Author Topic: why aren't you suppose to shave a Newf?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
why aren't you suppose to shave a Newf?
« on: April 23, 2006, 09:16:47 am »
I'm going backpacking for three weeks this summer and I worry about Cooper overheating with all that hair.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:47:38 am by maggieb »
Maggie

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: why aren't you suppose to shave a Newf?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:35:13 am »
Good question! I've never heard that you shouldn't either! Should you not shave a Saint Bernard either? The vet told us to leave at least an inch of fur on her though to prevent sun burn. Is there anything else to be concerned about?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:36:50 am »
From what I've heard it damages their coat but I'm not sure how true that is.  The overcoat is supposed to reflect most the water and sunrays away from the undercoat and shaving supposedly can cause more of a tendency to overheat.  One thing to try is to pull out most of the undercoat.  I think it was Brandon that mentioned there was an undercoat thinner rake you can get.  We're going to try that with Kali cause she tends to get hot too.  But Drake gets shaved and his dad hasn't mentioned any ill effects.

I'm not sure about Saints though, I don't think they tend to have problems with it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:38:33 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

mjjensen

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:43:23 am »
  I was always told that the thick coat actually insulates them from the heat and that shaving can cause heat regulation problems as well as sun burn. Living in Maine heat really isn't a big problem so I never really questioned what I'd been told. I'd be interested to hear from people who have their Newfs in warmer climates.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 11:13:57 am »
We live in a very warm climate, and use the mat king to strip out the undercoat, it's like the mars coat king but with a rubber handle instead of wood, and 1/2 the cost.  We do this so his skin can breathe to avoid hotspots, etc.

http://www.groomersmall.com/mat_kings.htm

No clue on shaving though. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:14:44 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:24:08 am »
I've always been against shaving dogs.  Some people swear by it, but I've always been told their coat keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Instead of going for a full shave, you could see if they could thin out his coat a little.  I'm not sure how this is done, but the coat looks the same, just not as heavy.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:00:21 pm »
Shaving a Newfs coat can lead to the undercoat growing back thicker. As they are, the Newfs coat protects them from the heat and the cold, the guard hairs insulate them from the heat. I think thinning out the undercoat is the way to go and during the hike if there is access to water I'm sure that's where he'll spend most of his time to stay cool. Maybe carry along a spray bottle to keep him misted if it gets to hot with no water for him to wade in. I'm in Newfondland so the issue of shaving Angus will never have to be considered! :D

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:41:21 pm »
I'm in Newfondland so the issue of shaving Angus will never have to be considered! :D

Well how neat is that!   ;D
Ok...so how many Newfs do you actually see in Newfoundland??
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 07:18:18 pm »
I'm in Newfondland so the issue of shaving Angus will never have to be considered! :D

Well how neat is that!   ;D
Ok...so how many Newfs do you actually see in Newfoundland??

I think I have mentioned before that Newfs here were a bit rare to see!! The most popular breeds from what I see are  the beagle, the labrador retriever and the golden retriever. HOWEVER, the low number of Newfs is changing!!!! Angus was in obedience training with 3 Newfs the same age as him. I am seeing more and more all the time. Besides Angus there are 3 others that frequent the dogpark I got to (though we are never there the same time) and just yesterday (the sun came out for a few minutes) we went for a walk at one of the parks and I seen 4 Newfs out enjoying the weather and when we got home I seen another walking up the street I live on. I no longer find it strange seeing a Newf here. They are making a serious comeback on the Island.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 07:22:36 pm »
What a beautiful place that must be to live.  Not to mention the weather has to be perfect for your Newf! (I am down south in East Tennessee...Ku ma lives on the air vent!  ;D  )
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 08:24:26 pm »
When you alter your newf it takes a year for the crappy spay nueter coat to come in, for many people it is a nightmare to care for and shaving the undercarriage and the inner thighs and privates are much easier to care for,
Many double coated show people will shave a youngster down to encourage thicker growth, this is a contraversial issue and one, that, you as the owner must decide for yourself why you would do that.
i do shave down my oldsters as the summer heat is very hard on them, many times when they hit ten years of age, bathing them every four to six weeks is uncomfortable for them and shaving them is much easier on their old bodies.
shaving doenst have to be that short either.
i am a groomer and discourage the shaving down very short on young dogs, but, if someone cannot properly care for the coat,m wich is very high maintenance than i tell them the other option wich is clipping them down.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:28:11 pm »
I've never clipped Cabeza but I'm seriously considering it this year. I am away at school, far from the shores of Lake Michigan where we usually spend most of our summers. Last summer, he seemed SO HOT here.

I've asked a million people about this issue, and gotten a million different answers. I've always heard "the coat insulates them from the heat" but being a scientist, I just don't get it. (I'm not really a scientist, but it just doesn't compute for me) I mean, Newfs evolved in very cold areas,swimming in arctic water...why in heaven's name would there be any reason for a coat to keep them cool? I just don't get it. It just seems to defy the laws of physics for me. I totally get the sunburn thing, but..the coat keeping them cool...hmm...

In any case, I think that if I do do it, it will be more of a "lamb" cut or a "puppy" cut...much like Newflover gives Drake. Of course, I'm going to get out as much of his undercoat as I can before I do it and see how he does.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:37:27 pm »
I am wondering the same thing about Pyrs.  Binky is miserable as soon as the temp goes above 50 degrees and even though we're in Maine, I am hoping that most of the summer will be warmer than that! :)  I have read that the coats insulates, protects from the sun, etc. but spoke to my breeder and she clips some of her Pyrs for the summer.  Whne we got Binky last summer, two of the breeder's dogs were clipped and they looked adorable and seemed fine.  I have since seen pictures and their coats look normal to me.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

mjjensen

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 10:50:12 pm »
I am wondering the same thing about Pyrs.  Binky is miserable as soon as the temp goes above 50 degrees and even though we're in Maine, I am hoping that most of the summer will be warmer than that! :)  I have read that the coats insulates, protects from the sun, etc. but spoke to my breeder and she clips some of her Pyrs for the summer.  Whne we got Binky last summer, two of the breeder's dogs were clipped and they looked adorable and seemed fine.  I have since seen pictures and their coats look normal to me.
Your're from Maine? I didn't realize there were any other Mainers here besides my3dogs ,ricky and myself.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 10:52:23 pm »
Well, i didn't read what others said, so they may have said this already but the fact is it looks dumb, along with many other things. the over-coat is what protects the dog from the water, and the sun. so, you may have more problems on your trip than over heating. if he decides to jump in the lake, it might take him forever to dry, and may even get cold. (is he a wimp?) he may get sunburned, so get a bottle of doggie sun screen to carry with you (they sell them at the vendors at shows and petsmart) if you show your dog, you should NOT shave the dog. it damages the coat, and it may grow back curlier, or it may have random white hairs were there shouldn't be white. chalk may help, but that is technecally (SP) illegal, and it takes forever.

i know there are more, but i can't think of them right now. i shaved Sammie a couple years ago, but he looked retarded, and it wasn't really worth it for me. then again, Sam, is only half newf, so it might look a little better on a full newf.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007