Author Topic: Under the weather  (Read 10865 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Under the weather
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 08:34:13 am »
It seems that parvovirus has quite severe symptoms...blo ody diarrhea, bad smells, etc.  But, I found a really good article about it.  I did not know that "birds" landing in the dog's water bowl can cause parvovirus infection.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Greta's breeder recommended giving rottweilers (and labs, perhaps some others) extra doses of parvovirus vaccines.  I don't know if this is necessary or really works, but some seem to believe it does.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 08:35:55 am »
So we can rule out Parvo?  She stinks like she needs a bath and that's it.  ANd there's no blood...everyt hing's pretty solid coming out.  It's gotta be a bug or a filling out pain.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 08:39:52 am »
So we can rule out Parvo?  She stinks like she needs a bath and that's it.  ANd there's no blood...everyt hing's pretty solid coming out.  It's gotta be a bug or a filling out pain.

This is just me, but I would never completely rule out anything.  I think diseases can manifest themselves in different ways.  For example, the symptoms may vary according to individual.  Some may show different signs at onset than the commonly described symptoms.  I always feel better when I take them to the vet to make sure.  Sometimes there are things that even the vet misses and I have to observe closely for quite a while to realize what may be happening, then tell the vet to run certain tests.  After all, the vets are only human and things like urinary tract infections are not apparent to the vet...they only go off of the symptoms we describe to them.  There are a number of "hidden" diseases that can only be seen under a microscope.   ;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 08:49:24 am »
I'm just a little worried.  :P  I'm sure she's fine...but I hate when they're sick. 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 09:04:46 am »
I'm just a little worried.  :P  I'm sure she's fine...but I hate when they're sick.  

Yes, it causes me to panic inside when I think of losing them.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 09:06:10 am »
Lins - I sure hope she is okay!  When Ranger is going through growing spurts, he gets fairly lethargic, so maybe that's what has her feeling a little down and out.  A trip to the vet isn't a bad thing just to be sure, and I'm sure it will set your mind at ease.

Hugs and Kisses to you and Lady!   :-*

Heather

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 09:13:01 am »
I just lost Missy in February...Man I miss that dog sooo much. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 09:14:05 am »
That's reassuring to hear yours had the same symptoms.  I haven't heard from her Daddy...so I hope he called and they told her the same thing. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 09:58:11 am »
My husband just called.   He talked to the vet and they said to watch her over the weekend...but most likely it's her adjusting to the summer heat and could be a little bit of growing pains.  Keep plenty of water for her...which we always do and bring her in if it doesn't change. 
So...it's just normal puppy stuff.  Shewww!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 10:25:52 am »
My husband just called.   He talked to the vet and they said to watch her over the weekend...but most likely it's her adjusting to the summer heat and could be a little bit of growing pains.  Keep plenty of water for her...which we always do and bring her in if it doesn't change.  
So...it's just normal puppy stuff.  Shewww!

This is great, super news!  Have a perfect day!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 02:38:14 pm »
Great news for Lady!!! I'm glad that the vet didn't think that it was serious. It was hard for us to tell with Hutch if he had the growing pains. We rescued him at 10 months and he had so many other health issues that we had to deal with. We spent about a grand in vet bills within his first six months with us- He is doing much better now! I'll be thinking of the little one and hoping that she gets back to normal soon.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

dohertyswissy

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 02:46:04 pm »
Yahoo!  That is wonderful news!!  It is such a relief to know that it isn't anything serious!  I'm sure Lady will be back to herself soon.  Keep us posted!!  Have a good day and hug Lady for me!!

Heather

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 02:45:22 pm »
I am so glad to hear that she probably is totally okay, just getting used to the summer.

On the parvo note though. If they are vaccinated, they can still get it. Not very bad, and totally unlikely to the point where they get severly sick. But a dog who is vaccinated and exposed to it, can show signs like a slight elevated temp. tired and just feeling off. in some cases they dont even had the runs or vomit. A lot of dogs actually have it without the owners even realizing it, well that is for the ones who are vaccinated, if not you cant really miss it.

I hope she is feeling all back to her usual self next time you update us

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2005, 02:51:54 pm »
cody had parvo!  when he was like 7 months old, he started puking...then within two hours it was bloody puke and bloody projectile crap.....then he went to the emergeny vets, and they had him for a wekk.  we just about lost him.....and that was right after we lost my other dog....and i was about ready to off myself, no joke. 

but...he pulled through thank god....and now hes a california stud!