Author Topic: Ants - Suggestions PLEASE!!!  (Read 3601 times)

k2campbell

Ants - Suggestions PLEASE!!!
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:18:05 am »
We have a HUGE ant colony under our patio in the backyard.  Last year we bought 14 - RAID Ant Baits and it didn't get rid of them.  We were told that many baits would do it (but unfortunately not).  The hardware store here in town has ant powders, but they aren't pet-safe (so we're reluctant to try those).  They prescribe your pet stay away for up to 7 days.  Kate loves her yard way too much, she'd be VERY upset if we went that route!

Any suggestions to a pet-friendly method to rid of the ants? 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ants - Suggestions PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:07:19 am »
Diatomaceous Earth is the best thing that I've heard of that is completely pet friendly. One source I found is
www.gardenharv estsupply.com

Hopefully it helps!!!

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:44:20 am »
I heard that White Vinegar works good.  Pests hate it.  Pour some in a water bottle and spray down the whole area.  Then if your dog gets into it (very doubtful), it won't hurt him.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:04:04 am »
We ususally have ants too,but last year waiting in line at the flower shop,at least 30 mintutes,I saw this spray by Ortho for ants that you spray around your foundation and it worked so good I might of seen maybe 1 or 2 the rest of the year.I cant remember the name though sorry.I also heared borax around the foudation,didnt work,but I had a nice white ring around it.Go with the ortho.Final answer.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 11:19:16 am »
I use boric acid powder in the house because it doesn't hurt the cats or the dogs and it kills everything.  But I love the Ortho line of any products.  The Ortho season long stuff doesn't work for us but then again we are in Houston and our ant season is all year long. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
I use Tide.  It works, I swear.  Just sprinkle it one and it kills them.  With acerage, I had to find something effective and cheap.  And our ant season is all year too.  DE is the very bestest stuff in the whole world.  I just wish I could get it locally since I can't order off of the internet.

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 12:13:02 am »
Powder.  There's something in it that is deadly.  Ever since I started using it on ant hills, I've been afraid to use it on my clothes.  I mean, what's it doing to the ground water????  I'm on well and spetic here so I'm scared to put something in quantity into the ground.  I also don't drink Cokes...it dissolves nails in a couple of days. 

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 12:42:27 am »
Another vote for Diatomaceous Earth here.

Also, Cricket, Tide is not bidegradable, so I don't use it as I have a septic system too.

Try Method, they just started selling it at Target or you can get it on their web site: http://www.methodhome.com/

I love their stuff, it smells SO good!  All of the ingredients are biodegradable and naturally-derived.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:18:21 am »
Mom and Dad had the same problem with their driveway about 15 years ago, and they tried everything--Ortho products, Tide, Avon Skin So Soft, boric acid, you name it.  The problem is that whatever you use only gets around the edges of the colony, never into the center of it, and so it never really works.

What finally DID work was boiling water.  Mom just got homocidal one day after she'd left part of a load of groceries in the back of the station wagon for the 15 minutes it took to put the first batch away, and came back to find the ants had already gotten into the car and all over her half flat of peaches. 

She went in and started boiling water in her great big canning bath-kettles--they hold 5+ gallons of water apiece.  When she had both of them at a round boil, she went out and opened the biggest of the nest holes to about a 6 inch diameter with a shovel. Then she made my brother and I help her carry the canning kettles out one at a time and slowly, slowly pour all the boric acid water in the hole.  And it definitely took all three of us adults--my brother and I to hold the weight of the kettle, and my mom tilting it to control the flow of the water, to make sure it didn't overflow the hole she'd opened up.

And then she did it twice more that day, just for good measure. She used chalk to mark all the spots around the driveway where ants were fleeing the boiling flood en masse, and she spent a week pouring canning kettles full of boiling water into every last hole. 

They've never had any serious ant problems since. 

My theory of why it worked is that we forced enough water into the tunnels in a large enough amount that we were able to force it all the way into the heart of the colony by they sheer weight of the water, and the heat did the killing of the ants.  Also, because there was so MUCH heat, the slab of the driveway actually worked to hold it in the colony, rather than letting it dissapate in the air--the concrete was warm to the touch well into the evening. I've tried boiling out colonies in gardens and around foundations, and it never worked as completely as it did with that colony under the driveway.  I'll bet you'd get a similar effect with your patio.

If you decide to try this,  make sure that you have LARGE containers of boiling water to work with--use those huge thermos-server things to keep it hot as you boil it, if you don't have canning kettles to use--until you have at least 8-10 gallons at a time to pour into the colony.  And pour only as fast as the hole you're using will take the water.  It took us a half hour to pour those kettles into that hole.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 02:35:38 am »
Hi,

Well in an old thread (What to do if attacked by a dog) I gave a Cayenne pepper spray recepie. It is very good for a pestacide too. :o

For the ants change the "Alcohol to Vinegar"

I was amased at what a wonder spice the cayenne peper is. and tasty too. ;D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Cayenne+pepper

Here is a recipie for a home made cayenne pepper spray. It is easy and cheap to make and you can control the strength of the liquid. Take Cayenne pepper as much as you want at least two tablespoons full and soak that in alcohol (rubbing is best, but any alcohol is fine) overnight at least 1 cup. Strain that liquid into a spray bottle, (make sure it is a good stream sprayer , not just a mist)the straight liquid is the strongest, you can add water to dilute the concentration.

Oh and if you add a lot of water this is a great spray for your garden to deter pests from you vegtables and flowers and will not harm us Humans like pesticides can.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 07:25:07 am »
EVERYONE - thanks SO much for all the wonderful ideas and products for ridding of the pesky ants!  I have a tough choice to make now, with all of these informative suggestions!  Thanks again for all of your help, it is appreciated! ;)

I am very much looking forward to being able to sit on the patio and not have my legs up on the patio table!!! ::)