Author Topic: Spay Female, Neuter Male, but which one first  (Read 4978 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Spay Female, Neuter Male, but which one first
« on: April 27, 2006, 02:33:04 am »
Here's the puzzler, Bava is a 1yr old unneutered male, the new pup is a 6month old unaltered female. 
We will be picking up the girl from Jeanne soon, and she will be the stranger in the house.

I am inclined to setup a neuter appointment for Bava for tommorrow, or Monday or as sooon as I can get, but I worry bringing in a new dog, where Bava might "smell funny" from just having surgery or feel off.  Or should we have the new pup spayed right when we bring her home? and just keep them separated until she is feeling up to speed.

Ideas? I want to make sure we start both pups off on the right foot with each other, but we DEFINETLY don't want any puppies.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Spay Female, Neuter Male, but which one first
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 03:01:22 am »
I'd say neuter Bava first as that surgery would be far less invasive.  I don't think there'd be an issue as far as him adjusting.  It would be more stressful on her to have the spay ontop of being moved around so I'd give her the chance to settle in first before getting her spayed.  And males are usually quicker to recover.  Good luck and I can bet you two are sooo excited.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:49:29 pm »
Yeah, I'd have to go with neuter Bava first and then you can spay the new baby in about a month or so.  One of the concerns I would have with the new bitch is bloat and stress can be a trigger...henc e why I would wait about a month or so.  Bava should be up and running around in a day or so...  Either way, good luck.  I can't wait to see pics.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:35:20 pm »
I would hold off on having either dogs surgery done unless the females current owner can keep her until she recovers or while your male recovers. While the male may be feeling better in a few days he still will not be able to romp and play for atleast 7. I would rather introduce two healthy able to play dogs then one who must be kept on leash. If shes unable to I bet you have several months before the female would be in heat anyway. Even my 45 lb Vizslas take 9+ months to have their first cycle.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 07:36:08 pm by VdogLover »

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:07 pm »
Isn't a male still fertile for a short time after being neutered?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 08:16:34 pm »

Yes, I have heard for as little as a week or up to a month. They are willing to "try" for their lifespan even if neutered it seems :D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:28:11 am »
Congrats on the soon to be new baby.  She is a cutie.  Can't wait to hear how everything goes once you get her home.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:07:23 pm »
I dont see what the urgerncy is too having both undergo operations while learning to live with another dog...

My female didnt go into heat until 10mths and I have a intact male...Not saying to hold off that long

but having two animals that are strangers to each other, living in the same home both having operation...mi ght put them in a high stress situation and react differently than originally thought...

I would hold off but that is just me
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:17 pm »
I didn't think about what Vdoglover said, even though Bava might feel up to playing after a neuter we shouldn't let him.  Doh.. I had forgotten all about that part, and we just went through this with Mowgli, who had to wear an E-collar for a couple of days.

Just want to avoid puppies and keep our sanity is the only reson we want to have them 'fixed' as soon as possible.

I have asked on the newf-l mailing list to try and find out when a newf bitch usually has her first heat cycle.  We would like to have her spayed prior to this, to help lessen the risk of mammory cancer.  We will give them a week or so to get aquainted, but not anymore than that, it seems like the risk would just be too great. And 2 love starved newfs is the LAST thing we want to have to deal with, no offense to anyone who is a breeder, you have more patience than I do.

A breeding between these two would be a match made in he**, Bava with his bad joints/confirmation and the girl with mismarked colors. 

It's been a while since we have been through this but how long is the recover from a spay usually, 2 weeks maybe?  We have enough room where we could probably do them both at once after they get aquainted and just keep them separate for a couple weeks, not fun, but definetly doable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:42:10 pm by Jacksmom »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:02:20 pm »
Both complete recoveries within a week. The males are usually back to themselves within a day.  As are the females some tend to stay a little sore.  It also depends on what they use to knock them down withand the dog's reaction to it....Lacey it took her three days to recover from the pre-anesthetic cause it knocked her on her butt.  My mom says it's a good idea to get them done at the same time if you can afford it because it'll only be one week of recovery rather than two.  All you have to do is leash walk them both for a week to prevent any clots from breaking up into the bloodstream.  And instead of putting a cone on the girl just throw a Tshirt on her.  I wouldn't worry about her coming into heat right away so maube give them a week together than do it.  Good Luck and if you have any other questions let me know.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 12:21:06 am »

Yes ... a "freshly" neutered male is even more potent than prior to his surgery.  Plus if he is a 1 year old,  his hormones are raging. I have a Great Dane that is a product of neutering the male first because it was cheaper.  The female then came in heat ... and what do you know, 9 puppies where born.  (This did not happen to me, I adopted one of the pups).

Your female is right at the edge of her first heat.

Get her fixed first (right away) before her heat.

Then you will need to keep them separated when you are not there to constantly supervise because he will try to mount her and can cause some internal damage.

Or better yet, if you can afford it, get them both fixed at the same time.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:23:18 am by Svnt4God »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 02:47:25 am »
The answers I got from Newf-L seem to point to the first heat on a newf occurring as an average at 10-13 months, but I know it could happen sooner.   We will let them get aquainted and then take them in for their surgeries. 

Thanks for the info Erin, 1 week is definetly not too bad and doable.  I imagine we will have them both done at the same time, and just keep them in separate areas of the house for a week.  Melissa can take care of one, and I'll take care of the other. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:47:44 am by brandon »