Author Topic: Need support with possible demodectic mange  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Need support with possible demodectic mange
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:28:24 pm »
I'm worried because Bella has a couple of little bald spots are her head.  They are only the size of the tip of a pencil, but she had to be treated for demodex when she was about 2 or 3 months old.  The vet assured me at the time that puppies' immune systems are changing so much that it can happen.  She is 9 months old now, and we are headed to the vet to get it checked out tomorrow.  The vet had said previously that if she were a year or older, we would need to worry about underlying problems that may be causing immune problems.
We'll see tomorrow if it is what I fear, but has anyone had experience with demodectic mange? :(
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

EllieAndBlu

Re: Need support with possible demodectic mange
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:54:40 pm »
I am sorry to hear that Bella may have mange... I have a little bit of experience with this.... My girl Ellie had a case of demodectic mange when she was about 9-10 months old. She had red scaley patches on the side of her face and on her neck... Her vet also said it is common in pups because their immune system is not fully developed... I cant remember exactly what the treatment was... I think it was an antibiotic so Ellie's sores wouldn't get infected...and then I had to give her some sort of liquid med for 30 days.

I am happy to report... Ellie is now 2 1/2 and has been mange-free since.

Feel better Bella!

Hope this info helps...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 08:02:32 pm by EllieAndBlu »

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »
Merlin had a couple of red scaley spots on his face and one leg at about the same age. It was never diagnosis officially as mange, but I am sure that is what it was. We had a special soap to be used twice a day, ointment for afterwards and an antibiotic. It has not reoccured and he is almost 5.
According to my vet early and prompt treatment is the key to success in treating mange. Left unchecked it gets life threatening thru infection and the dog becomes immuno-comprimised.
Sounds like you are on top of it tho.
Stella

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:14:41 am »
We're OK!  At least the vet believes that we are.  He was going to go ahead and do a skin scraping only because of her history, but Bella just wouldn't cooperate.  She does have a bad ear infection (which is the other reason that I took her in), so we are on antibiotics, low dose steroids, and ear drops.  If it is demodex (which he said that if he really thought it was then he would admit her, sedate her, and get a skin scraping), then steroids are bad for that, so it will definitely flair up.
Sounds like I'm just a little paranoid.  Better to be safe than sorry!
Thanks for the responses.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:31:33 am »
It's my understanding that dogs who have demodex have it for life. They just may or may not have flare-ups. Zoot has it for example, but has not broken out with it since he was a baby. So we are looking at 4 1/2 years with no flare-ups. :) I have read that stress can cause demodex to flare up.
I think good nutrition is key for these dogs, as well as your basic exercise, sunlight, fresh air and lots of love. ;D

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 08:18:11 am »
It's my understanding that dogs who have demodex have it for life. They just may or may not have flare-ups. Zoot has it for example, but has not broken out with it since he was a baby. So we are looking at 4 1/2 years with no flare-ups. :) I have read that stress can cause demodex to flare up.
I think good nutrition is key for these dogs, as well as your basic exercise, sunlight, fresh air and lots of love. ;D
Yes, from what my vet explained to me, all dogs have the mite that causes demodex.  They get it at birth from their mothers, it's just when something causes their immune systems to lower, the mite will multiply and cause demodectic mange.  He said that he could do a skin scraping on any dog and find the mite, although he may only find a couple, and he may have to scrape the entire dog!  If your baby hasn't had it again, then their immune system is A-OK. :)