Author Topic: Under the weather  (Read 10867 times)

lins_saving_grace

Under the weather
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:53:02 am »
Lady seems a little sluggish.  I came home last night and she wasn't her normal hyper self.  She just wanted to eat then sleep.  She woke up to growl at the puppy and chew on her bone and didn't really have the energy to do much else.  This is a little abnormal for her.  I had a few ideas.  1.) it was hot.  2.) she was still tired from the walk on Monday. 3.) She's growing and it hurts a little. 
I gave her a children's asprin and she seemed to pull out of it...but was still quiet.
Is anyone else's big dog a little lathargic lately?

lins_saving_grace

Re: Under the weather
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:15:37 am »
I think that's it too.  She's 10 1/2 months and this is the first summer she remembers anyway.  She might not have slept well during the day since the windows were open downstairs and the neighbor dog may have been at the back window teasing them.  I pulled the drapes today to keep the sun out and I need to get vertical blinds for the slider soon. 
I'm not really sure what the 2 of them do during the day...they are in separate kennels but side by side so they can see each other and talk.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall. 

Thanks for the input.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 01:43:24 pm »
I hope she is feeling better lins.....  :-\ How warm is it where you live now...... I dont know how many hours you work, and are gone from the house, but if it gets warm in your house, they may need water during the day, do they have water in the crates? It sounds like heat, but like you said, if the other dog is bugging them, they may not be able to relax and will when they finally can be real tired. My dogs always go down on a slower gear when it is summer. Mind you so do I  ::) Let us know how she is today when you come home. And give your pretty girls huggs from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 02:10:34 pm »
yesterday it was 70.  But the basement is really cold and we have air on.  I'd rather not have to put water in their krates during the day...1. they'd sit in the bowls and 2. they'd pee in the bowls once empty and not get a lot of drinking done.  :)   I leave the house right before 8 in the morning and get home around 5:30 or 5:45.  I'll let you know how she's feeling tonight...tomo rrow.  :) 

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:57:57 pm »
yep....i just saw one of those too....laughed SO hard.  i say....just let them run free with as much water as they need..it will make a mess, but they will love you so much for it!

just an idea lol, and a bad one at that!

im trying it with the devil right now...and whenever i get home, my room smells more like pee but i cant find pee.  i know it isn't on the bed because i have a plastic cover on it so it would pool up wioth nowhere to go...  so maybe its just my head. i dont know.  anyway.....im moving so i dont care if my carpets get ruined lol....we're in a different boat!

good luck!

hope everyone is feeling better!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:15:26 pm »
Lins,
70 degrees and you think that she is too hot?? :P  Bear wishes and prays for the weather to return to the 70's. He is home all day with the AC on because it is in the 90's here. Yuck!
I just had to give you a hard time because I am jealous of your weather.  ;) I hope she's feeling better.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:45:48 pm »
Yeah... 70 doesnt sound hot at all, we never have cooler than 70 in here, and when it is no warmer than that, she should be fine without water in the crate, I agree that it is not a great idea to put water in a crate, but if it is super hot, they may still need it. But you are nowhere near HOT hehe. I am also a "dogs have the run of the house" person. I have always been and knock on wood, have never really had any problems, when they are puppies and I have to leave them for several house I put the bed in laundry room or bathroom (mind you the other night was a perfect situation when I wish I had crated Galahad lol....) When it is only 70 I wouldnt think she is over heated, it may be that the other dog was nagging them and she was just very very tired when you got home.

Marit

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:48:31 pm »
Yeah... 70 doesnt sound hot at all, we never have cooler than 70 in here, and when it is no warmer than that, she should be fine without water in the crate, I agree that it is not a great idea to put water in a crate, but if it is super hot, they may still need it. But you are nowhere near HOT hehe. I am also a "dogs have the run of the house" person. I have always been and knock on wood, have never really had any problems, when they are puppies and I have to leave them for several house I put the bed in laundry room or bathroom (mind you the other night was a perfect situation when I wish I had crated Galahad lol....) When it is only 70 I wouldnt think she is over heated, it may be that the other dog was nagging them and she was just very very tired when you got home.

Marit

That's what we did with Lou and Greta...they had a bathroom and it was difficult for a while...we had some messes to clean up.  Now I have a fenced yard and there is always someone home, so they come in and go out and all that good stuff.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 07:44:27 am »
I didn't think 70 was too hot either.  She's all droppy and sleepy.  She slept all night after I got home last night.  My husband thinks she's going through another growing phase and that if she doesn't pop out of it he'll take her to the vet.  Her nose is wet and cold...and she still wants her hugs and kisses...just quietly.  That's gotta be it...Growing Pains.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:16:53 pm »
I hope she is feeling a lot better lins...... Your hubby is probably right, they do go grow so fast from time to time, so you know they gotta be tired. Your babies are older so they have all their boosters too I am sure. I had a little scare here, Galahad got his booster today, but since he is still too young to have all the boosters and the rabies. well I got worried last tuesday, hubby had a secr. who has a son who lives at home (hmmmm is it getting complicated enough yet  :P) his puppy has parvo, they had to take it to the vet, got it in time though, so it only had to stay for a couple of days, but I had him take off shoes before he got in here. He thought I was silly he hadnt even met the dog. Then yesterday Galahad puked ones, it was only a regular "I ate somthing from the floor I shouldnt have" puke, but at the time when I knew this other dog had parvo, I got super worried. Even though I more or less knew it wasnt that. He is fine and today we got the last booster. But it is soooo worrysam when they dont feel good. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Big huggs to her and the other pretty girl you have

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 07:55:06 am »
No way she's going into heat.  She's been fixed since January.  I think she's starting to feel a little better.  Daddy's home with her today and is going to call the vet to see if they want her to come in.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 08:12:37 am »
No way she's going into heat.  She's been fixed since January.  I think she's starting to feel a little better.  Daddy's home with her today and is going to call the vet to see if they want her to come in.

I was looking through a dog book yesterday and they recommend taking them to the vet as soon as possible if behavior changes are noticed.

From my own experience, and I am sure you are the same, I am so in-tune with my dogs that I can tell when something is not right.  I remember one time Greta wasn't hungry.  But, for Greta, food is the world.  It was odd.  Also she did not want to sit down, but when I asked her to sit, she finally did, but not without a small whimper.

She had a nail in her stomach.

She needed intraveinous fluids, followed by removal of the nail by scope.  Sometimes even swallowing change can cause poison where they become lethargic and need an IV.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 08:15:38 am »
Holy smokes!  I'm sure it's not that bad.  Lady is eating and drinking and seemed to have more energy last night and this morning than the last 2 days.  But Darrell's calling the vet today anyway.  He thought it might be Parvo.  How would that have happened?
It might just be a bug...or a growth spurt...or  change in schedule.  Daddy has been working way too much and not home to see her.  I'll definately let you know what the vet says. 

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 08:24:51 am »
I hope that she is ok! Maybe she will spruce up spending the day with Daddy.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 08:29:23 am »
I hope so.  I'm thinking it's her growing.  Didn't your big pup hurt during filling out stages?