Author Topic: Strangers by my fence  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Strangers by my fence
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 02:56:08 am »
Hi,

Because they have not been approached, because people assume they are up to no good, because they are not doing anything bad, destructive, rude or obnoxious.

Now like I said earlier if you have reason to call the police on them do that, but the police will not park on that corner or area for the rest of their lives, so the opportunity to come back and get even with those people who called the police on them for just standing on a public corner is more likely then if you take the 2 minutes to be neighborly, feel your gut instints and decide if calling Law enforcement is necessary.

If you know them, their names and a little about them the likely hood that they will hurt the dogs goes way down becuase you know who they are!! If you know them you can Identify them, If you know them and are nice to them THEY will tell you if someone else did something. They can be your eyes and ears in the neighborhood.

Again gut instinct takes Presedence if you feel uncomfortable call the POLICE I would never suggest you put your self in danger but to assume danger will create the possibility in my opinion.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Blair

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 02:58:17 am »
Rich you do make some good points in that last post of yours.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 03:11:10 am »
"Gut instinct" fails people and leads to dangerous situations all the time.

Predators are masters in disguise, they fool adults, kids, women and men, people probably much smarter than your or I.

If your neighbors thought it strange enough to mention to you, it's probably worth taking very seriously.

That's my opinion.  Unless someone knows me VERY well, I wouldn't see any reason for them to be hanging around my backyard or fence.

-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 03:37:17 am »
Have you thought about leaving them a note? 

Just something like this on a big poster board that you can fasten to the fence:

"Hi, boys!

We know you've been hanging around the back fence looking at my sweet dogs, but you always leave before anyone can say hello.  If it's because you love dogs and are curious, come on up to the front door, and let's talk! We're always glad to meet new dog lovers.

BUT:

If you have bad intentions toward my dogs, you should know that a friend of mine practices voodoo, and anyone who hurts my darlings in any way will have something very, very bad happen to their family jewels.  THIS IS NOT ANY KIND OF A JOKE.  My dogs ARE protected by a spell.  Leave them alone for your own health and safety."

Something like that... ;)

I'm stalking the St. Bernard that moved in across the street right now, but his owners are never in the yard where I can like, approach them and say, "Oh, I love your dog", and strike up a conversation.  I wish they'd notice and leave ME a note on their fence...

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 03:41:38 am »
Hey, Sheryl, there's a note JUST like that on my fence!  Come round any time!!!! ;)

Blair

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 04:09:59 am »
Oh I love that note!!! hehehehe

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 07:48:08 am »
Blair, I would deffinately keep a close eye out.If they are dissapearing between when you spot them and when you get to them, I would either try and take their picture with your camera from inside the house (just in case you ever need it) or at least call to them from your house - if they are not doing anything wrong, they would respond to your call, if they flee when you call to them, that deffinately indicates they are up to no good.

I hate to be to pessimist here, but I would be cautious about more than just your dogs. I would also keep a close eye on your little girls and check the sex offender registry in your area. In today's society I don't trust any strangers that regularly hang around a house that contains children
RIP former BPO

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 10:42:18 pm »
If you are in a medium/big city, I would worry a bit. If you are in a small town or a smi-rural area, I wouldn't worry as much. The only reason I give for this is that it seems that big citys have an unwritten "code" that says you don't stop at someone elses yard and gawk, especially not repeatedly. In rural areas or in small towns the "code" seems allows for a lot more lax behavior, because people assume they are in a "safe" environment.

Either way, just keep an eye out as best as you can, and make your presence known. If they are up to no good, but they know you are always watching, it won't be worth the risk to them.

Blair

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 01:15:20 am »
Well if anyone pops by my fence to admire my boys and doesn't introduce themselves and tell me they live in my neighborhood it would make me nervous too. Pitbull bait dogs are big down here well, as you read about with the story of Khan, the Newf who got stolen. Bava stays inside when we're not home and guards the house and Mowglie is on the deck protecting the back of the house. When we're home, Mowglie is out in the fenced yard doing dogly things and Bava is roaming around the house (still recuping from the surgery)

Can you leave them inside for a while until things seem better? at least while you're not home? It's good you have a neighbor to keep an eye on things for you too.

My dogs are never left outside unattened. They are only oustide to go potty and play for a few minutes when i am home. But spend most of their time inside.