Author Topic: 6 mos.bronze landseer newf in Louisiana needs rescue!  (Read 13169 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
6 mos.bronze landseer newf in Louisiana needs rescue!
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:08:34 pm »
I just got this email:

Can anyone help a 6 mo old Newf bronze and white landseer puppy?
She is utd on vacs, on hw prev but needs to be spayed.

I'm waiting on more info., but wanted to put the word out in case anyone can help.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 6 mos.bronze landseer newf in Louisiana needs rescue!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:35:27 pm »
Here's the info.:

She is an owner giveup.  She is still with the owners.  I told them that they need to make a donation to a rescue that takes her.  She is sending pics and contacting me again on Tuesday.

She is safe.  They no longer want her because they don't have time for her.  They realize that they should never have gotten her.  She is from a breeder in Colorado.

Can anyone help? I can help with temporary foster and transportation .

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:40:46 pm »
We're looking for a girl newf, already have 2 male dogs and melissa wants to balance out the testerone here a little better.   Please pm us if you hear anything else, or I could also help with transport if they decide on another home within our side of louisiana.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:42:23 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:42:38 pm »
excellent! I'll send you the pictures when I get them. Where are you again?

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:43:37 pm »
Bay Minette, AL.. that is about 30 minutes north of Mobile, about 3 hours east of New Orleans.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:16:39 am »
Melissa needs a little girl ;)!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 02:01:08 am »
sounds like destiny to me!! I have no problem driving her out to your place. I'll even bring Rocko to meet your crew!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 03:36:00 am »
Just double-checking, 'cause I know they will ask...

I know Mowgli is neutered because he was a rescue dog. Is Bava? This girl will almost certainly have to be spayed either before she comes to you or immediately afterwars. You're cool with that, right?

Jeanne

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:51:32 am »
Kali was spayed at six and a half months and she's been fine.  Our vet recommends between 6-9 months cause otherwise you chance them having the first heat which increases risks of later problems and problems during surgery.  Plus they're easier to move when they're smaller so they have less chance of injury being lifted on and off the table.  I want to see pics!!!!!!!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 05:07:23 am »
Breed mowgli?... <Shudder!!> sorry Mel, that made me laugh out loud.  You have to know Mowgli to get it, he has a bad underbite, and we really don't know what the heck he is a mix of, he is the energizer bunny though, and never EVER stops looking for some kind of trouble to get into.  He's a sweet and very very smart fellow, he just drinks too much coffee in the morning.

I have just come in from trying to pressure wash the concrete pad under the deck (deck is raised) and he kept dashing at the water stream thinking he wanted to bite it. That probably would have cut his tongue if he had managed to do it.  I put him up on the deck to supervise until I finished, then he can inspect my work to make sure I did a decent job.  Sorry for my offtopic rambling, I just got tickled at what Melissa said.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 05:10:09 am by brandon »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 11:28:42 am »
Great! sounds like they'll have her spayed first and include that in the adoption fee. I'll know more on Tuesday when I get the pictures. I hope this works out!! I can't wait - and it's such a great excuse to finally meet some fellow BPO-ers face to face!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Louisiana Landseer - updated with pictures!!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 11:39:03 pm »
Here are the pictures. They are not that good, but she looks quite skinny. The "owner" is in a big rush to get her out of there, which isn't a big problem 'cause I'm so close, but the inn is quite full at the moment and I'm very afraid if she comes to stay here for any amount of time I will fall hopelessly in love and will have to get myself a newf immediately following my trip to take her to Brandon & Melissa in Alabama!

Anyway, still interested, guys? I put a call into her current owner to get more info. and will PM you that info. as well so you can call her and ask any questions you may have. This is being handled, more or less, as a private adoption between mutual parties so there has been no discussion of any adoption fee apart from the cost of the spay.

Jeanne

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 12:10:47 am »
What a cute girl.  I hope this works out for her.  Why do people get dogs that they can't keep?  I just wonder what they were thinking.  I know people make mistakes or things come up, but still....  :-\
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 12:17:44 am »
Absolutely! Melissa is fawning over.. Ohhh.. she is so cute, etc etc.. She does look a little skinny, but maybe it is just a growth phase, as she is definetly in that homely gangly stage.

Now who would do the spay, I would be interested in adding a gastopexy to the spay if we have it done, if they can do that at 6 months.  Only makes sense since they are in there already :)  If you talk to them would you find out if she's been socialized any with other dogs?  I can't imagine a dog-agressive 6-month old newf, but it makes it a lot easier to deal with if you know it beforehand :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 12:27:32 am »
I just talked to Tiffany. She is 100% housebroken!! has had all her shots (up to 6 mos.), and they had started her on puppy classes so she has been around other dogs with no problems. They had evacuated to Denver after Hurricane Katrina where they purchased her (I forgot to ask her name), but now her daughter is starting to act afraid of the dog, even though the puppy just lays there and is not aggressive at all. Sounds like the child has some post traumatic stress since moving back to New Orleans. It's not uncommon there.

Anyway, let me look at my schedule next week to see when I have a day off. I'm pretty sure I have Friday and Saturday off and maybe we can bring her to you. I think since this is a pretty open adoption you can have her spayed by your vet. They have her papers and pedigree, too.

Jeanne