Author Topic: First post and New baby coming home  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Sheehan

• Gnawer
  • Our new baby
    • View Profile
First post and New baby coming home
« on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:11 am »
Hi I'm new posting here. But I have been reading for a while. I have a newfie we adopted and a great pyr that was givin to us by my sis who was not exactly ready for a large breed. Both of our girls where over a year when we got them. So a new pup is kind of new to us. He is a newfie. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we really need to get? I've got gates for the stairs, new dishes for him, a bed, and a few toys. Our crew is so spoiled. Both the furkids have their own toy boxes. The breeder says he is already potty trained and doesn't have accidents. Can he really be potty trained at 10 weeks? Thanks for any suggestions. Sheehan :)
"Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: First post and New baby coming home
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:57:48 am »
Welcome. :)

Congrats on the new pup. If he's already potty-trained, then congrats again! LOL Riley (my Saint) had on-and-off accidents until about 7-months-old... and a 7-month-old Saint holds a lot of urine.

It sounds like you've got your bases covered. Are you crate training? If so, the that's one thing to add to the list. Leash, collar, tags, chew toys (he's going to need a lot of kongs and stuff when he's teething)... Can't think of anything else off-hand.

Post plenty of pictures! :)

PS-I'm Annie, aka Macybean. Sadie (Lab) and Riley (St. Bernard) are the canine members of my pack... ;)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:15:26 am »
Welcome!!! Yay another newf puppy!!! I'm Erin and I'm the humble servant of Kali the newf and Lacey the aussie.

Must haves with a newf puppy:
1. a kiddy pool or sprinkler or other form of water to play in.
2. A swiffer vac perfect for getting all the hair in between major cleans.
3.  For teething (I know it will be a little while) Chilly Bones are awesome you dunk them in water and throw them in a freezer and they soothe the sore gums.
4. Kongs are awesome to keep them busy as well as for teething.
5. Some sort of no chew spray to protect the stuff like woodwork during the chewing phase.
6. A non flip water bowl that isn't big enough to play in unless you don't mind having water all over the floor ;D.

As for the potty training it is possible to be trained that early just be ready for accidents.  Generally you'll want to take them out about 10 min after a major drink and 25 min after eating.  I've heard teaching them a cue to go potty works wonders but haven't had the chance to try it with my dogs.  Also make sure you puppy proof very well so he can't get into everything.  Don't let him jump around by lifting him in and out of cars (also you may want to get a ramp and train him to use it) and up and down stairs until he gets too big.  Good luck with your new puppy and I hope you post lots of picks of all of your furkids.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:00:42 pm »
Congratulation s on your precious new puppy.  ;D
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 01:17:48 pm »
It must be new puppy week here at BPO. Congrats on the new newfie pup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post lots of pics of the new puppy and the rest of your crew.  ;D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:06:09 pm »
Congrats on the pup!  How exciting!  He may be trained where he is but will likely revert a bit when coming to a new place and new routine.  Ask detailed questions from the breeder as to her routine and follow it as close as possible to help the pup make the adjustment.  What time does she feed/take pup out/etc?  Another key time to go potty is as soon as they wake up from sleeping for a while.  You can also watch pup for clues.  They will usually sort of run around in a circle looking for a place to go before they do it. 
Daphne

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:19:42 pm »
HI... I am "sort of" new Newfie owner and my family is owned by Kuma 17 weeks.

I second the baby pool...all the “other” stuff is important but the pool is crucial!  ;D

Seriously though...in regard to toys and such, I wish I had not bought SO much stuff in the beginning and waited to find out what she likes....
I still find that I am making trips to Wal-Mart and the PetSmart as I am finding out her likes and dislikes.
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:19:03 am »
Congratulation s on the new pup!  I'm looking forward to a day when I, too, will have the chance to bring a Newf pup into our home.  My name is Sandy, and I am the proud servant of Barkley (a rescued Landseer Newf, somewhere between 8 and 11 years old)and Sheba (an almost 4 rottie/lab sweetheart of a little girl).

I was speaking with a breeder last night to start discussions about a pup or a rescue.  She says her contract requires no steps at all for the first six months of the pup's life ... I'd never heard that before but after talking with her, I understand why and will follow that advice if/when we adopt a pup.

Good luck and post pics!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 08:32:04 am »
there is no way a 10 week old can be completly potty trained, unless you are able to watch him to be certain.
the bladder is not nearly developed enough.
good luck with your pup, your breeder should be there to guide you on everything you need! ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:18:19 pm by jabear »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:17:05 pm »
 ;D   can't wait to see the pictures of your new put good luck ! Marina And Bryce
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 10:21:26 pm »
Ah..a new pup! Congratulation s! The others have given you great advice. Just remember to keep him cool, give him lots of hugs and kisses, and one more thing...add him to the kidnap list.  ;D

As for the potty training, I believe it is totally possible because when my husband got Bear and 10 weeks he had him trained completely before he gave to me at 12 weeks for Christmas. Never did he have an accident in the house and was naturally inclined to give us potty signals: sitting at the door, touching the door with his paw and if that failed then he'd bark. :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 07:32:23 am »
Congratulation s on getting a new puppy, there is nothing as cute a Newf pup ;D. So when do we get to see the new baby ;)

I'm Shelley and I'm owned by three Newfs ;D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 03:36:15 am »
Puppies puppies puppies!!!! I am so happy for all of you! One thing I may suggest to add to the list of things to get, towels not the $4.99 but the $9.99 super water soaker kind! Copa is always sticking his feet in the water bowl or being a lazy drinker and laying down right into the bowl! Water every where!!! Oh yeah you need a camera to share your pictures with us!! ;D
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."