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 08:33:39 am »
Are you considering another LGD?  What are you looking for in regards to temp
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 08:58:12 am »
Are you considering another LGD?  What are you looking for in regards to temp

TYPE:  Big enough to play with Einstein and give him a run for his money.  Like a german shepherd. But I'm also considering something like a basset hound.  I had a basset as a kid and I recall she wasn't the type to go nuts when you walked up to her (like a poodle or terrier). And even though they're short, they're solid.  And since I only have about 1000 square feet of living area, I'm concerned if I get another giant, they're going to get claustrophobic .

Temperament wise:  strong, independent personality -- I like the lgd "aloof" quality.  Calm, not in need of constant or vigorous exercise, but happy to go for a walk.  Einstein is always happy for me to pay attention to him (petting), but he doesn't seem to be bothered if I'm ignoring him, either.

Any suggestions?
Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:23:26 am »
I think LGD's do best with other LGD's... I mean you can get other breeds LGD's just have a certain way of thinking.  In regards to space... My house is 1600 sqft, the dogs are never upstairs and they are fine... I have a decent sized fenced in yard and they go for a daily walk and both are very happy content animals...  LGD's were bred to lay around watching so space really isnt a huge issue as long as they get exercize

I will always have CAO's and CO's LOL, they fit my lifestyle to a T

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:32:55 am »
I think LGD's do best with other LGD's... I mean you can get other breeds LGD's just have a certain way of thinking.  In regards to space... My house is 1600 sqft, the dogs are never upstairs and they are fine... I have a decent sized fenced in yard and they go for a daily walk and both are very happy content animals...  LGD's were bred to lay around watching so space really isnt a huge issue as long as they get exercize

I will always have CAO's and CO's LOL, they fit my lifestyle to a T

What is it about them that YOU are so happy with?  I love Einstein's ability to leave me alone -- he doesn't have to have constant attention.  Even when we go to the park, he spends the first 30 minutes or so sniffing the ground, totally ignoring the activities of the "pack".

But when I do pay attention to him, he becomes a big puppy.  He's so quirky, too.  He just gets these bursts of energy sometimes and starts jumping around the room -- tossing his kong in the air or barking at the air. 

Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:45:11 am »
What is it I dont love about them...With both of them, I am in awe at how intune to me they are, I like the fact that they arent on top of me but near me, They are very calm tolerant tender animals to their own pack, defend you with their life in a heart beat, indifferent to the world around them, intelligent and able to think on their own, clean, able to tolerate wide range of temps, minimal grooming (brushing during fur storms) speedbumps in the house but when I am ready to go, they are too. Non destructive and can stay at home for 12 hours without incident if I should need them to.

I like how they have two faces... goofy love bugs to us but very stern to the outside world... they are like a secret

I can go on and on and on...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 11:46:08 am by BabsT »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:10 am »
I also are working on hubby for dog #2 - his reason for not having another one is because Harley doesn't listen. 

I do have concerns also though; Harley does love other dogs but he gets very jealous if I hug the kids or hubby and even if I pet his best friend Rusty he gets between us - have any of you had to deal with this issue?

I would love to hear your opinions

Thanks

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 06:05:23 am »
I also are working on hubby for dog #2 - his reason for not having another one is because Harley doesn't listen. 

I do have concerns also though; Harley does love other dogs but he gets very jealous if I hug the kids or hubby and even if I pet his best friend Rusty he gets between us - have any of you had to deal with this issue?

I would love to hear your opinions

Thanks

McDougal was our first dog and he was spoiled rotten for his first 3 1/2 years as an only dog so he was pretty miffed when we got the second puppy, then the cats, then Binky (probebly more to come...)  He is still quite jealous and he literally pouted for about 3 months after we brought Binky home!  However, it is just something he had to deal with and he got over it!  He still tries to squeeze in between me and my husband on the couch, or tries to get me to pet him instead of the other animals, but never in an agressive manner- just in a sad little "what about me" way!  Another dog is an adjustment for any pet, but given time, it usually works out.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:44 am »
We got Honey a few months ago as a 'girlfriend' for Chopper. Unfortunatly Honey runs the show and Chopper, at twice her size, is a big sissie. LOL. Getting a second dog was the best thing ever (most of the time).  Chopper never has a problem with chewing on anything since Honey moved in but Honey is like a little doggie wood chipper, which brings me to the question what would be good for her to chew that will be hard for her to shred.  I got her a ham bone the other day and she had it gone in 45 minutes.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:09:59 am »
I say go for it! Kiah loves having a little sister! They adore each other very much.