Author Topic: What do you use for walks?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
What do you use for walks?
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:06:03 am »
One of my favorite things to do with my girls is go for a walk. But it's fun for me especially when they aren't dragging me down the sidewalk at the end of the leash. Yes, I have trained them not to pull, but they both require pinch collars to keep them under control. What does everyone else use for the large breed dogs? I would love it if someday my girls would learn to walk nicely on the leash without a pinch collar, but for now, that's not going to happen. And for those of you with more than one dog, do you take them for walks together using separate leashes, or the couplers that I have seen? Just curious!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: What do you use for walks?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:42:07 am »
I use a Gentle Leader with Dazy.  She walks so nicely right by my side with it on.  And really, she doesn't mind wearing it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:06:14 am »
I walk Zoey with either a pinch collar or a buckle collar.

I prefer to use a pinch collar because it is safe and Zoey is much less likely to pull on a pinch collar. Since I don't weigh much more than Zoey, it is important to me to have the security of a pinch collar; I am embarrased to admit it, but Zoey is stronger than me  :o

Sometimes I will take Zoey out with just a buckle collar. I would never consider a choke collar and I am not a big fan of gentle leaders either (though I do support gentle leaders for other people)
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:31:36 am »
In the past I've used a no-pull harness for Keiko.  When I started working with her to get her to stop pulling so I could get her into therapy work, I used a pinch collar.  Now I normally walk her with just a buckle collar unless we are in a new exciting place, then I have to bring back out the pinch collar.

Gunther has only ever needed a buckle collar, although lately he has been a bit of a pain, so I may need to get him a pinch collar too.

I use a coupler for them, which works surprisingly well (better than individually on a leash), when we go to the beach. I also use a retractable leash for the beach. That way, the coupler and leash I can attach around my waist and I don't have to carry anything extra.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:04:19 pm »
We actually use walking harnesses, but I get pulled down the street, the girls weigh more than me when they are together and separately they weigh over half of what I weigh. Brandon does not have a problem with them and he uses a dual leash.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »
I use pinch and blockydog collars... Chara is totally on blocky dog collar and zero he doesnt have one yet, soon to be though...but he may remain on both
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:39:56 pm »
I use pinch and blockydog collars... Chara is totally on blocky dog collar and zero he doesnt have one yet, soon to be though...but he may remain on both

What is a blockydog collar?  I'm not familiar with that.

Offline KhubiLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:35:22 pm »
We use a pinch collar, and Khubilai walks perfectly with it (unless he's approaching playgroup :)).  We started out with a gentle leader, but he would just pull right through it.  He outweighs me by a bunch, so the pinch collar is a life saver!!
Izabel - Kitty
Khubilai Khan - Great Dane

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 11:40:41 pm »
I use a flat leather collar on her daily and for short walks.  For long walks I use a choke collar.  I had to buy one recently because she was getting too big for her britches on walks.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 11:49:22 pm »
Hey Babs, do you have a picture of Chara w/ her collar on? I love those collars, I bet she looks great with it!

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 11:51:59 pm »

It is hard to see with all her fur LOL

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 11:53:01 pm »
http://www.blockydogs.com/styles.htm

I use the dual grip 2" wide but she has regular ones too
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:54:33 pm by BabsT »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 11:57:12 pm »
It is hard to see with all her fur LOL

What a head!!! And in pink nonetheless..T hat looks great on her.

What we use for walks...
Depends on where we are going, for in petsmart, or where there will be lots of distractions we tend to use the prong collar lately.   For around the yard, a normal wide collar.  And for long walks on wooded paths, or through the neighborhood, etc we use a harness.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 11:58:19 pm »
Chara is soo beautiful!!! 

Lacey gets a GL and a harness for long walks like hikes because she's good at slipping out of things.  She gets a regular collar for short walks.  Kali gets the choke chain when she's with my brother and the GL with me and my mom out in public.  She also is usually on a regular collar for short walks.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 10:32:06 am »
we use a haltie with cooper.

Ever since his puppy classes started, everytime we put it on he goes into "training mode" and is very good. He is a slow walker though... likes to lag behing. But he doesn't sniff or smell anything!! He's a really good walker, and the haltie helps A LOT!
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc