Author Topic: Big Paws in the Military  (Read 5940 times)

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Big Paws in the Military
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:31:27 pm »
Hi Guys!

So I've been thinking about joining the military here in the US and I know I probably wont end up close to home to start with. My mom has agreed to "puppy sit" while I'm away at training as well. Anyone have any advise regarding being in the military with a big paw? If your single living on base are they allowed? Moving around? etc.? I want whats best for me and Jager but in no way would I sacrifice him. I have one "advantage" and thats that I will be going in as an officer so I'd have a few (very few) more perks for living.

Thanks for any help!
Annette
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Big Paws in the Military
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:45:44 pm »
I can't help you because I'm not a military person, but I know that there are a few BPOers who are in the military. One that comes to mind is Stacey - you should try PMing her
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:28:47 pm »
I was just reading a website the other night about military personnel and their pets.  I'll see if I can't find it for you but you might try checking with the recruiters or whoever you would be going through. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:34:46 pm »
Hi,
What branch of the service are you planning on going into? I am an Air Force wife. I can't speak for any of the other branches, and my husband and I have been married since before he joined. He also went in as an officer (VERY smart move) As a single person living on base you are in the dorms. So pets are not allowed. However being an officer in the Air Force you are allowed to live off of base and given a Base Housing allowance. I'm not sure what it is for single people but it helps cover the bills. We have 2 great danes and a 90 lb lab mix. Robin our 90 lb lab mix I got my husband as a wedding gift, so she has been with us before he joined. She does fine with the moves, and we drive to our next duty station (you get paid per day, and for hotels for driving) Brody our 11 month old great dane we got when we lived in Texas and she now lives in Arizona with us, she also handled the move fine, and we drove again. Moose our 14 week old dane we got here so he hasn't moved anywhere with us. But we have never had any problems with our "big paws". All my dogs have always done fine, and the military helps with finding "pet friendly" hotels when you transfer and before you find a place to live. I hope I helped out a little bit. My husband joining the Air Force has been the best thing he could have ever done for us. Please feel free to PM me or email me if you have anymore questions and I  will do my best to find the answers for you. Good Luck

Shelly
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:39:21 pm »
Hello.  My husband is currently in the Marines, but is getting ready to retire next month, as 20 yrs is long enough.  ;)  Since I really haven't had to move anywhere but here and we live on base, moving hasn't been an issue for me.

I do know that single people have to live in the barracks, and pets are not allowed there, so I would try to get off base housing if you can.  I know here there are lots of people living off base, and there are many places that accept pets, but very few that take dogs of any size.  They are there, you just have to search for them and be willing to possibly commute quite aways.

Other than the last couple of years, the military has treated my husband well, even if he is enlisted and not an officer.   ;)  It is a great opportunity and the best job security out there.  Good luck with your decision. If you do join, I'm sure something can be worked out so your fur family can go with you.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 06:35:04 am »
Thank you all so much for helping me out! Tuesday morning I go talk to the Coast Guard recruiter (I'm a former Army wife and definately not going there!). Hopefully I'll still be stationed here in Florida and there are three stations all within an hour drive of my house. There's also an Air Force base (MacDill aka CentCom). I know my family supports me going in as long as it's somewhere I can be close to home!

I'll definately go in as an officer (go me! I'm educated!). But I'm still at a toss up between Air Force and Coast Guard. My family has served both for multiple generations. Again thanks so much for the info. Now I have some more questions for the recruiter.

Annette
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat