Author Topic: 10 Mo. Old Girl Newf in SF Bay Area in Need  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
10 Mo. Old Girl Newf in SF Bay Area in Need
« on: April 13, 2006, 03:13:03 am »
Last night, an acquaintance of ours brought a sweet little girl Newf over to our house.  It is a pretty sad story.  She came from what sounds like a total backyard breeder that was being very irresponsible and overbreeding her dogs.  I guess she had one 4 year old St. Bernard as well that had already had 4 litters.  Well this little girl Newf was the offspring of one of this "breeders" Newfs and they had to move and couldn't keep her.  She was given to a shelter and has been passed around several different foster families.  She had really bad cherry eyes and she finally got corrective surgery but I'm not sure one eye is completely corrected yet.  At 10 months old, she still hasn't had her heart and hips checked so I'm not sure of her status there.  She didn't really interact with Drake too much, but that's probably because she's so stressed out.  She is very sweet, but obviously a troubled dog.   Very needy and you can tell she wants someone who will give her the love she's never gotten.  It's like she knows exactly what's going on, probably because she been passed around so much.  She didn't even want to get in the car to leave our place, so sad.  We have thought about getting a rescue Newf and that's why we had our friend bring her to our house, but she is going to require more attention that we can give right now.  We're just being realistic and want to avoid a bad situation and this poor girl being passed over again.  Our friend is currently fostering her, but isn't sure she if she will keep her.  Can anybody help?  Please let me know because this dog really needs a loving family!!!  :( I have contacted the NCNC but I want to spread the word to as many people as possible.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:31:59 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: 10 Mo. Old Girl Newf in SF Bay Area in Need
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:17:54 pm »
Oh man I wish I was closer ... and not, you know, the total opposite end of a whole other country! It breaks my heart to hear stories like this one.  I hope her forever home is very close too!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Mo. Old Girl Newf in SF Bay Area in Need (Update!)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:55:05 am »
Good News!  After doing some logo work for the NCNC and NH&R, I made some good contacts within the Newf community.  Yesterday, I emailed a few people I had gotten to know well and last night I got a phone call.  Wow!  They work fast!  To make a long story short, the NH&R had been trying to work with the shelter that Lola was at to get her into rescue, but they never returned their calls and then just handed her off to the first person who wanted her, who happened to be my friend.  So I have put my friend in touch with the NH&R rep and Lola is going to be put into rescue.  Which means she will not be placed into another home until they pass an extremely thorough application and screening process.  It is a lot of work on the part of the NH&R, but it is a labor of love.  What a great organization! I am confident Lola will find a good home.  On a sad note, I was informed by the NH&R that they have an all time high amount of Newfs in need of rescue.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Josh winning Westminster.  I'll keep everybody posted on this...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 05:56:23 am by Newf Lover »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:07:06 am »
Thanks so much for the up-date, Ryan!  Everytime I looked at your post, I felt SO sad!  If Cowboy wasn't so high need, I'd take another!!!  I know that Newf rescue does an awesome job working with those guys and getting them rehabilitated and ready for their forever homes.  Nine times out of ten, I think the foster family ends up keeping them ;D ;D

If anybody in Cali is looking for a Newf, think about Rescue. I have to say that there is no dog more loving and grateful for his life than Cowboy.  He really is the most perfect dog (except for a touch of epilepsy!! ::) ::))

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 12:06:10 am »
Now for some bad news.  I contacted the NH&R society and they contacted my friend about Lola.  She told them that they needed to contact the Milo Foundation to work out taking custody of Lola.  The Milo Foundation flat out refused their help and wouldn't even talk to them.  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!!!  It all because they want to get paid.  It cost $800 to get poor Lola's eyes fixed and they want their money.  The NC&R is non-profit and they have to resources to dig into to pay.  But for an "animal shelter" to deny a dog to a group that specializes in placing that particular breed, just because they want money is despicable.  They just gave her away on a whim to a person who felt sorry for her but they won't give her to a group that would find her a good home - GUARANTEED!  So now, it looks like Lola is going to get passed around once again...  I'm so pissed!  Does anybody have any dirt on the Milo Foundation?  I would like to hear it if you do, I'm thinking about registering a complaint to the HSUS and the local SPCA about them and it would be good to have some ammo aside from Lola's situation.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:07:01 am by Newf Lover »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:34:28 pm »
***BUMP***

Any Milo Foundation info would be appreciated!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:46:52 pm »
I've never heard of the Milo Foundation.... but if we all chip in a few $ to pay for the surgery, would it help?

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:50:51 pm »
I've never heard of the Milo Foundation.... but if we all chip in a few $ to pay for the surgery, would it help?

I'd also be willing to chip in to make sure this girl goes to the right home. Let me know if you think it would help?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:59:24 pm »

I'd also be willing to chip in to make sure this girl goes to the right home. Let me know if you think it would help?

Thank you for offering, anything would help. I will check with the NH&R and get a precise dollar amount and maybe we can work something out with the Milo Foundation.  More to come...

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:12:27 am »
Good news (and kinda bad) :-\
Lola was adopted yesterday. She was picked up at her foster home, and taken to her new home without any screening or site visitation by the Milo organization.
I hope to God that the lady who took her will love and take good care of her, she is a really GREAT dog!!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 01:47:18 am »
Fingers and paws crossed!!!  I hope that this is her final, forever home!!! :-\

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 03:10:26 am »
Good news (and kinda bad) :-\
Lola was adopted yesterday. She was picked up at her foster home, and taken to her new home without any screening or site visitation by the Milo organization.
I hope to God that the lady who took her will love and take good care of her, she is a really GREAT dog!!!!

That's good news.  I hope this lady gives her the love and attention she needs and this is the last home she ever has to go to.