Author Topic: Is it just me???  (Read 2086 times)

k2campbell

Is it just me???
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:16:51 am »
Or do any of you that feed your dogs raw uncooked bones notice how pearly white your dogs teeth are? 

I can't remember who exactly recommended raw uncooked bones to me on BPO (maybe it was Babs?) but my goodness!  Kate's teeth are so white, it is amazing! ;D

Just had to share that tid-bit.  Kate will always get raw uncooked bones for treats! ;)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:52:01 am »
We've been giving Gretchen raw bones too and now that you mention it she does have pearly whites. Wonder why?
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:51:48 am »
Raw bones are nature's toothbrush for dogs.  Be aware, even though the part you see is white and pretty, since they are only chewing recreational bones they probably aren't cleaning under the gums.  Teeth can look pretty and still be decaying where you can't see.  To truly reap the benefits a dog needs to be biting THROUGH meat and bone, like a chicken quarter.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:10:35 am »
Raw bones are nature's toothbrush for dogs.  Be aware, even though the part you see is white and pretty, since they are only chewing recreational bones they probably aren't cleaning under the gums.  Teeth can look pretty and still be decaying where you can't see.  To truly reap the benefits a dog needs to be biting THROUGH meat and bone, like a chicken quarter.

Thanks for the tip GreatDanz, I'm not too familiar with raw bones, quite new to me.  We do give Kate chicken necks too, would those also help to clean?  We also brush her teeth (although I'm not quite sure if that helps very much)... 

I'm not sure if the store has chicken quarters, but they have tonnes of stuff (so hopefully they'd have them). Next time we'll grab some different things to try out.  Any other suggestions?  Appreciate your advice! ;)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:10:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip GreatDanz, I'm not too familiar with raw bones, quite new to me.  We do give Kate chicken necks too, would those also help to clean?  We also brush her teeth (although I'm not quite sure if that helps very much)... 

I'm not sure if the store has chicken quarters, but they have tonnes of stuff (so hopefully they'd have them). Next time we'll grab some different things to try out.  Any other suggestions?  Appreciate your advice! ;)

Gosh, I'll feed anything with a raw bone that Mickey will eat (Java wont eat bones >:( ) Ribs are good (the big country pork kind), pork chops, turkey necks and legs, chicken backs, chicken legs (make sure they chew them if it's a bigger dog).  I pretty much grab whatever is on sale. 

I don't feed my dogs kibble, so I usually buy in bulk which can help with the cost.

-Ericka
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:05:18 am »
Gosh, I'll feed anything with a raw bone that Mickey will eat (Java wont eat bones >:( ) Ribs are good (the big country pork kind), pork chops, turkey necks and legs, chicken backs, chicken legs (make sure they chew them if it's a bigger dog).  I pretty much grab whatever is on sale. 

I don't feed my dogs kibble, so I usually buy in bulk which can help with the cost.

-Ericka

Ericka - thanks for all the great tips, appreciate it! ;)

Offline fatfutures

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 07:31:36 am »
Ericka,

Have you got any suggestions to help me get my baby to CHEW his meaties? Instead of crunch 'em once or twice and then swallow them? Right now all they are getting are chicken leg quarters and pork neckbones. The pork he really works on, chews them up quite well. But, the chicken... well it's like I said... crunch, crunch... GULP!

Thanks,
Michelle

Oh and PS... I too have noticed that Ike's teath are getting whiter. And he's only been on raw for a little over two weeks.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 07:37:06 am »
Are the quarters that you're feeding on the small side? You could try finding bigger quarters or buying fryers and feeding them bigger pieces.  It also might help to hold the quarters while they eat and 'teach' them to chew.

Try turkey necks, the last batch I had were as big as my forearm.
-Ericka