Author Topic: dilated cardiomyopathy  (Read 2895 times)

Offline threebigdogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
dilated cardiomyopathy
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:49:08 pm »
Hello
Our two year old girlie, Raven, was just diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy .  The vet says she is in the early stages of the disease, but it is fatal.  I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and/or suggestions. I have done some research on the internet and there is some thought that a taurine supplement might help. Any insight would be appreciated!
Thanks 

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: dilated cardiomyopathy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:15:42 pm »
I don't have any information to pass along just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and Raven.  Please keep us posted.

Cindy

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:12:04 pm »
When I was growing up my aunt had a newfie, Christy.  She was a great dog and encouraged my love in large hairy slobbery dogs.  lol  They weren't really dog people, though they cared for her and loved her in their own way. 

Anywho, she was diagnosed with DCM and lived to be 10yrs old.  She might have lived longer, but they chose to have her PTS when she started getting out of breath a lot.  They were worried she was going to pass away and one of the kids would find her (like i said, not really dog people..)  I'm not sure if they medicated her or not since it was around 12yrs ago.

All in all, I just wanted to let you know that some dogs diagnosed can live longer lives.  Best of luck with Raven.

PS  When Tenchi's seizures where closer together we were adding canned cat food since they have more taurine than dog foods.  I think Lamb based dog foods have the least amount of it.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline threebigdogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 05:44:15 am »
Thanks everybody for your kind thoughts and suggestions.  I heard about lamb based foods being a potential problem from someone else today - and thats what we fed her when she was a pup. We just bought her some innova dog food which has taurine in it and I am definitely taking the puppy off the eagle large breed (lamb and rice) just in case. It's good to hear that other dogs have lived fairly long lives with this condition, that's what I am praying for Raven.  She is such a sweet girl and she has been through so much already - shoulder surgery for OCD, urinary tract infections as a puppy, and she almost died from a clostridia infection last summer.  The vet says I have the worst luck that he has seen in 25 years!  Anyway, I am open to any other suggestions,
thanks again 
jen

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:51:54 am »
I can't offer any advice as it isn't something I have encountered with any of mine, but I hope she has a long and happy life.

I feed my three Newfs a lamb and rice complete food, which is now worrying me :o
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline threebigdogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 06:13:45 am »
I haven't done a lot of research on it yet, and I fed my last newf lamb and rice and she was always very healthy...I think there may be a genetic component as well, but I'm not going to take any chances :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33:39 am »
I don't have any advice either, but am wishing you and Raven the very best!  Have you tried consulting a veterinary cardiologist?  Maybe there are some new, cutting edge treatments you could try!

I am so sorry you are going through this!!

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 02:38:18 am »
Jen-

I'm so sorry to hear of Raven's diagnosis. I'm sending you both hugs. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. I am happy to hear that many other dogs with the same diagnosis have lived long lives.

Take care!
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn