Author Topic: National Geographic special included spot about Caucausian Ovcharkas  (Read 21955 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
BabsT -- did you see the NG special the other night?  I can't remember what the overall subject was, but they did a little segment about COs.  They made them out to be uncontrollable beasts!  Just because the stupid guy that owned one had never learned to be dominant.

They interviewed the only US breeder (I think her name was Leslie?).  I missed most of that, but it was hilarious watching this little man trying to "walk" his CO.  It was more like him laying on the ground, heels digging in, while the CO pulled him.

Sarah

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Was it the show where he said that the dog would bit a car? The guy was a joke.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think so.  I remember they said he weighed about 180 and the dog weighed 210.

Imagine what Cesar Millan would say to him.
Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I hate that segment...The breeder was thunderhawk caucasians...T he lesson learned is what a poorly trained undersocialzed animal turns out to be...And well it shows you what a poor and non responsible dog owner is
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
My biggest fear from pr like that is those dope-dealing gangland types who'll go out and get one thinking they're getting the greatest guard dog around.

(like they've done with rotties)
Sarah

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
I haven't seen that as we don't get the NG channel, but it sounds like a very sad and biased interview.  I don't think that is the only CO breeder in the US.

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Ugh that's where I learned about Caucasians in the first place. The way they showed them I was like NO WAY, that's poor training, fell in love with the breed, and started to research them myself.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Lyn

I saw that segment too and thought the breeder was horrible. She compared the dogs to a 45 caliber gun.. WTF? And she bosts that they need NO protection/guard training. Umm how are you going to control them or get them to stop if you don't properly train them? And the man that couldn't control his CO got it from her go figure. Shows what kind of screening she does as a breeder.

I've researched the CO also since they do interest me. But I don't think I have what it takes to own one. But I LOVE Zero. So I'll just admire him. LOL

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
FYI LOL... Zero is a Central Asian and Chara is the Caucasian...an d my dogs dont even kind of act like that.  I would be embarassed if they did LOL

They do need a firm hand with lots of training and socialization but they are extremely loyal and will give their life for you

There is something very unique about these breeds that puts them in a special place in my heart

Lyn

Oooops. I got it backwards.. I thought Zero was the CO and Chara was the CAO. :-[

I so do not have a 'firm hand'. I'd end up looking like that guy on the show getting dragged around and disrespected by his CO. LOL

But there is something really unique about them that draws me to them.

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
Re: National Geographic special included spot about Caucausian Ovcharkas
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 08:59:37 pm »
And by "firm hand" Babs meant "strong will". LOL I don't think she ever used a "hand" to discipline her dogs. I think she spoils them more than she spoils her husband.  :P

As for National Geographic program - it has been on the air since 2003 at least. Very damaging program for the breed, as well as now it attracts attention of questionable characters. Every time it airs I get calls from people who "wants a dog just like the one in this program", but always answer "I don't have dogs like this".

In fearness to the breeder featured in this program - I was told the crew shoot over 3 hours of material, but they obviously had their own agenda, since the 10 minutes of chosen material was so single-sided. On the other hand - for any breeder to give a referal of such owner to the TV crew is unthinkable to me (not to mention placing a dog with the person like that).

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 10:39:33 pm »
I get a lot of flak from people who think I'm too hard on Einstein -- but, I did my research (thanks to Babs pointing out his breed) and I was able to learn about the temperament of the SRO.  I know if I ever let him think he's in charge, he really will be in charge.

Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 11:20:55 pm »
As my father says...If I die, I want to come back as my daughters dogs LOL....

I am so glad that I got the dogs I did, I couldnt imangie it any other way... 

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 04:56:46 am »
Woah.. no no! I would never accuse Babs of hitting her dogs. I knew what she meant by firm hand. That's why I said I'd end up being dragged around and disrespected.. because I'm not a dominant type person. A CO or CAO would take over for me and I know it. A much as I like them, I know they are not the breed for me.

I guess that's what I get for making a quick post.. I didn't explain myself well enough. :-[ Just wanted to clarify though..

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 07:48:07 am »
Oh, Lyn!
I appologise! I never implied that you meant that. No way!
I need to explain myself better too.