Author Topic: One strike against the dog park....updates on Kuma...  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
One strike against the dog park....updates on Kuma...
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:51:29 pm »
Updates on Kuma…

Ok…so to make a long story short, despite chicken, rice and oatmeal…she continued to have diarrhea throughout the week.  I was starting to get worried and I called our emergency clinic Friday night and they told me that they could give her something for the diarrhea- but would refer me to out vet on Monday.   :(

Really upset about this I called my breeder Saturday morning and after trying to go over everything,  she said it sounded as if she had picked up a parasite or something at some point.  Because she had a clean stool sample at 12 she figured it had been recently but I insisted I couldn’t think of anywhere she would have been to have picked up something. 

THEN…during the conversation I mentioned taking her TO THE DOG PARK and the breeder immediately stopped me and reminded me I went to A DOG PARK.  :-[ About 30 dogs and no one was checking for current vaccinations, etc.  So…its very possible she picked something up at the DOG PARK! This IS the only place she has been around other dogs or their stools...thats why we went.

She further suggested Kaopectate (Sp?) which really seemed to have helped and by Saturday night her stools were beginning to return to normal. (Keeping fingers crossed!) Yesterday she had normal stools all day and actually acted like she felt much better.

I wonder if she did just pick up something??  Anyway…not to further complicate things I also put her on the Canidae….so we will see. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
Re: One strike against the dog park....updates on Kuma...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:21:25 pm »
hello, there are parasites and ther eggs everywhere. even walking the pup around the block of your home you can get them. The dog park is a great place to pick up tons of stuff.  Heartgaurd plus and a couple of the othere heartworm meds have dewormers in them, so every month your dog is getting dewormed for the most commman ones...
good luck!
LA & Gang

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:00:27 am »
Awwwe,sorry to hear Kuma isn't feeling well.

I agree she could have picked something up from anywhere.  The dog park included.  In the 2+ years I've been going to the dog park, kennel cough has brokin out once, and a few cases of giardia have popped up as well.  The owners probably didn't even know their dog was sick.

Hope everything is getting back to normal for her.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 05:05:07 pm »
OH, Poor Kuma!  :(

How old is she again? I am so sorry she isn't feeling well. I hope she is back to her sweet self very soon.

Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:21:55 pm »
At our dog parks you can't get in w/out current vaccinations, they require that you show them proof yearly or your pass does not work, this does not fend agains Coccidia or Giardia which my girls have gotten. We still don't know if that is where the Giardia came from or if they got it while hiking. I ususally give Pepto to Nala for the runs. Hope she gets feeling better soon.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:12:24 pm »
Kuma was 4 months on the 16.

This park's website has a list of rules, aggresion and proof of vaccinations being on that list and yet nobody was there checking nor were the rules listed anywhere on site.  Having siad that I will say it is new and they are trying to get off the ground so I am hoping that is something they are working on. 

Kuma had a FABULOUS time, it was good for her to be around other dogs...but I have to say I am little gun shy about going anymore and I hate that.
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers