Author Topic: "When he gets big I'll be scared of him..."  (Read 10185 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: "When he gets big I'll be scared of him..."
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 08:46:27 pm »
I guess I am different in the sense that if people come over that arent fond of dogs, i generally put them outside or away...most of the times my dogs go and lay down somewhere anyways

But if people are uncomfortable around my dogs my dogs will pick up on that instantly and they will wonder why these strange people are afraid

I dont know I guess I just respect that not everyone likes dogs and I dont force them too...and I dont force my dogs onto anyone
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 12:58:37 am »
I ask to pet EVERYONE'S dog, ;)  and then I ask the DOG if they want to have a pet, too. You just don't know--sometimes, a person will say, "Sure, pet him!", and the dog is not in the mood just then. Even dogs I see regularly who come up to me BEGGING for a pet, I acknowledge with a "Come for a lovey, huh?" before I put my hands on them. 

You know something that would be great?  Printed shirts for dog walking:  "Ask if you can pet my dog!" if your dog is the flirty type, or "No, you can't pet him!" your baby's a little more standoffish. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 01:08:12 am »
When I run into situations when a child is afraid of my big dog, I allow them that "freedom" to be scared, but would ask that they stay in the room with me and my dog (even if they want to sit at the opposite side of the room).  Then they can observe that the GIANT dog is very friendly and very harmless.  Then ... what do you know ... eventually the child will start to sneek over, closer and closer, till eventually the child is comfortable in the room.  It doesn't take long after that before the child is actually petting and playing with my GIANT dog.

Working with an irrational adult on the other hand ... well that's different.  Most adults cannot be "trained".

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 01:14:29 am »
Well the kids aren't afraid of animals as they have wanted a yellow lab for YEARS but have always lived in apts.  The mom had 2 Akitas in her previous marriage when the kids were really little.  I don't think it is a fear of big dogs, I honestly think it is that my SIL thinks he is going to be a jumpy, high energy dog like what the rest of the family has had (toy poodles, pomeranians, chihuahuas, etc.) and no amount of telling them otherwise is going to do any good.  (Can you imagine a 200+ dog with the energy of a toy breed???  For the LOVE OF GOD!!!)  They will have to see themselves.  I am even going to look into Boudreaux becoming a Therapy Dog once he gets old enough.  <fingers crossed!>   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 04:33:27 am »
I can understand your point and I have done the same but not all breeds of dogs (like the two I own) have temps that welcome strange people...

Even with me being pregnant in this hands on world... nothing drive me more nuts than people touching my stomach... Same thing when my son was small...strang e people touching and squeezing him... There is a space that people should respect and DAMNIT...my belly is one of them LMAO
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 08:27:47 am »
LOL!!! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 03:25:59 am »
I have been lucky enough in life to be ugly and somewhat short tempered (how I ended up married to beautiful woman is beyond me). This has lead to me being rather stand-offish (but not rude) towards most people. My dog Goliath has totally broken me of that ..... there is simply no other way. People come up so often to pet him or comment on how big he is (35" at shoulder and about 170 lbs at almost 18 months) etc... that I have no choice but to interact. It has worked out pretty well. I guess this is opposite of the usual response (and there have been one or two instances where people were clearly scarred of him) but I chalk it up to his great personality (well ... its not mine!) and adorable face. He hasn't met the hand that is unwelcome to pet him .... young or old!

Matthew and Goliath