Author Topic: cruciate tear and conservative management  (Read 2228 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
cruciate tear and conservative management
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:08:17 am »
just wondering if anyone on the board has had success with conservative management of a cruciate ligament tear in their large dog?  Cirra has had this diagnosis after lameness, and one vet recommends TPLO out of state.  Concerned about the many potentially severe complications and have embarked on the long process of trialing conservative management, restricting activity, bracing, etc.  Any wise words regarding the "traditional" procedures such as lateral tie either? Cirra is outgoing, exuberant, 16 months old and hard to keep "quiet." All considerations with any surgery, and she is a pyr, so anesthesia concerns reign as well.  Felt that she was far too sedated just for xrays even after warning the vet consultant not to dose by weight.....Wel l, we are 3 weeks into the official diagnosis and a total of 3 months into lameness problems with the knee.  Arthritis is inevitable  with any method of management and just have not wanted to irrevocably change her anatomy without heavy consideration and trial of conservative methods. Wanted to throw this out there as we still agonize every day about this.  She is walking, tends to have a habit of partial weighbearing,but weightbears better with the brace, and distractions.. ..Well, enough said for now. Wish us luck with our wild and wonderful gal!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: cruciate tear and conservative management
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:55:53 am »
I feel your pain.  Kaila had a partial ACL tear and she was less than a year old.  We were lucky that it wasn't a full tear but she was on Rimadyl to manage the pain and inflamation.  Also had to keep her quiet.  Not easy keeping a 10 month old Malinois quiet.  The other options were the TPLO surgery and the normal surgery.  We were very lucky with the non-surgery route and she healed up nicely.  I'll send good vibes your way for a nice recovery and that the time flies by.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:27:29 pm »
I'd have to look into accupunture and chiropractic avenues as well as traditional western meds.  Often the healing is augmented with both accupunture and manipulation.  But then I'm a big proponent of alternative meds.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:32:18 pm »
My Golden Bailey had TPLO last summer. He tore straight through the ACL though so we didn't have a lot of other non surgical options. And TPLO seemed like the best bet of the options we had. He had a tough first few days, but gradually he got better. The toughest part was trying to keep him quiet. He has a tendency to jump on couches to snuggle and the vet told us not to let him because getting down could be damaging to his knee. The orthodogs group on yahoo was very helpful when I was dealing with this with  Bailey, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs (you might have to copy and paste the link). Bailey did great with the procedure. Now you'd never know he had it.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:36:07 pm »
We did two TPLO's on our Newf girl, Lucille, just because she was so large ( 120 pounds) and the orthopedist didn't think conservative methods would work as well on her.  She healed up quickly and was great for the rest of her life.  I agree with trying everything else first, but if all else fails, the surgery does work beautifully.

I have a good friend with Bernese Mountain dogs and one of hers has had the surgery three times....twice on one knee because he got out and went running in the hills right after surgery. :P  She was one angry lady!!! ::) ::) ::)