Author Topic: Puppy Mouthing Concern?  (Read 3124 times)

mjjensen

Puppy Mouthing Concern?
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:06:26 pm »
 A few weeks ago Duncan started taking my hand or arm in his mouth and trying to pull me toward the door whenever he wanted to go out. At first I thought he was being really smart and that it was cute in a "Lassie" sort of way (for those of you that are old enough to remember Lassie...I'm really dating myself) Kind of a tug, tug, quick Timmy's fallen in the well thing. Anyway he isn't rough about it, although those sharp little puppy teeth on bare skin can be a little painful, so I didn't try to stop him from doing it. This weekend I noticed a couple of times when I was playing with all three pups together that Duncan would try to pull me away from Sam and Max. I don't know if this is a dominance thing or if it's some rescue instinct,like he thinks he's pulling me away from danger. My newf Molly would never put her mouth on anyone for any reason and it's never been an issue with Sam or Max so I'm not sure what I should do. I don't want to encourage a behavior that may cause problems in the future but, living on the coast and working on the water,I have also been thinking that water rescue trials which are popular here might be fun and if what Duncan is doing is a natural behavior then I don't want to discourage it. Any thoughts?

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Mouthing Concern?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:19:34 pm »
Hi,

Welcome to Newfie ownership. This topic comes up with every Newf puppie owner that Logs on.

It is instinctive it is necesary for water training. It still needs to be controlled and we are all trying to figure out how to control it!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:35:09 am »
I remember Lassie too! (Ohhh..do I want to admit that! LOL)
Anyway…I am going through the typical “puppy mouthing” with Kuma but she seems especially hard-headed about it.  I was very concerned but as Rich also mentioned, several people suggested that some of this might be inherited traits.  I mentioned this to my husband and we both immediately noticed that “most” of the time it’s not that puppy nipping as much as just “holding”.  (Not sure if that makes sense or not.) She will just put my arm in her mouth.  Sometimes its harder than it should be (I have bruises up and down my arm and I am sure co-workers think I an spousal abuse victim! LOL) but most of the time its not what I feel is mouthing or chewing. 

As Rich also mentioned…the frustration is trying to figure out the balance in it! 

PS- I always smile when I see Winslow's icon...that look is just to cute!  :)
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:05 am »
i'm still battling the "mouthing" with fumble as well, and he's nine months olD!  but as you said, ive realized that 90% of the time, when he "mouths" he's just grabbing onto me.. the way i figured this out is when he first started doing it he would get my hand or arm in is mouth and then not chomp down or bite, just take a hold of it!  but the trying to figure out how to control it is a little frustrating!  we've tried everything, giving him a toy to distract him, apple spray, everything.. i thought the spray would work, but fumble actually likes it! go figure!  so i'm right there with ya!  good luck!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:20:46 am »
<<he would get my hand or arm in is mouth and then not chomp down or bite, just take a hold of it!>>

Exactly how Kuma does!  Its always the hand or arm (Like I said...loads of bruises!) and she never bites into as much as just takes a hold.  Weird...
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:34:23 am »
Hi,

I chalk it up to they just like their people and don't want us to leave. If I give Winslow a NO loud enough he stops (for a while) He has 2 versions of the mouthing!!

1) when we are settled down and he just wants to hold a wrist or finger ( he like when we wrap a finger around his incisor and gently tug,) he alternates between licks and mouthing.

or

2) if we are playing and he can sometimes get a little too excited and start more nipping then mouthing. That is when he gets the NO or left alone until he calms down.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 03:34:58 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 04:58:26 am »
Hi,

I chalk it up to they just like their people and don't want us to leave. If I give Winslow a NO loud enough he stops (for a while) He has 2 versions of the mouthing!!

1) when we are settled down and he just wants to hold a wrist or finger ( he like when we wrap a finger around his incisor and gently tug,) he alternates between licks and mouthing.

or

2) if we are playing and he can sometimes get a little too excited and start more nipping then mouthing. That is when he gets the NO or left alone until he calms down.

Kali loves when we play with her teeth too.  Lacey also loves to grab hold of you and lead you places and she's an aussie so we have a rescue aussie and a newf that herds....we have identity issues galore don't we?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:41:32 am »
I think most dogs can learn context really well.  Training him not to mouth you (I don't think) would interfere with his water rescue training.  I would gently hold his mouth shut and say 'no bite' every time he does it inappropriatel y, you might also look into what kinds of mouthing are necessary for water rescue and start simultaneously teaching him where it is appropriate.  It's sort of (in my thinking) like teaching him he can't chew on your stuff, but he can chew on his toys. 
Ronda ;D