Author Topic: Canine Therapeutic Visitation Update  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Canine Therapeutic Visitation Update
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:39:57 am »
Hello all,

I have gotten my Canine Therapeutic Visitation service fully under way.  It is exciting.   We are visiting one facility each Saturday, and 3 facilities every other Sunday, covering a total of 11 facilities throughout the month.  Starting next month, I will be bringing on another person (our very own Mari, Cowboy & Chester's mom) ;D ;D ;D that will help out with some of the load.

The visits have been very successful.  Most of the residents are excited to see us and had been looking forward to the visit for a few days in advance.  We meet in the activity room of each facility where my dogs (one at a time) can walk around to each person and get some lovin' from them.   Then the dogs (well, actually me) gives the person some cookies (if they want some) and a photo card of the dog.... see below:

Remi (my "puppy") is doing much better at these visits than Samson is.  That totally surprised me.  Samson is my calm one that is versatile to just about any environment ... Remi is my "crazy" dog that only wants to play.   But when I bring them into the Senior facilities, they reverse there roles.  After Remi gets done vacuuming the floor of all the cracker and cookie crumbs, she will then go visit everyone to get her lovin'.   Samson, on the other hand, is too distracted with everything in the room that he just could care less about visiting with anyone.   Mmmm ... go figure.

Below are some photos I took of my dogs all dressed up, ready for Therapy.  And also a couple of photos I took yesterday at the facility we visited.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 02:19:28 pm by Svnt4God »

DakotaMom

Re: Canine Therapeutic Visitation Update
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:51:08 am »
This is great! I know how much these visits mean to the residents. When my MIL was in a facility, the therapy dog visits meant the world to her. Her short term memory was non existant but she always remembered the dogs visiting.

Thank you for bringing joy to so many people.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:01:21 am »
It will be fun to get together with Barbara and our big paws to go to work!!  We can't wait!

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 02:17:15 am »
Dogs and cookies?  That's just like dark chocolate and a good mystery.  You are fantastic!