Author Topic: 2 intact males in the same house.. Accident waiting to happen?  (Read 1780 times)

Lyn

Hubby and I have been discussing getting another Newf as I've mentioned before. We were going to get a female mainly because we were worried about male/male issues. Bubba does get along better with females, but he doesn't have any issues with other males either.

Basically my question is that Bubba is not neutered yet. He will be done at 2 years old. So 9 months to go give or take. He's not marking inside or having any behaviour/dominance problems so I'm okay with letting him keep his parts until 2.

BUT The breeder we are interested in getting a Newf pup from also recommends waiting until 1.5 to 2 years old. So if we got a pup now/soon both would be intact for a short time.

I'm not sure whether it would work or not. I know Newfs are not known for being dog aggressive.. but Saints can be male/male aggressive when intact. Although Bubba isn't now and has been around other un-neutered males with no problem. I'm worried that in the same house things may be different.

I'm honestly thinking we should just wait until Bubba is neutered to bring in another male. But at the same time he may be more accepting of a puppy now vs when he 2 years old. :-\

Does anyone here have 2 intact males living together peacefully? Or at least co-existing together.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: 2 intact males in the same house.. Accident waiting to happen?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:43:12 pm »
Lyn, if you're planning on bringing in a male puppy I wouldn't worry about it at all.  By the time that puppy is old enough to start 'smelling' like a male to Bubba he'll be ready for his neuter.

I brought Mickey in when Java was about 1.5 years, but Mickey was SO dominant HE was the one that got snipped first. :)
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
I had two intact male dobermans together for three years, until the older of the two died at 6 years old. We never had any real fights, some agressive and noisy wrestling sessions, but no attacks. But my older male was clearly dominent, the younger never challanged him or any other dog in the 12 years we had him. I really think it depends on the personality mix of the dogs.
Stella

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:12:35 am »
I dont think with adding newf that you should have many dominance issues...I do know that with my male dog Zero, if I brought home another male (which I will in a year or so) there would be issues once the younger pup is mature.  I will have seperates places for both dogs...

Right now I have male and female and both are great with each other but both have same sex dominance
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:54:25 am »
Thanks all. :D

I was more worried about Bubba.. even though he will be neutered the Newf will have that 'male smell' when he matures. I thought that may cause problems regardless. Hopefully since he'll be growing up with the pup things will be good. It won't be a strange intact male invading his territory.