Author Topic: How I trained to be ready for the dog park  (Read 1648 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
How I trained to be ready for the dog park
« on: May 03, 2006, 05:45:22 am »
I wrote this out to educate some friends elsewhere, thought it might be of interest here, it's an overview (by no means covering all the bases) of how I trained Earnest to be ready for the dog park and other group off lead situations.

At first it was a matter of teaching him to focus on me by having him sit anytime I saw him “alert” (ears up, intense stare, squared off stance) preferably BEFORE his butt got started wagging. I’d hold a treat enclosed in my fist, and wave it under his nose whenever he got distracted. He’d get the treat when the other dog was out of his “excitement zone” (far enough away he wasn’t interested). That went for roller bladers, babies in strollers, skateboarders, squealing children etc. It made him look to me anytime ANYTHING exciting happened. Including his first deer jumping out of the bushes. Timing is the key, if you redirect when the dog's attention first goes to a distraction, you can build in the habit of "look at mom" before things get exciting enough for them to forget.
Once I got him able to pay attention around other dogs passing (like in the on-leash parks), I took him to the dog park and stayed ON LEAD outside the fence. Worked at a distance keeping his attention, then closer, until he could visit through the fence without being an idiot. (he's half Lab, when he was young he got VERY excited). We also worked on recall on the flexi lead in the on leash park, then back to outside the fence at the dog park. I let him visit through the fence at a distance, then called him back, with the flexi to enforce it. Of course, treats and praise when he complied. Once I didn’t have to enforce it, we went inside.
Some dogs are fence aggressive, things can get nasty at the fence. That’s ok, too, you can see how your dog reacts and train accordingly, so you are ALWAYS in control. Earnest knows to head back to me immediately if another dog gets argumentative. A fearful dog might need to learn confidence, so it doesn't get bullied, etc...

We did NOT do "socialization" at the dog park, when he was really little we visited other friend's dogs, if I hadn't had them I probably would have gone to puppy class.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Re: How I trained to be ready for the dog park
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 10:18:52 pm »
Thanks so much for this info.  I've been wondering where to start with Einstein.  He's pretty good about staying with me, but it's always a crapshoot as to whether he'll come when I call.

We're going to start working tonight!
Sarah

Offline KhubiLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 10:28:16 pm »
Fantastic ideas - thanks for posting!
Izabel - Kitty
Khubilai Khan - Great Dane

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:04:10 am »
Sounds like you and Mowgli are doing great! Congratulation s.

I found that enclosing a treat in my fist works well to teach the dog to "target" on my hand.  I used either Bil Jac liver treats or small pieces of cheese- soft cat food works good, too. 
Give your command with the treat in your fist, the dog focuses on your hand, and you can combine moving the hand in a signal with the verbal command. You open your hand to dispense the treat. This not only helps with dogs that are over eager for the treat, but I can position my dogs in almost any way I want by holding my hand in the "treat fist" (now even if there's nothing in it). The first few times on a new command the reward has to be immediate to get the point across, but once they have the idea I withold the treat for a few beats, until they are ready to accept it calmly. This helps with transitioning off treats later.
For example, if Earnest wants to go around my office chair and lay on the west side of the room and I want him to cross behind me instead of in front of me, I make a fist and say "this way" while moving my hand in the direction I want him to go. Same if I want him to pass in front of me.
When I did his distraction training I even waved the treat enclosed in my fist under his nose, or let him sniff between my thumb and finger- keeping his attention but not letting him have the treat right away- so he got the idea he had to focus to get the treat. I also use it for where he stands, I hold my fist in front of me if I want him to stop facing me, to one side or the other if I want him in the "heel" position (since I have two I've taught them to heel on either side).