Author Topic: Question about rough play  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Question about rough play
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:14:32 am »
I have a question about playing. Sadie loves to play and has more energy than I expected a Newf to have. A couple of times now during a play session with another pup she sort of falls down and yelps, then when she gets up she limps a bit for a few minutes and then it's like she walks it off and she's fine. It just happened this evening and this time the other dog wasn't even touching her when it happened, she just sort of fell over. She yelped and couldn't seem to get her footing for a minute. Then she limped and was ok after a few minutes. I know from when she had her last big growth spurt that she's incredibly vocal and has a low tolerance for pain. The vet said she's the most vocal Newf she's ever seen when it comes to shots and things. She's also at a really awkward clumsy stage and trips over her own feet frequently. I suspect that's what happened, but I don't know for sure. I'm just a little nervous because I know her skeleton is still so fragile at this age. I don't want to not let her play with other dogs, I just don't want her to get hurt. Is this a case of her being a drama queen or should I be worried?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
Re: Question about rough play
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:53:51 am »
Its really hard to say with out actually seeing her, although we would make the trip in a heartbeat to see you, Sadie, Rich, and Winslow. In the immediate I think Rich and Winslow may be your best bet for a comparison. Sadie can play with another puppy that wont trounce her and Rich can give you his two cents on the situation although it might be worth three. All you need to do is give Erin and I an excuse. Good Luck  Tim

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:54:03 am »
It could certainly be a drama queen thing.  Puppies of any breed can handle alot more than people think.  They are very resistant, and what looks like something that would be painful to us doesn't bother them in the least.  Even if they yelp, it doesn't necessarily mean they are in pain (although in this case she may have been)  Some dogs are born drama queens while others are made that way by the owners jumping in to save them at every tumble (not saying this is you)  ;)

Has she had her hips and knees checked out?  I know a friend of mine's boxer had problems with his cruciate ligament while he was still quite young and it caused off and on limping.  Or it could be just what you think.....she is going thru growing pains and getting jostled causes some discomfort.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:36 am »
Tim, you guys don't need an excuse! Come on up! We should definitely do another get together soon, Sadie had so much fun last time.

Zoocrew, her vet did a little bit of a check when we were last there for her growing pains. She didn't do an x-ray or anything, she just rotated her hips and she said everything seemed normal. She said an x-ray would be useless at this age because she's growing and changing. The limping goes away after a few minutes, which is why I suspect she's just being vocal and dramatic about a little discomfort. She's always been loud and a bit of a drama queen. My vet couldn't believe how much she fussed at her first checkup. It's probably nothing to worry about, I was just curious if anyone else had similar stuff as a pup.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:42:17 am »
Hey we will have to see what your and Erin's scedules are like, I know she has exams the end of next week but we will see. Maybe we will PM you tommorrow when we get back from Storrs.

As for X-Rays I will caution you when we took Kali's it took my Mom (who is a vet assistant), me, and two vets, just to get average X-rays. If we every have to get better ones she will need to be sedated. The other problem is the one highlighted by your own vet, Sadie is growing like crazy.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:58:02 am »
Can it be that she's just getting her legs and she can't do a thing with them?  Kinda the gangly goofy bambi-on-ice stage, bava and our lab zima both went through this where they would just fall all over the place when they started getting their height.  I love that stage because they are just sooo goofy and gangly looking :)

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:00:44 pm »
Can it be that she's just getting her legs and she can't do a thing with them?  Kinda the gangly goofy bambi-on-ice stage, bava and our lab zima both went through this where they would just fall all over the place when they started getting their height.  I love that stage because they are just sooo goofy and gangly looking :)

It's totally possible that it is just that, it's probably likely that's what it is. It's just scary when she yelps like that and then she's limping around. But a few minutes later she's running around again. She seemed fine this morning and was fine the rest of the night last night, so I don't know. I might call the vet to see what she thinks, but I have a feeling she thinks I overreact and panic too much.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
Hi,

Hmm Drama Queen, what does mommy do for fun  :D Theater huh like mommy like puppy!! I think your Fiesty one is just playing and likes mommies reaction to her acting.

The few times she and Winslow have been out she gets excited and starts the playing, then when he finally catches up to your fire ball she rolls over and yelps, Like what are you doing Winslow I was only kidding.  :P

Keep an eye out to see if it is just her playing or if she actually takes an awkward fall and yelps. I'd say the growth things is a real possibility she has a few Spurts left in her I'm sure.

Yeah Tim and Erin we have to get the kids together soon!! Maybe a cape trip to hook up with Fumble!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 10:31:11 pm »
Hi,

Hmm Drama Queen, what does mommy do for fun  :D Theater huh like mommy like puppy!! I think your Fiesty one is just playing and likes mommies reaction to her acting.

The few times she and Winslow have been out she gets excited and starts the playing, then when he finally catches up to your fire ball she rolls over and yelps, Like what are you doing Winslow I was only kidding.  :P

Keep an eye out to see if it is just her playing or if she actually takes an awkward fall and yelps. I'd say the growth things is a real possibility she has a few Spurts left in her I'm sure.

Yeah Tim and Erin we have to get the kids together soon!! Maybe a cape trip to hook up with Fumble!!

Rich

LOL I know, I know, she probably takes after me and I certainly have been guilty of fussing over her when she does it. Maybe she just gets scared? I don't know what it is. This guy she was playing with last night is a regular play buddy and he, like Winslow, is very gentle with her. And he wasn't even near her when she did this. Maybe she did another roll and yelp like she does with Winslow and just rolled the wrong way. The limping for a few minutes afterwards is what bothers me. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Last night it looked very odd, which is what made me nervous. It really looked like she just fell over, but maybe I just didn't see her stumble on her monstrous feet that are too big for the rest of her right now.

We definitely should meet up again soon! Fumble's mom you in?
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline threebigdogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 09:17:15 pm »
Hi Sadie's Mom
Shamus is 13 weeks old and he has been doing the same thing.  The first time he was just taking a step up and he started crying and holding up his paw.  Last night he banged into a chair in an attempt to get his ball and again started crying a bit and limping - but within a minute he was totally fine, not limping, wanting to run around.  We were thinking that he is a drama queen as well but I'm a little concerned that it might be OCD.  Apparently it shows up at quite a young age. Our other newf, Raven had to have surgery for OCD, but she was quite a bit older.  I'm hoping that he is just a big baby.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 10:07:07 pm »
Shamus may be just sore from growth.  I know Kali used bump herself occaisonally and would yelp and limp but we think it was just the fact she was always having growth spurts so she was hitting sore areas.  Shamus is a cutie and welcome to the boards I can't wait to more pics of your boy!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 07:57:43 pm »
I wonder if Sadie has Pano.  My mother's Dobe had very similar situations as you describe.  He was diagnosed with Pano.

Tina

Yes, someone on another board suggested it sounded like Pano too, but my vet doesn't think she has it. She said Sadie is a little young for it and the limping and yelping is always after some sort of fall and doesn't continue past a few minutes. She wants to wait to 6 months before we do an x-ray and she'd like to do it at the same time as the spay so she doesn't have to go under anesthesia twice. I guess I'll know more then.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline brett_and_krystal

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 05:32:26 pm »
We had the same problem with Magoo when he turned around 5 months old.  We of course were frantic.....(dramatics and all). He was playing with his second counsin, a boxer of the same age.  All of the sudden he yelped and started limping around all alone.
 We had two different set of x-rays taken.  To make sure we got good x-rays we did the second set of when we got him nuetered(while he was asleep). They shipped the x-ray's to a U of Minn vet radiology professer and he said thankfully, it must be growing pains. There was nothing on the x-rays to indicate anything else.  After about 7-10 days he quit the dramatics. 
I hope that all is well, there is nothing worse than hearing your puppy yelp and seeing him limp. 

I am a bit dramatic myself!!