Author Topic: Bloating Boxer?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Bloating Boxer?
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:29:01 am »
I think I just witness my first time with Bloat.

I was at the Dog Park this evening.  A man just arrived with his young boxer.  As soon as he came into the park, his dog fell over.  I was at the top of the hill when this happened.  So I rushed over to see if I can tell what might be happening.  The dog was tightening up her stomach, gagging, and foaming.  I opened her mouth to see if there was any blockage (visable) ... didn't see any.

So I told the man to bring her immediately to the Emergency Vet.  I hope he made it on time.

Does that sound like Bloat to you?

cricket36580

Re: Bloating Boxer?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 06:16:43 pm »
Bloat usually doesn't come on this sudden.  They usually have symptoms for quite a while before they collapse.  Note I said usually.  I have seen it strike suddenly but not that sudden.  That sounds more like poison to me.  Rat poison or end stage antifreeze poisoning.  However, if bloat does happen that fast and they collapse, usually there isn't any hope.  The blood pressure drops so quickly the vet can't get an iv started and they can't get them stabilized enough to do surgery. 

Ok, that was my gloom and doom for the day...I hope he made it and he's ok...

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Bloating Boxer?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:14 pm »
That sounds like poisoning to me too, unless the dog had been bloating for a while before he got to the park.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein