Author Topic: Sepration anxiety getting worse  (Read 2407 times)

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Sepration anxiety getting worse
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:46:11 am »
I realize that Shamus is only four and a half months old,  however he follows me to every room. He cries at the bathroom door when I shut it. He is asleep right now at my feet while I am infront of the computer.
If I were to get up right now he would be right behind me. He gets left for maybe an hour a day and he doesn't destroy anything but I know he has barked himself into a frenzy because when I get home he is still barking. How can I help him get over this?

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Sepration anxiety getting worse
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:00:40 am »
He might actually feel more secure in a crate while you aren't home, you could put a comfy bed in there with one of your shirts for him to snuggle with.  Young dogs like having a "den" where they can feel safe.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:01:44 am »
I may have to get him one. I just hate the thought of any animal being in a cage.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:06:21 am »
Yea, I know, but you are really saving him from himself!  Besides, it's not a "cage", it's a "DEN", see the difference?  ;D
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:07:57 am »
Farley was like that ..he still follows me everywhere ::) I had a shower this morning and he was sitting right at the door waiting!! I agree with what Greatdanz said. Crating is a great way to give them a space that is thiers and they feel secure. Farley graduated to a big wire crate and hated it. It was not until I covered it with blankets and made it like a cave that he was comfy in it. He has  padding on the bottom for cushion and a comforter on top to snuggle in. I have one of my shirts in there and a few toys that only go in the crate. He loves it now. Dennis and I could not find him the other night ...he was sound asleep in his crate with the door open ::)

Also when I say "kennel" ( thats what we call our crate) I grab a treat to throw inside for him...he loves getting a treat for being a good boy and going in his kennel

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 01:21:37 am by Icerotti »

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:18:22 am »
I have to agree with you Michelle. Strider loves his crate. Every morning as the kids are going out the door to school and I am leaving for work, Strider literally races down the hall to get to his crate. Yesterday, someone (I think it was my Mom :-\) closed the door and latched it. This morning the poor guy crashed into the door and sat there with a pathetic look on his face, like there was the greatest party inside and he wasn't gonna get to go. LOL
Stella