Author Topic: UTI Questions  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
UTI Questions
« on: May 01, 2006, 01:01:27 am »
Boo was just diagnosed with a UTI.  Is this a common thing in big dogs?  Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening again? 

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: UTI Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:44:03 am »
Cider had a uti when she was little and I got all paro that it might happen again..
Make sure that while it's being cured and after that there's plenty of fresh water, and that it's as 'appetising' as possible.  Like refilling it a little more often if it's kinda warm.. has dirt, kibble floaters lol..
Probiotic yogurt a little bit a day can help along with antibiotics to clear it up, and can help as a future prevention measure.
And female dogs with a tendancy to get uti's semi regularly may be having a problem with urine pooling in their vagina.  Loose tissue holding some of it up, where bacteria then can go in the wrong direction and cause a uti.  If it is the case a baby wipe and getting a little up close and personal with your furbaby can help in the long run to keeping the bacteria minimized.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

lins_saving_grace

Re: UTI Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 01:46:47 am »
Grace gets them a lot too.  Nothing to prevent them according to my vet.  some dogs (not breed specific) are prone to them...just like some people get them more than others because of their physical makeup.