Author Topic: Rescued 2 year old golden  (Read 3362 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Rescued 2 year old golden
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:22:38 pm »
I just got my first Golden, from the local Golden retriever rescue. She is 2 years old, seems very sweet, she is way over weight, needs to lose at least 30 pounds.
Just wondered if any of you have any pointers on this breed, things to look for, things that will make her life better, and good ways to help her lose this weight.
So far she hasn't bothered my cat's much, just wants to smell them. ;-)  Of course they don't know that, but I think they will be friends soon.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts

Aimee

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Rescued 2 year old golden
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:05:23 pm »
Hello and welcome.
Congrats on the new addition to your family. I am not an expert on Goldens, but I can give you some pointers on the weight thing. My Lab became overweight from over feeding. We can no longer free feed her, she gets 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one at supper time. This of course depends on the food type you feed. I feed Innova Evo and therefore she gets less than I would feed her of another brand of food. Every dog is different, you may find that you can free feed your pup, Harley loves food, so she can't be free fed. We take her for lots of walks and bike rides, and to the dog park. We are also careful with the treats she gets, some of them are just packed with fat. Harley gets evo treats and bison pupperonni. It is dried bison meat. Again you'll find out what your pup likes. For the first while it will be trail and error. And everyone here will be glad to give you advice. And I know there are quite a few on here that have goldens, they'll be able to give you some tips.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)