Author Topic: Uh-oh! Big trouble  (Read 9135 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Uh-oh! Big trouble
« on: April 23, 2006, 02:49:06 am »
Ok, this could be really bad and I need all your advice and expertise. This morning I was out walking Sadie and it was rainy and gross. We were going into my back door when the lady two doors down lets the demon dogs out - no leashes. I open the door to let Sadie in and my little Maggie runs out the door. Of course, little demon chihuahua (sorry to those who have nice ones, I KNOW it's not the breed,believe me so please don't take offense) is on Maggie immediately. I was screaming at him and was back down the stairs in seconds. Unfortunately so was Sadie. Demon dogs mother is just WATCHING her dog attack my cat.  Sadie and Maggie are attached at the hip so she was understandably protective. She got in the middle of things as I was trying to pull the little sh*thead off my cat and grabbed the little guy by the scruff of the neck. She didn't shake him or anything, she just picked him up and  snarled at him. I immediately grabbed Maggie who jumped out of my arms and booked it upstairs and into the house. I then grabbed Sadie's leash. She had already let go of the dog and he was snarling and snapping at her. His 'mother' is yelling at me that she's going to call the cops because I have no right to put my hands on her dog ??? >:( >:( I told her to go right ahead and marched into my house. It took almost an hour to coax Maggie out from under the couch. She had a couple of puncture wounds on her neck. It didn't look bad but I took her to the vet hospital anyway, just to be safe. I took Sadie as well just in case. God knows whether or not she keeps those dogs up to date on shots. The vet said she should be ok, the cuts on her neck didn't require stitches or anything and she's current on shots so she should be ok. Sadie was fine except for a tiny scratch on her face. Right near her eye. God help them if that dog had done serious damage to either one of them.

Ok I hit some button and posted this before it was done. When you're mad and shaking apparently reflexes slide.

Come home and the president of the Homeowner's Association, also a resident, greets us at the car and says that this little A-hole's owner called and filed a complaint and she wasn't sure whether they were going to take action but she needed my side of the story. I told her what happened and that the dog was not on a leash. But she told me that since Sadie is a giant breed and that she is living here under a "gentleman's agreement" that she cannot cause any trouble there may be consequences. She was just defending her family. and she didn't even DO anything to him. She just picked him up. I'm so mad and scared that they'll do something to take Sadie from me. Anyone have any advice. Both animals (mine) were treated by a vet following this incident, but no one else saw it happen. My neighbor on the other side said he'd back me up in any way he can because he knows that their dog is unleashed. But I need to know my rights I guess. Any insight? advice? I hope it comes to nothing, but I have a bad feeling about this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:54:18 am by Mom2Sadie »
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Uh-oh! Big trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:04:31 am »
OMG!  What a horrible situation.  First, I would hand the vet bill over to your neighbor.  Secondly, I would file a counter complaint against your neighbor for having a dog off it's leash, it trespassing on your property and it attacking your cat.

See how she likes that.  It is unfortunate that there could be problems b/c of Sadie, but maybe if you counter complain, the both of you can agree to let the complaints go.  If things get worse, maybe you should call the police as well and file a vicious dog report as well as a complaint on off leash dogs (and if the dog has no collar, you can complain on no proof of licensing)

That's all I can think of.  I suggest you do this if things escalate for you. At least you might get some validatio this way.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 03:07:59 am »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's definately the mojo's owners fault for not having her dog on a leash. I hate stupid neighbors! I'm sorry I don't have any advice I just want to let you know that we're here for you. Hopefully nothing will come of it. I don't know how they can take Sadie. Was she still on the leash when it happened? Was there marks on the other dog? I would send her the vet bill for poor Maggie.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:22:14 am »
Sadie you're a good girl!
Who's property did this occur on, I think that would make a lot of difference.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 03:24:32 am »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's definately the mojo's owners fault for not having her dog on a leash. I hate stupid neighbors! I'm sorry I don't have any advice I just want to let you know that we're here for you. Hopefully nothing will come of it. I don't know how they can take Sadie. Was she still on the leash when it happened? Was there marks on the other dog? I would send her the vet bill for poor Maggie.

Sadie was still on the leash when it happened but I had dropped it - bad call on my part but I panicked. There were no marks on the other dog as far as I could tell, and the president of the Homeowner's association didnt say anything about him having sustained any injuries. The problem is we were the only two people who saw it, so it's my word against theirs.

Zoocrew, do you think I should call the police and file a report immediately or should I wait to see if it escalates? I'm thinking I should probably do it now to cover my butt, but I don't know. He has a collar but I didn't see any tags attached and this is the second time he's attacked one of my animals. He bit Sadie on the nose about a month ago. Can I send them the bill even when I can't prove what happened?

My next door neighbor said he'll go to bat for Sadie in any way he can if necessary. Sadie has breakfast with his mother almost every morning that it's nice out, she sits on the porch with her. His mom has dementia and it lights up her day to hang with Sadie. He seems to think most of the complex would back Sadie up and complain against the other dog. Most of the dogs who live here have had an altercation with him so that's one positive for us. His girlfriend is coming by later, she's a lawyer so hopefully she'll have some advice. Till then, I'm not sure what to do. I don't know, I'm just panicking because she did grab him and pick him up. And you all know how this goes, the bigger dog is always the bad guy. To be honest, I am amazed that she didn't go for the throat and really hurt him. Grateful as heck though. Poor Sadie, she was only defending Maggie.  :(
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 03:33:44 am »
Sadie you're a good girl!
Who's property did this occur on, I think that would make a lot of difference.

Thank you, I think she did good too, but I can't admit that to anyone but you guys. I think she thinks I'm upset with HER because she can tell I'm upset. She keeps pacing around the house.

I guess it happened on my property. There aren't clear lines, and technically we all share the land as part of the Homeowner's Association. But it was directly outside my home, right in front of my back porch.

I'm so mad at myself for not listening to you all and filing a complaint the last time we had a run in with them. If I had done that, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. I would already have a record of this dog's behavior.  :-\
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 03:33:56 am »
you definitely need to file a counter-complaint against the neighbor. It sounds like this happened on your property, right? She is definitely in the wrong. Most towns have a leash law and hers was not on leash. Yours was. She has absolutely no recourse. And, since this is the second time her dog has attacked yours and left physical evidence, I would definitely file a complaint with the police right away. Sounds like the homeowner's association isn't going to force her to be responsible so someone has to.

Good Luck,
Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 03:35:27 am »
I would have the HOA President show you the bylaws for the HOA and tell them you are showing them to your lawyer.  If there is nothing in writing stating the size of the dog allowed in the complex area but there is about leash restraint and tags then you are in the clear.  Especially since you have a vet bill and the other neighbor doesn't and this is a reoccuring theme with her dog.  But definitely seek a lawyer's advice and then slap the lawyer's bill and the vet bill on your neighbor.  Then tell them next time it will be a lawsuit for pain, suffering, and negligence.  I would also grab the digital camera and start taking pics of her dog off leash and outside.  At some point you will get pics of her dog attacking another dog and voila proof. 

Kat 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:37:09 am »
You should definitely file the vicious dog complaint now.  The dog is out of control.  This is the second time with your animals and probably it's happened to other people.  If you do have problems, you and Sadie and your kitties are welcome to stay with us at any time.  I'm sure Rich could help you out too.  If you need references for Sadie we'll be more than happy to give our statements.

Also advise animal control to go throughout the complex and get more ammo from other residents.  Just remember we're here for you and a convenient hiding spot for Sadie if it comes to it.  Give Sadie lots of praise for her protecting her kitty.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 03:49:14 am »
This has happened on more than one occasion?  Then yes,I would definitely file a complaint with animal control.  You can give her the vet bill.  Both she and you know it happened.  If you can come to an agreement, tell her that if she pays the vet bill you will drop the vicious dog complaint.  If not, file the complaint and she may be forced to pay your bill (not sure how that works, I know for serious injuries the other owner is often forced to pay)

I know you hate to do this since it is one of your neighbors and you have to deal with them on a regular basis, but if this is a recurring problem, then something needs to be done.

I would also take pics of your cat's puncture wounds and Sadie's scratch by her eye as evidence.  It may come in handy for the future.  Everyone on here has some great advice.  Talk to your neighbor's girlfriend too and see what she thinks. Hopefully she can understand the ongoing problem this dog is.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:06:22 am »
Thank you all for your support. I'm glad there was somewhere to ask these questions right after it happened. My dad is on his way over, he called the police for me. Just so I'm not here alone in case the neighbors freak when they see a cop car. He thinks it might be time to think about selling the house and looking for something not in an HOA situation. I think I agree.

I have the HOA agreement I signed when I bought the house. It clearly states all dogs MUST be on a leash at ALL times. It also states though, that dogs may not be over 40 pounds unless they are registered with the association and approved at the HOA's discretion. Sadie is registered but when they agreed that I could have her they warned me that if anything happened with her they could take the registration away. I am hoping this will just go away, but I think it has the potential to get ugly.

My parents said that if it gets too bad, Sadie and the kitties and I can come home while the house sits on the market. Hopefully it won't come to that. Thank you for saying that though Erin, you are a total sweetheart. It might not be a bad idea to start compiling references for her though. I guess I'll see what the police say. I was hoping to wait another year before selling but I don't know now. I did call a couple neighbors with dogs to give them the heads up that someone might be talking to them. Everyone was supportive of Sadie. They all know my dog and they know the other dog too. I don't know, I'll keep you all posted.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:14:57 am »
No problem just remember the offer will always stand.  I think you're making the right choice with selling.  Keep us updated and I think it may be wise to stay with your parents if they don't take it well.  Give Sadie lots of hugs and drools from Kali. And Rich and your neighbor would be awesome references I'm sure.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 05:43:34 am »
Shawna, I am sorry that this is happening to you.

I think you did the absolute right thing taking your furkids to the vet and calling the police. Obviously this woman has no concept of right and wrong and is trying to profit from HER mistake, which is SO uncool. Also, make sure you take pictures of all of their wounds (including pulling back the fur to show them), and hold on to that vet receipt. That way you have concrete evidence if anything happens.

I just double checked, and Lowell does have a leash law, so there is no question that that mojo was illegally off leash. And if you can get your neighbors to say officially that they have seen the mojo be aggressive in the past, it makes the owner even more negligent.

As far as your homeowners association goes, I would not do anything until they try and do anything. Also, what is the exact wording on the agreement? It makes a difference. And what is the exact wording on your deed? I doubt that your backyard is communal property - it may be a shared space, but I suspect that you officially own it, which adds tresspassing to the list of issues.
RIP former BPO

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 06:38:51 am »
If this DOES get ugly, make sure you print out this thread.  As you posted just after it happend, the facts of what happened were still very clear in your mind.  I am glad to hear you got right on it with the police.  As I was reading the thread I was thinking "Don't wait!  Contact the police NOW!"  You woudn't want to wait and make it look like you were going to the police later as a result of her getting crappy.  You are doing it right away because you aren't in the wrong!  And I agree with photos...of your animals wounds AND if you can get a pic of the demon-dog without his leash/tie-out.  Gotta CYA!!  Keep us updated and good luck!
Jacquie 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

doggylover

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 07:42:38 am »
This is so predictable.  Badger has been bit over and over again by little sh*head dogs whose owners think their poo doesn't stink.  I swear the next time it happens, I'm gonna grab the dog by the furry pink collar and huff it at it's owner.  I had a small dog once and she was a perfect lady, so there is no excuse for this. 
I agree with everyone here.  Unfortunately for you, I think you need to go on the offense big time, that may be the only way to get her to back down.  If you appear to be showing your belly, she sounds like she'll rip into you.   ;)
Ronda