Author Topic: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol  (Read 10462 times)

Lyn

Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:45:04 am »
I'm still looking for a fish based kibble for Bubba and I'm having issues finding a good one. I need help! lol  ;)

It must not contain.. corn, wheat, soy, (due to allergies) stool hardeners like beet pulp or Menadione (synthetic vit K). Has to be all fish.. can't even have chicken fat.

I was going to go with the Fromm Salmon a la veg but it contains menadione. Apparently some companies are removing it from their lines so I just finished emailing Fromm to see if they are. I'm crossing my fingers that they are BUT if they don't I need to find something else.

Anyone have any suggestions? Please!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:02:14 pm by Lyn »

Kiahpyr

Re: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:49:24 am »
Have you tried Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish?

Let's try the link again. It's not working!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:57:29 am by Tajsa »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:56:41 am »
Solid Gold fish holistic blends might meet your needs. http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=6&code=163 It doesn't have any of the things you mentioned and fish is the only animal protein
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 09:04:40 am by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:03:42 am »
How about Timberwolf Organics - Ocean Blue?

Ingredients:
Low ash white fish meal, salmon, potatoes, sardine/mackerel/anchovy/tuna oils, kelp, alfalfa leaf, potassium chloride, amaranth, carrot, watercress, spinach, celery, parsley, fennel seed, blueberries, cranberries, pears, figs, thyme, anise seed, ground cinnamon bark, fenugreek, garlic pieces, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, apples, taurine, spirulina, choline chloride, lecithin, probiotics: (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus lactis, bacillus bifidum, streptococcus diacetilactis, bacillus subtillus), taurine, mixed tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), lysine, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine, methionine, carnitine, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, iodine proteinate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, folic acid, pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), copper proteinate, selenium proteinate, cobalt proteinate, papain, yucca schidigera extract

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Fiber: 3%
Moisture: 9%

Additional Nutrient Guarantees
Calcium: 1.5%
Phosphorus: 0.9%

Calories
approx. 550 Kcal/cup (calculated)

Omega Fatty Acids
Omega 6: min 3.4%
Omega 3: min 1.4%
Ratio: 2.4:1

In regards to Natural Balance, from Mordanna's site:

I just received the following official statement from Natural Balance in regards to Menadione:

Please know that the Vitamin K Supplement is no longer in the Natural Balance dog and cat formulas. All of our new bags dated with the year 2007 will no longer have Vitamin K Supplement. Please note, that at this time we are working on removing this from the ingredient listing.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Freeman
Customer Service Rep.
Natural Balance Pet Foods Inc.
800-829-4493

So when buying Natural Balance foods, make sure you don't pick up any of the remaining old bags with a 2006 date.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:26:28 am »
Testing cause this whole link thing is driving me insane.

www.naturalbal anceinc.com

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 05:08:29 pm »
fumble is on the proplan sensitive skin and stomach, that's salmon based.. but i've heard GREAT things about the wellness food!  we got the treats for him! (the chicken is what was causing his ear/yeast infections)... but he LOVES the wellness whitefish treatS!!  :) good luck, let us know what you decide!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:31:11 pm »
Awesome thank everyone. :)

Oooooo I really like the Timberwolf Organics.. but the closest retailer for them in is Toronto at Global pet foods. If one Global pet food store can get it, the others should be able to also.. maybe. Even if I have to order it. I'll call and ask.

Good to know that Natural Balance removed the menadione but I don't really like their ingredients in the fish and potato.. There's more Potato than fish. :-\

I've tried Wellness before and Bubba won't eat it at all.

I'll look up the others mentioned.. thanks again.  ;D

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:25:36 pm »
Oooooo I really like the Timberwolf Organics.. but the closest retailer for them in is Toronto at Global pet foods. If one Global pet food store can get it, the others should be able to also.. maybe. Even if I have to order it. I'll call and ask.

I thought the same thing!

I noticed it's pretty high in calories so you may need to feed less than you're used to.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:25:29 pm »
I feed Wellness Fish and Sweet potato---it is carried locally in my area only by pet stores--they don't sell to the big box pet store chains.
It is whitefish and all human grade ingredients.
Jasper loves it.
I alternate among all the different Wellness products.
For training we use the Natural Balance chubs.
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:33 am »
Ok Fromm's customer service sucks. I still haven't heard anything back from them regarding the menadione. :-\

As for Timberwolf Organics... the other Global pet food store I phoned had never heard of it. I gave her the number for the toronto store that carries it and she said she would call them and find out about it getting it for me. That was this morning and I haven't heard back from her yet.

There are a few other food places I can call. Maybe I'll email Timberwolf and ask if there are any other ontario retailers. Maybe they are not all listed on their website.

I hate switching foods.. it's frustrating. I can never find what I want. I even thought about ordering it online, but I can just imagine the shipping cost. lol

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:21:51 pm »
Ok I found this food.. New Eagle Pack Holistic select Fish and Oatmeal.

How does it look? I really don't like the beet pulp or the brewers yeast.. but it could be worse. :-\ I'm also a bit worried about the salt content.

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Air Dried Peas, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (Organic), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Crude Protein min. 22.0%
Crude Fat min. 12.0%
Crude Fiber max. 3.9%
Moisture max. 10.0%

356 ME (Kcal/cup)

Calcium min. 0.95%**
Phosphorus min. 0.80%**
Vitamin A min. 22,000 IU/kg.
Vitamin E min. 125 IU/kg.
Omega 6 min. 3.2%*
Omega 3 min. .44%*
Glucosamine min. 400 ppm; 41 mg/cup*

Anyone else here feeding this stuff? Or feed Eagle Pack in general?

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:17:04 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the beat pulp.  Unless you're going to start feeding a diet of fresh fish and stuff made at home there's always going to be something in there that's not perfect.

I did try Eagle on my older dane when he was a pup, and we had huge cow-patty poops about four times a day, but it was not the fish formula.  Maybe you'll have better luck.

-Ericka

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 08:47:27 pm »
Which formula did you try? We tried their large breed puppy when Bubba was small and he had the cow pattie poops too. But the ingredients were poor in that formula to say the least. Corn is the 3rd ingredient. Bubba is allergic/intolerant of corn which we didn't know at the time so I'm hoping we won't have that problem with the fish/oatmeal one.

I got your PM, if you can find out any info for me concerning the Timberwolf that would be awesome! The Ocean Blue is definitely my first choice..

I'm going to call Global pet food back today since they never called me. I'm curious to know what they found out. Unless they never bothered to call since they can't get it. :(

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 12:19:55 am »
I'm pretty sure it was the puppy food now that I think about it.  Oh well, live and learn! :)
-Ericka

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:19:35 pm »
Everyone I've talked to isn't too keen on the Eagle Pack. I've tried to explain to them that this kibble is corn, wheat and soy free unlike EP's other kibbles. But they are stuck on the 'poorness' of their other formulas and just keep trying to talk me into something else. LOL

I'm going to just have to go in and stick the bag under their noses so they can read it for themselves. :D