Author Topic: Heartworm  (Read 2291 times)

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Heartworm
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:46:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

Last Saturday I rescued a 17 mo. old female golden retriever.  She was  not spayed and her vaccinations were expired also.   I got her into my vet on Tuesday for the spay and the vaccinations and they found she was heartworm positive.  Has any dealth with this or have any information to share with me on this subject.  I would appreciate any help or suggestions.   Thanks

Meg

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Heartworm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:13:52 pm »
We've been through it, when we first moved here our lab stayed with my sister for a bit, until we could get a fence up for her, and somewhere in the shuffle she didn't get her heartworm treatment.

We had to go through the treatment twice, the 1st time she developed pneumonia, so we backed off, gave her antibiotics, and let her heal up from that, we then started again, the plan from our vet was to kill them as slowly as possibly.  The problem with treating heartworms, is large chunks of the dead worms can dislodge at once and that is bad.  So we had to keep her as calm as possible, no jumping around or running or anything that might cause a largish chunk of the worms at once to break loose.  Cowhooves, bones, some new toys, etc to keep her occupied.   

I believe she was 6ish when we treated her and she lived until she was 12. 

LaurelGrove is right though, it was rough and scary but she was a trooper and pulled through it fine.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:05:29 am »
Thanks everyone.  Her HW is in the early stage according to the vet.  They will begin treatment next week, with two days of IM medications.  I am really worried about keeping her quiet, she is an active little girl.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 07:48:45 am »
I have had a dog go through heartworm treatment and she did great. :)

As for the keeping them calm thing, here is where a crate really comes in handy. I have fostered two Danes right after they had heartworm treatment and they stayed in the crate pretty much for several weeks and were only walked on a leash- no off-leash activities at all. They made full recovery. Your vet will tell you what to look out for after the treatment.

Best of luck! I bet your pooch will be just fine!! :)

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:03:49 pm »
I had enrolled her in obedience to begin this week also, but thought I should cancel because of the activity level.  Do you think that would be safe for her? 

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:48:27 pm »
Sorry I misunderstood you.......that makes alot of sense.  Thanks for the help and support.