Author Topic: Pond Scum and Your Dogs  (Read 9756 times)

Nicole

Pond Scum and Your Dogs
« on: April 20, 2006, 07:37:14 am »
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share something that I learned about in my Lake and Watershed Management class yesterday. There are toxic bacteria (blue-green algae) that can be deadly to your dog. They are the scum on ponds and small lakes. Do not EVER let your dogs get into ponds that have a scum on the top, as the scum are what happens when the cyanobacteria become toxic. They're not always toxic, but can produce toxins when they're stressed. So, if there has been a drought or not enough nitrogen in the water, etc. they can produce toxins.

Lots of dogs die from this, and its not well-known. The cyanobacteria can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Just wanted to share this! I know how much Cabeza likes to wallow around in icky water, so I figured that everyone else might have the same issues! hahaha! Please keep your dogs out of water with a thick green scum on the top, though! It could make them sick or even kill them!

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
Re: Pond Scum and Your Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:43:22 am »
Thank you for that info.
We have a pond, though it has never had scum on it, I'm pleased to be forewarned of the danger.
:)
Please Visit "The Spotted Dog" for  Personalized Doggie signatures and graphics.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourdogs/start

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:47:32 am »
Yes, you're welcome. Also, if it has been a very hot and dry summer, it may be a good idea to avoid the pond with the dogs. (counter-intuitive, I know) It is the heat and dry weather that stresses the cyanobacteria and causes them to produce the toxins. The scary thing is that cylindorspermo sis, one of the varieties, doesn't produce a scum. So, there can be anatoxin in the water and you wouldn't know it. But, like I said, only under stressful conditions.

There is lots of information about this at the CDC's website:

http://www.cdc.gov/hab/cyanobacteria/facts.htm

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:01:37 am »
 ;D

Thanks for posting that i have 2 water dogs and they love any kind of water they can get ther 4 legs in! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:23:01 pm »
When you said "Pond scum", I thought this might be another nasty neighbour story.   :D :P

Thanks for the info!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:04:21 pm »
Thanks for the info ;D

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »
(Responding so I can bump this)

You're all very welcome. I'm not usually one to um...hype things and create fear, but this is a very real thing and not very much has been done in the way of public education. I think that the state of Minnesota has a public eduacation campaign out there specifically aimed at dog owners, but not very many others. So far, we've had a really wet spring, so hopefully it won't dry out. That seems to be a big issue with the creation of the toxins.

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 11:54:41 pm »
Luckily I have no pond scum in my non-existant pond.  :D

Thanks for the info, babe!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 12:13:22 am »
hahaha...well, SOME of us can take our dogs other places.  ;) ;) ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:53:09 am »
What about toliet water???? Roisie has taken to swimming with both feet in the toliet ::)...lol

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:52:49 pm »
Hey, I just thought I'd bump this again. Holly posted it in another thread, but it seems like the link to the CDC's website could be helpful. We've got new people since I originially posted this, so...here ya go!

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:01:59 pm »
And another bump since the topic has come back up!!! :)

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 12:01:37 am »
Gee, thanks Holly. ::)

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 12:29:34 am »
This is very good information... thanks, Nicole! :)

We have a koi pond and very recently, our pump broke. With it being hot as hizzeck here in GA right now, of course our dogs are tempted to dip their tongues in!  We do not have scum on it, but nevertheless we are getting the pump replaced just as soon as our "economic stimulus" comes to us, LOL! :)

Our dogs haven't yet dared to jump in...but I do remember hearing something about this in Athens before we lived in Comer and HAD any such pond.

Again, thanks! :)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 03:59:10 am »
:) You are very welcome.