Author Topic: Another great neighbour - NOT!!!  (Read 3404 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Another great neighbour - NOT!!!
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:16 pm »
I was out walking Teddy and my kids (5&6) last night and happened to stop at one of Eve's grade 1 friends houses because they were outside playing.  We were talking to the Dad who was BBQing. 

He said "here, let me see the lead" and so (me being the trusting person I am) I handed it over without a second thought.  He proceeded to run the lead from the collar and then around Teddy's waist and jerk him up into the air with it a few times! :o  He says "this is what you do to aggressive dogs!"

Hello!!!!  Teddy is 14 weeks (he's still a baby!!) and is anything but aggressive!!!  He was excited and wiggly but was not jumping or barking.  There was not a trace of aggressive in anything he did.

I just grabbed the leash and told him that since Teddy was a baby, and was not showing any aggression, that he did not need to be handled like that.

I don't know where people get off laying hands on my dog!! 

I understand the concept of wrapping the leash around the waist (something about it being the second attack point since you already have the throat) and have read that some dogs will react badly to this.  Its one things to do something, but I think someone should understand WHY it works (or doesn't) and should NOT do it to someone else's dog - especially when there are 3 little kids standing around!!!!

I'm really aggitated about this.  Can you tell??
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Kiahpyr

Re: Another great neighbour - NOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:50:31 pm »
OMG! That's horrible! Poor Teddy! I am very bothered by it and it didn't happen to me. I just don't get people these days. Teddy wouldn't hurt a fly.

On a side not I can't believe how big he's getting! Give him a big hug and kiss from us. :-*

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:51:14 pm »
The NERVE of some people...like I said in my last post...why does big have to equal scary, mean, aggressive, etc. To me that would be like spanking someone elses misbehaving kids in a store!   (Not that our Teddy was misbehaving) :-*
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:53:17 pm »
I cannot believe some of the neighbour related posts I read I hear. How dare someone decide to do a demonstration of their  "training" techniques on someone elses dog. My lord, people are nuts!!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:07:53 am »
That would have been a good time for Teddy to become aggressive and snap that guys throat!  Jeez, I didn't realize I was so violent.  It's these stories about stupid people and the things they say and do.

More reasons to retire in Mexico, live alone and never learn the language.
Sarah

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:59 am »
Sarah, I'll be living next door to you in Mexico with my pack!

Who the heck does that neighbor think he is??  That would be the very LAST time Teddy goes to visit him, unless it's to p** on his lawn!!! >:(

I am seriously angry too!!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:19:59 am »
I wonder how many beers "Dad" had put away while BBQ-ing that evening?  ;D  These a-hole/retarded/insane neighbor stories crack me up, makes me feel lucky to have the neighbors that I have.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 12:21:14 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:24:33 am »
the NERVE of your neighbor! The absolute nerve! Who does he think he is?! That makes me so flippin' mad.... and poor Teddy!

On a side note...
I recently went to a dog training seminar where they used that method (called the half-hitch)... I didn't know a thing about it until that day... and when the trainer talked about doing it to an adult dog... and how you needed to use a branch to run the lead over when "hoisting" your dog because they will want to lash out... and will trash about... and vomit, urinate and lose their bowels before submitting.... it made me sick to my stomach! And when I imagined my babies going through that - my eyes welled with tears.

the vibe of the trainers (and they were all men) was creepy... they gave off a vibe of anger.

Perhaps next time you can try your neighbor's "training" technique on him!  ;)

Big hugs & Kisses to Teddy!

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 01:14:26 am »
the vibe of the trainers (and they were all men) was creepy... they gave off a vibe of anger.

Perhaps next time you can try your neighbor's "training" technique on him!  ;)

Here Here!!! :D
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 01:22:50 am »
EllieandBlu, I believe it was your report here on BPO about that training seminar where I heard it.  I remembered some of the horrid things that a dog might do to defend himself from this method and that is what freaked me out about the kids standing there. :o 

Some people are so stupid! >:(
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 01:46:48 am »
I'm so sorry that happened.  What a psycho!! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:51:12 am »
I'm sorry, but not only do I find that method ridiculous, painful and unnecessary, I would NEVER recommend doing that to an aggressive dog or you will end up losing an arm.  Besides that, it should never be used on a puppy, you could seriously hurt them.

Ugh, sometimes I cannot believe how stupid some people are out there. As soon as I start to forget, someone posts something like this and I am reminded all over again.  People like this disgust me.  Unless you are asking for advice, no one has the right to manhandle your dog.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 01:53:50 am »
I'm sorry, but not only do I find that method ridiculous, painful and unnecessary, I would NEVER recommend doing that to an aggressive dog or you will end up losing an arm.  Besides that, it should never be used on a puppy, you could seriously hurt them.

Exactly.... and at the seminar the trainer said the best candidate for this method of training is a puppy...

I think the trainers had it all wrong... the aggressive ones are them, not the dogs!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:56:03 am by EllieAndBlu »