Author Topic: Chewing toys on me  (Read 2043 times)

Offline KhubiLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Chewing toys on me
« on: April 21, 2006, 01:33:36 am »
My 14mo old Great Dane loves to chew on squeaky and plush toys right against me, whether I'm sitting up or standing.  This leads to him accidentally pinching me with his teeth, and that hurts!!  We have tried no, off, etc, but he is extremely persistent.  We used to use a spray bottle for discipline, but this seems to be the only bad habit we have issues with at home...so we have slacked on it a bit.  We walk and play everyday, so I believe he's getting plenty of attention/stimulation/exercise.  Any advice??  Thanks :)
Izabel - Kitty
Khubilai Khan - Great Dane

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
Re: Chewing toys on me
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:22:46 am »
That's interesting. My dogs don't chew ON me per say, but they try to get me to hold their toys while they chomp on them...and I'm a sucker and do it sometimes. The will chomp and drop it, look at me with sad eyes, pick it up, look at me sad again, drop it, pick it up...you get the picture. Eventually I am like "Fine, you pansy, I'll hold your bone so you can chew it"

I'm such a sucker.

Good luck in breaking him of his habit!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:23:44 am »
Tealk likes to chew his toys on me or he will put them on the coffee table and chew them. ::)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline KhubiLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:50:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  I've tried several things this weekend.  Moving his mouth (4 or 5 times before he gets it) off of my leg and to the couch, and telling him how good he is and playing with him when he decides not to chew his toys on me has shown a glimmer of hope.  I think it will just take me being consistent and persistent!
Izabel - Kitty
Khubilai Khan - Great Dane