Author Topic: Just a little update on the Bubba.  (Read 2815 times)

Lyn

Just a little update on the Bubba.
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:56:23 pm »
I took Bubba in to see the vet and he described him as some of you did "Fit". He said he has good muscle tone and none of his bones are protruding. He also manuvered his hips and they do 'pop' every once in awhile. :( So he recommended having his hips x-rayed as soon as I can afford it. They appear to feel fully seated in the socket but feeling and seeing are 2 completely different things. :'(

Although I'm not really seeing any signs of HD. He does bunny hop sometimes when running and playing. I'm not sure if he's just bouncing around just because or if there's more to it. ??? So now that's another concern.  :'(

I was a little ticked that I couldn't get his weight this time since there was a huge mixed breed dog trying to eat Bubba. It's owner didn't have complete control since the dog was dragging him around and I wasn't going to pass him to get to the scale. LOL

So basically I'm suppose to switch him to the fish-based kibble and give that 6-8 weeks and see if there is improvement in his stool and weight. Then bring him back for another checkup, weigh-in and possibly the hip x-rays.

Bubba needs to go back anyway within the next week or so for his heartworm test and meds... I'll see if I can scrounge up enough to get the hip x-rays done at the same time.

And I thought I was freaking about the weight situation now I have HD to stress about..  :'( I keep you all posted.

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little update on the Bubba.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:58:55 pm »
Poor Bubba I hope the xray goes well

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:36:21 pm »
I think Bubba looks great!  I hope the tests and the new kibble work out well for you.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:16:59 pm »
I'm glad that Bubba is "fit" and healthy. He is such a love bug! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well with the x-rays too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:20:50 am »
Argh, large breed dogs are so similar to kids - the worry never ends, eh? I will say a quick prayer for Bubba being HD-free, which I am certain he will be.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 03:20:38 am »
Ok, just typed this, and it said I had to be logged in and I lost it, let me try again :)

Anyways, I don't know if this is helpful or not Lyn, but Bubba is older than a year old he wouldn't be eligible for TPO so the only surgical option would be hip replacement. The hip replacement surgery is a salvage operation and can be done at any time, there is no time-limit on it.

It sounds to me like he gets around great, and is not favoring his hips, he is still growing and might tighten up as he grows, since these big fellows are so loose when they're young.   

If it were me I would probably hold off on the x-ray since it could do nothing but make me worry more, and I wouldn't replace the hips on a still growing pup who is getting around fine.   Our vet did the same thing , we did a preliminary x-ray and we were devastated.  Looking back, he had such bad positioning on the x-ray we really couldnt tell much of anything at all, other than he did have sockets.

We might still have to cross that bridge some time in the future, but for now, bava gets around great, runs, plays, etc. We walked 3 miles this weekend at a state park for a nature fest with him.  But I wasn't going to do a THR on a young dog that didn't need it.

And this way if we have to cross that bridge in the future, Bava will have built up more muscle mass and be in better shape for recovery, we walk him regularly, etc.

Just my 2 cents, and hoping the very best for the bubmeister.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 10:55:08 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:45:30 pm »
Thanks all. It just sucks that this vet visit was suppose to make me feel better not worse. When I left there his weight was the last thing on my mind.

I honestly don't know that if Bubba does have HD that I would opt for surgury. My brothers Golden Rye had HD badly in both hips. They did surgury on the right hip since it was the worst the left hip was poor but they didn't repair it. I'm not sure if it was TPO or a hip replacement. But the poor guy was still almost crippled even after the surgury. He loved to play ball, but could only chase after it once or twice before his right leg would start shaking and collapse under him. It was just so sad watching him because his eyes would light up as soon as he saw the ball, and when he fell he'd get right back up and bring it back to you to throw again  :'(

I've never seen a mild or moderate case of HD to even compare. I've read tons of articles and they all leave me still wondering if he does have it.  :-\

Bubba's hips were crackling and popping before, from about 4 months old to around 7-8 months old, but just stopped one day. My vet did say that growth will cause all sorts of wonky things to show on an x-ray and to wait until he was 18 months to get the x-rays done. He's almost 15 months old now.. so maybe that's why he brought it up again? Just freaked me out because he checks his hips everytime we are in there and never said anything before now.

BUT I'm going to have to wait on the x-rays.. He said Bubba will need to be put out to have them done. Since anethetic goes by weight that's going to cost me a small fortune. LOL
I hadalmost $2000 put away just for vet visits and it's long gone! Can you believe that.. ARG My vet is making a killing off of me. lol

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 09:50:19 pm »
You are better off waiting.  Kali's hips click and I've felt them pop but her hips would pass OFA certs according to our vet.  As we had her xrayed and they do need to be knocked out....we did hers without sedation and it took five people and the xrays still didn't come out that great. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as he isn't dead lame you should be good for now.  Maybe try doing exercises with him to strengthen the muscles around the hips and even if he does have the dysplasia he may be fine with just the strengthening of the muscles.  I can't remember what the exercises are but the good part is that they're free and easy. Good Luck and remember we're all here for you!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties