Author Topic: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol  (Read 10468 times)

Lyn

Re: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update.. I'm not too impressed!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 11:59:19 am »
Well.. just a little update. The Eagle Pack Fish and Oatmeal works great for Bubba. But the only local store I can get it from doesn't have any bags in stock and are no longer carrying it. >:( They are removed it from their stock list all together. :-\

What ticked me off is that I had no idea they were even remotely thinking of not stocking it. So here I am basically out of kibble and having to switch pretty much cold turkey to something else. >:(

I'm going to pick up the Fromm Salmon a la Veg.. I'm hoping since it's also salmon that it won't be too much of a shock to his system. I have enough Eagle Pack to mix maybe 2 meals. ARG!

Kiahpyr

Re: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 12:19:27 pm »
That sucks! I know how hard you worked on finding the right kibble. Have our paws crossed that the new food works.

Offline Pilgrim247

• Gnawer
  • Bellamy "Scarlett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 12:31:39 pm »
We eat Eagle Pack...Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Air Dried Peas, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (Organic), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Offline Pilgrim247

• Gnawer
  • Bellamy "Scarlett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 12:37:13 pm »
We order the eaglepack fish online from PetCO OR from Pet food direct.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 04:27:56 pm »
What about California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato formula? There are lots of stores listed on the site that sell it in your area. I checked all the ingredients I could and didn't see any that Bubba couldn't have. I've never tried any of California Natural's foods myself, but they're the same company that is connected with Innova, so maybe it would work?
Here's a link so you can see it for yourself. Hope you find a food that works!
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271326%27%5D
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 05:24:19 pm »
What about California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato formula?

I was going to suggest the same thing. I was researching sensitive tummy foods for zoey and california natural is supposed to be really good with sensitive stomachs, so maybe their fish & potato one would be good for bubba
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 06:28:20 pm »
Pilgrim247 (Welcome to BPO by the way ;D ), The Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon is actually the one I was feeding and had trouble finding.

Actually I forgot to update this post again.. I did find a store willing to keep the Eagle Pack in stock for me. Thank goodness because the Fromm didn't agree with Bubba at all!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:31:34 pm by Lyn »

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 11:54:18 am »
Hi .
I am a new retailer in the business of selling dog food.  I have ACANA dog food in my shop and they have a Salmon and Potato formula that I think might work for you.  Only not too sure it does have dried beet pulp(sugar removed) in it but it doesn't say how much. 
Good luck finding the right food.
check out the website:  www.championpe tfoods.com
TTYL
Dot
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 01:38:36 am »
I would not feed giant breed pups the fish only formula, many newf breeders are cautioning anyone with a pup to not feed the fish specific diet to young growing newfs, it is fine for the adults, over two years of age.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Lyn

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 05:20:11 am »
sarnewfie, I've heard the same thing regarding fish based foods and pups.. But it's the only kibble Bubba can eat and I've tried many different proteins with him. He has an insanely sensitive tummy. He's 18 months old now. We just tried California Natural chicken meal and rice with horrible results (watery bloody diarrhea). I may be able to add a very very small amount of the CN to the EP fish.. but probably not enough to do anything nutrient wise. Even just a 1/4 cup of the CN causes him to have loose stool, more than a 1/4 cup causes booty blowout.  :(

Lola is only 4 months old.. I'm mixing the California Natural in with the Eagle pack fish for her. I'm slowly increasing the amount of CN. I'm trying to get her up to half chicken, half fish. Would that be ok?

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 05:23:52 am »
have you tried any lamb and rice products yet?  Allergic to lamb?  Just an idea.... ???
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 09:16:51 am »
Sounds like my Tonka, she has IBD and is on a Duck and Potato Formula made by Pinnacle they also have Trout and Sweet Potato, here are the ingredients and the website:

www.breeders-choice.com

Pinnacle Canine
Allergen-Free Trout & Sweet Potato Dry Formula

Reaching New Heights in Pet Nutrition

Holistic Trout and Sweet Potato Formula
Stay-Fresh Package to Lock in Freshness
Grapeseed Oil for a Healthier Skin and Coat
Contains No Allergens Such as Corn, Wheat, Rice, Barley, Sorghum or Soy
Contains Organically Grown Quinoa
Formulated for Adults
Great taste your dog will LOVE!
It sounds like an entrée at a fine restaurant, fresh trout and delicious sweet potatoes. But these are also a fine and delicious source of nutrition and make Pinnacle an excellent choice for active adult dogs. Good nutrition is about variety, and the variety of protein sources in Pinnacle —the trout, the potatoes, plus toasted oats and the grain quinoa— means all essential amino acids are here. It also means that complex carbohydrates, essential for energy, come from a variety of sources as well.

For the right kind of fats, with Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids for healthy skin and a glowing coat, we’ve used both canola and grape seed oil. Making sure that all the nutritional elements are available for absorption is of the utmost importance, so chelated vitamins and probiotics play an important role in Pinnacle’s quality. Abundant antioxidants keep your dog’s system cleansed of toxins and free radicals. And the natural preservatives vitamins C and E, plus our oxygen barrier bag, guarantee the freshness of Pinnacle’s quality ingredients.

Feeding Directions
Your dog's nutritional requirements will vary according to age, breed, environment and activity levels. Feed adult dogs once per day or divide equal portions and feed twice per day. When switching to Pinnacle, gradually increase the amount of Pinnacle while decreasing the previous food over a 3 to 5 day period.

Feeding Directions Breed Size
Weight of Dog Amount

All Natural Ingredients
Plus Essential Vitamins & Minerals with Added Probiotics
Trout, Oatmeal, Toasted Oats, Herring Meal, Oat Flour, Canola Oil, Sweet Potato, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Seed, Lecithin, Grapeseed Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Quinoa, Rosemary, Sage, Papain, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacteriu m Bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Vitamin E, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

After trying many other foods we found out she was also allergic to Salmon and rice and that was on the list of things that was causing her flare ups. We have been on Pinnacle since Feb. 2006 and have had wonderful results, she did not care for the canned version within a few weeks so we substitute 1 red potato at every meal along with her kibble.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 12:30:59 am »
What happens is the development of bones and joints gets off kilter, sometimes pasterns are affected or the hocks turn bad, the food is a critical componant when a young growing dog.
did you think of trying raw meat?
the raw diets are wonderful.
i would only stick to advice given you by those who really know the giant breeds and know the growth problems that happen from dog foods that are not balanced enough.
lamb might be an option, but i would not bank on it, more and more dogs are allergic to lamb than people realize.
do you have a breeder who coaches you? or is this a rescue?
if you need some expert advice i can put you in touch with someone.
Photography by Christine

Lyn

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 03:34:51 am »
Sar, They are both byb dogs technically. Bubba's parents are health tested but Lola's are not. Someone bought her from a byb and had her 1 week.. then we brought her home at 10 weeks old. I get tons of help and info from here (thanks all  ;) ) and my vet. They are a few local breeders I could contact.. I have in the past and they were very helpful. I will definitely email them and get their take on Saints and nutrition.

The only reason I wanted to 'try' something else was due to cost issues. We had a pretty bit hit in the wallet recently. I took us off guard. It's tight but we have squeezed in the cost of the EP. So it's all good. ;)

The fish based kibble was recommended for Bubba by my vet when I refused to feed their vet formula junk. We had done testing galore and stool samples galore with no answer to why he's having stool issues. It was in a sense a last resort. I never thought it would work honestly but he firmed up pretty much instantly when I started feeding the EP. If the diarrhea goes on for more than 3-4 days Bubba starts dropping weight. With this last switch to CN he lost 7 pounds! It's some scary stuff.. Since being put back on the EG he's gained back 5 pounds.

Here are the list of foods we have tried.. I hope I don't miss any. :-\ They range from grocery store crap to high end holistic/premium in no particular order.

Science Diet large breed puppy - (Bubba was on this when we brought him home)
Solid Gold - Wolfcub, Wolfking, Mmillenia and hundenflocken.
Wellness - The Chicken one and the Lamb one.
Natural Balance - Duck and Potato and Venison and brown rice.
Purina ONE - Large breed puppy I believe.
Eukanuba - Large breed puppy
Pro Plan - Large breed puppy
Fromm - Salmon a la veg.
California Natural- Chicken meal and rice.
And currently the Eagle Pack, Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon.

So there's 15 different kibbles (I don't think I missed any) in Bubba's 18 months. Some he was on longer than others depending on how bad he reacted to them. So far like I said the Eagle Pack is the only one he can eat without booty blowout.  :-\

I'm tempted to try the Eagle Pack holistic Chicken one. I'm going to be picking that up next for Lola anyway once the California Natural runs out. The CN is just too rich even for her and she can eat anything. I might try adding a little of the EP chicken to Bubba's meals. I am done trying switch him completely to another food though but if can get him to eat a mixture of both without problems I'd be happy with that.

Luvmymal. I think I couldn't get Pinnacle here. Before we settled on the Eagle Pack I was looking at all the fish based foods available.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 03:39:23 am »
A few things, does she have irritable bowel syndrome? did your vet check specifically for that?
if she does have it, Boxers and GSD are famous for having that, the back to basic pork formula has been a miracle for many owners of these dogs.
pork is a easier digestable form of protein, it is gentle on the tummy to.
i would definatly try that.
switching foods so much is frustrating, but to, i would try to get a diagnosis, IBS is very common and unfortunatly often overlooked by many vets.
Photography by Christine